X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 05-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Percocet makes me feel good

I am on percocet after I had an injury and it puts me in a really good mood. Percocet is oxycodone and acetaminophone. I've never really used pain killers before (usually don't even take aspirin). Now I don't want to become some drug addict, but I do like how I am in a good mood and relaxed so are there any supplements or OTC drugs you recommend that are similar? Does this explain my anxiety a bit that these particular drugs really do the trick for me?
AlwaysOnTheOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheOutside View Post
I am on percocet after I had an injury and it puts me in a really good mood. Percocet is oxycodone and acetaminophone. I've never really used pain killers before (usually don't even take aspirin). Now I don't want to become some drug addict, but I do like how I am in a good mood and relaxed so are there any supplements or OTC drugs you recommend that are similar? Does this explain my anxiety a bit that these particular drugs really do the trick for me?
I love this post so much I'd hug it if I could. Enjoy it while it lasts, there's no OTC opiate out there I can think of.
VagueResemblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh god, take it from somebody who is still dealing with a dependence from medical use of opioids:

Don't mess around with them. They do not care who you are, and will kick your *** if you use them for long enough. They are understandably a very seductive drug but seriously, your situation is nowhere near close to being an appropriate therapeutic use for opioids.

I say this with every bit of seriousness possible - if you just want to use them to get HIGH every once in a while, fine. The chances of developing an addiction or dependence is still quite high, but as soon as you start thinking of your opioid use as medically/therapeutically justifiable, you are REALLY ****ed.

Of course you feel good on them. That's a HUGE function of the endogenous opioid system in the first place. It says nothing about you or your anxiety or the etiology of your mental issues whatsoever. Find a different way...
meyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had to take percocet a lot in the past 4 years. It does make you feel really good, but I heard it can be addicting. I still have a bottle full of the pills in my medicine cabinet so I'm lucky that I didn't get hooked. I only used them when I was in pain.
sash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

opioids are the ****. I manage to take them periodically for anxiety. specifically tramadol and dilaudid
martyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

This thread wins the "no sh*t award" :P. Yup, opioids make you feel really good (ask heroin users, heh), they help anxiety and depression, but the addiction, tolerance and withdrawal are terrible from what I've heard.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well sorry for not being a drug addict and being an expert on drugs.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Do they help your social anxiety?

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
Do they help your social anxiety?
I think so, but it's hard to say.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I think so, but it's hard to say.
Well, to answer your original question, buprenorphine has been used succesfully for treatment resistant depression, the problem is that its pretty hard to get, but its the thing your looking for. OTC there's nothing as good.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

I love this post so much I'm going to quote it again.
Quote:
Welcome to your first opiate high. You'll be joining us in the alley, shooting up junkie puke, in no time! I'll make room. Stay away from the dumpster, that's my house.

And this.
Quote:
Nobody's trying to mock you for not knowing about this, no worries. At least I'm not..

There's a definite impact on anxiety, oh hell yes. This says something about the drug rather than about the type of anxiety you have; I use morphine and it is just a powerful painkiller, physical and emotional. The day after a good dose has me fully functional, the aftereffects leaving me happy and calm without a trace of social fear.. but relying on this would have me addicted in no time at all. So I keep to recreational use maybe once a month.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Does it mean that mood is more my issue than anxiety though? If I think about things, I can be a lot more social when I am in a good mood.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Does it mean that mood is more my issue than anxiety though? If I think about things, I can be a lot more social when I am in a good mood.
That's a difficult question, only you can judge. Mood of course is an issue, of course a person will feel sad/depressed when socially impaired due to fear. Whether that feeling in turn feeds the anxiety is something you'd know better than I.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
That's really not something you need to apologize for, I just really hope you keep it that way. Seeking out opioids to treat yourself will change your drug addict status very quickly. As VagueResemblance somewhat implied, even recreational use of these opoids (a class which heroin also belongs to) is much less likely to turn your into an addict than the belief that you're treating something, although for some people it is still rather like playing with fire. It's strange but, if your goal is just to get high and have some fun once in a while with the drugs, you're actually much better off than treating it as a "medication" that helps you, especially if a doctor hasn't prescribed it or if you're using it for something other than what your doctor prescribed it for, or in a way other than how your doctor told you to use it.

I don't know about where you live, but here, codeine is available in some OTC drugs, but its OTC status doesn't mean it's a better choice for avoiding addiction at all, it can actually be worse despite the fact that it's very weak in comparison. At least a prescription drug (when prescribed, of course), allows the doctor to limit your use and give you a reality check it starts getting out of hand. The whole "gateway drug" thing about weed is BS, but with codeine there's some truth to it because it causes tolerance and, being a very weak opioid, people will eventually start seeking out stronger versions. They move onto vicodin/percocets, which are really just stronger forms of codeine (a bit simplified but I'm not going to get technical.) Then they may move on to oxycontin (same drug that's in percocets, but often in far larger amounts), or other potent opioids like morphine/hydromorphone/oxymorphine or even fentanyl.

And then when these drugs become WAY too expensive to get the effect they need, or if they've been somehow getting a prescription from a doctor who refuses to increase their dosage or even cut them off, then they turn to heroin, which is cheap and potent. You may think you could never possibly make that decision, and the people starting down this path rarely do, but it happens to them anyways. I've tried to rationalize with these people, talk them out of it when they're on the brink of such a decision, but it's obvious their mind is made up. They have a counter-argument for everything, no matter how ridiculous, but it makes total sense in their heads. THIS is what it means to be addicted. The physical dependence is one thing, I know first hand how bad the withdrawals can be. But it's nothing compared to actual addiction, where the drug starts invading your mind, thoughts, ability to reason, it literally creeps into all these things until the drug is the only thing you can really think of, and the drug is the only thing that makes sense. When people start considering the transition to heroin, in my experience they are already past the point of no return. They delude themselves into thinking they have a choice, but it's clear that their mind is already made up and nothing will talk them out of it.

