X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default paxil and risperdal

Is anyone on both of these together? My therapist is considering adding the Risperdal to my 60 mg Paxil for my obsessive analytic thoughts that haven't subsided.
hypnotized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: paxil and risperdal

im on paxil and zyprexa instead. Zyprexa is just like risperdal. I only use it as an appetite stimulant but it may or may not help other problems.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was on risperdal but for depression with pychotic features so the antipsychotic made me relax but the bad thing about risperdal is it can make you eat like a pig or induce weight gain and avoid excessive sunlight because I had feelings of panic or like unreality like I was going to faint. I cant prove it but for some reason my appetite increased when taking 4mg of risperdal. as for paxil I havent had much experience with that medication since 2003 except it made me feel more nervous.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok thank you. does anyone have a suggestion for a better alternative to risperdal?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotized
ok thank you. does anyone have a suggestion for a better alternative to risperdal?
well, I asked a Walgreens pharmacist what antipsychotic would have the least side effects and he told me Abilify. Ive tried Abilify before at 10mg and helped me sleep better. Another one is Geodon, if you live in the U.S. it should be available. But like with the Abilify its the most expensive drug I have encountered. its like 440 dollars for 30 tablets at 10mg strength but im in tx so it could be less in other areas or worse i really dont know much about the cost. ask your local pharmacist about any drug he or she is the drug expert and can tell you any questions you have about the drug youre interested in. good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotized
Is anyone on both of these together? My therapist is considering adding the Risperdal to my 60 mg Paxil for my obsessive analytic thoughts that haven't subsided.
An antipsychotic for what sounds like OCD? Ummm, I don't like the sound of it. How is Paxil working?

I would not recommend an antipsychotic for this. By the way, you have the right to know if you are being treated for psychosis (since, theoretically, you wouldn't actually KNOW if you were psychotic), so she/he is simply using an antipsychotic for OCD, and that, TO ME, makes no sense, whatsoever. Have you ever tried anything else?

In all honesty, I would save antipsychotics as one of the last-resort medication therapies, unless you are dealing with schizophrenia and/or psychosis.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak Easy
An antipsychotic for what sounds like OCD? Ummm, I don't like the sound of it.
I definitely have OCD and SSRIs (Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft) never seemed to help with that nor any other problem. I've tried both Zyprexa & Abilify and they too are worse than taking nothing in my case.

Zyprexa is a drug I regularly rant about. My GP gave my Zyprexa for SA (as he's a member of The-Anything-But-A-Benzo club). At my first visit to him I weighed in at an obese 246 lbs (anything over 220 would be obese at 6'0"). I knew Zyprexa was infamous for causing weight gain and I immediately brought up the weight issue as he wrote a Zyprexa script as fast as humanly possible. Dr. Dumbass dismissed my concerns with "Not everyone gains weight on Zyprexa." Yeah, and not everyone who plays Russian Roulette ends up with bullet in their head either.

It's hard to imagine what twisted form of thinking is needed to give Zyprexa to a patient that already had high blood pressure due to obesity when other options were available. After I gained 25# in six weeks on Zyprexa and reported that it didn't make me feel better in any way he finally had to accept it wasn't the drug for me.

Dr. Dumbass is also responsible for giving me Abilify, again for SA. I took it for 3 months and it felt like taking a sugar pill (while Zyprexa made me feel drugged till I got used to it). Abilify allegedly doesn't cause weight gain. I would take issue with that allegation as I gained 30# over those 3 months. I had been losing weight prior to taking Abilify and as soon as I stopped Abilify my weight plateaued. I can't proved it caused the weight gain, but it sure would be one hell of a stunning coincidence if it didn't.

At this point I only take Xanax and have given up on trying to treat my OCD as none of the options available for OCD treatment seem acceptable. I know there is Anafranil (widely used for OCD before SSRIs came along). I've never tried it, but my experience with other TCAs suggests I wouldn't like another TCA.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

well, i don't believe i have OCD, i just analyze people so obsessively that i can't pay attention to what's going on (in conversation, etc.) a lot of the time. i don't know if that's just part of the SA or if it's a separate problem. it's a hamster on a wheel kind of issue, circular thoughts. my therapist thinks a mild antipsychotic may help. i'm not sure what to think at this point.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak Easy
An antipsychotic for what sounds like OCD? Ummm, I don't like the sound of it.
I definitely have OCD and SSRIs (Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft) never seemed to help with that nor any other problem. I've tried both Zyprexa & Abilify and they too are worse than taking nothing in my case.

Zyprexa is a drug I regularly rant about. My GP gave my Zyprexa for SA (as he's a member of The-Anything-But-A-Benzo club). At my first visit to him I weighed in at an obese 246 lbs (anything over 220 would be obese at 6'0"). I knew Zyprexa was infamous for causing weight gain and I immediately brought up the weight issue as he wrote a Zyprexa script as fast as humanly possible. Dr. Dumbass dismissed my concerns with "Not everyone gains weight on Zyprexa." Yeah, and not everyone who plays Russian Roulette ends up with bullet in their head either.

It's hard to imagine what twisted form of thinking is needed to give Zyprexa to a patient that already had high blood pressure due to obesity when other options were available. After I gained 25# in six weeks on Zyprexa and reported that it didn't make me feel better in any way he finally had to accept it wasn't the drug for me.

Dr. Dumbass is also responsible for giving me Abilify, again for SA. I took it for 3 months and it felt like taking a sugar pill (while Zyprexa made me feel drugged till I got used to it). Abilify allegedly doesn't cause weight gain. I would take issue with that allegation as I gained 30# over those 3 months. I had been losing weight prior to taking Abilify and as soon as I stopped Abilify my weight plateaued. I can't proved it caused the weight gain, but it sure would be one hell of a stunning coincidence if it didn't.

At this point I only take Xanax and have given up on trying to treat my OCD as none of the options available for OCD treatment seem acceptable. I know there is Anafranil (widely used for OCD before SSRIs came along). I've never tried it, but my experience with other TCAs suggests I wouldn't like another TCA.
you should