At first they may just snort it or something but eventually that is not enough. Maybe they'll start smoking it or something to get an even stronger effect. But eventually it's not enough, and only one thing remains - all roads lead to the needle.

I realize that may sound a bit alarmist but that really is how a lot of IV heroin users started out. None of them intended to be anywhere near where they ended up.

Quote:
Well, to answer your original question, buprenorphine has been used succesfully for treatment resistant depression, the problem is that its pretty hard to get, but its the thing your looking for. OTC there's nothing as good.
oh christ Wes... I have yet to meet a personal who DOESN'T feel better on opioids, mentally ill or not. Responding to it in a positive way is not an indicator of anything. Hell, if he DIDN'T feel good from oxycodone, then I'd really start feeling concerned , all it proves is that he's normal in this regard.

If it's an issue that REALLY requires opiate or bupe therapy, let a doctor do it. Yes, I know it's unbelievably rare, but generally there is a very good reason for that. Validating someone's belief that they might possibly NEED a drug like this when they have almost no chance of getting it is probably not a good idea, and if you just leave it at that, stopping short of even mentioning the negative aspects of the issue, well that's DEFINITELY not a good idea. If somebody's convinced that opioid therapy is what they need, and their doctor inevitably denies it to them, then congratulations, you've just witnessed the possible birth of an eventual heroin addict. Recklessly participating in this possibility is just...

I mean I understand the desire to provide the OP with factual information, but if you're going to do so, you practically have a responsibility to emphasize the serious and potentially life-ruining consequences of self-medicating with opioids. "Self-medication" includes using a legally obtained/prescribed drug (especially if it involves any sort of physician manipulation) and using it for a purpose other than strictly prescribed. Heck, even using these drugs AS prescribed for long enough can create a really hellish situation, as I've found out, but I've only got a dependence - and regardless of how much the withdrawals suck, getting past a dependence is FAR easier than getting past an addiction. Many if not most opioid and even straight-up heroin addicts start off with therapeutic intentions for self-medicating but all this does is create a psychological reliance which sets the stage for a full-blown addiction.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I have yet to meet a personal who DOESN'T feel better on opioids
Here i am..

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyaj View Post
Many if not most opioid and even straight-up heroin addicts start off with therapeutic intentions for self-medicating but all this does is create a psychological reliance which sets the stage for a full-blown addiction.
Heroin's done. The vast majority of opiate users now (in my area) use prescription drugs, and the majority of them have legitimate prescriptions. It's amazing how quickly a person can go from using percs or oxy to deal with pain to living in the shelter and coming to visit me at the needle exchange.

~ Nick Cave
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Here i am..
I didn't say cured, or all problems wiped away.

Some people feel dysphoric the first few times using an opioid (extreme nausea doesn't help). Heck, I feel worse, depending on the dose.

But if you simply can't get high off of any opioids, you have either not been trying hard enough, or you are a freak of nature with no hope of recovery because your body is apparently unable to utilize things like endorphins and enkaphalins properly (clearly not just a "deficiency"), though if this were the case you'd have FAR greater problems.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyaj View Post
I didn't say cured, or all problems wiped away.

Some people feel dysphoric the first few times using an opioid (extreme nausea doesn't help). Heck, I feel worse, depending on the dose.

But if you simply can't get high off of any opioids, you have either not been trying hard enough, or you are a freak of nature with no hope of recovery because your body is apparently unable to utilize things like endorphins and enkaphalins properly (clearly not just a "deficiency"), though if this were the case you'd have FAR greater problems.
Well, ive been taking oxycodone in doses up to (hmm let me check bluelight).
Quote:
last week i got my hands on oxycodone, and i have taken it a few times allready, but i dont seem to get much effect from it, rather then just feeling tired when taking a high dose (80mg) and not much from taking something like 40mg
Ive had whole bunch as it was prescribed tried it in all kinds of doses MANY times without any effect. However with ritalin they did work, i'm just completely immune to them when i take them on their own.

Beleive me, not a single "suggestion" of euphoria on those high doses, just completely useless.

Anyway, why did we start this discussion in the first place lol? Even tough they would usually help with mood, there are more ppl that dont find them great for social anxiety.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't intend to be condescending, I was joking more than anything. As other people have mentioned, self-medicating with drugs like Percocet very often leads down a road to self destruction. Be careful .

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
Heroin's done. The vast majority of opiate users now (in my area) use prescription drugs, and the majority of them have legitimate prescriptions. It's amazing how quickly a person can go from using percs or oxy to deal with pain to living in the shelter and coming to visit me at the needle exchange.
I totally agree, and even many heroin users I've talked to would prefer certain pharms if it was financially or logistically feasible. Though there are without a doubt many who simply prefer the rush that heroin brings, and don't give much of a damn about needle hygiene or the suspect potency/purity of scoring heroin powder off the street. Many say hydromorphone is even more intense, although intravenously it's so short-acting that the tradeoff isn't considered worth it. I've heard of otherwise sensible people using puddle water to load their shot...

But yeah, even "legitimate" use doesn't guarantee you won't end up like that, and it's an issue you really need to take into your own hands. Still, sometimes these drugs are necessary, but I would never recommend using them, no matter how therapeutically justifiable you believe it to be, without a doctor to maintain SOME degree of control over dose escalation.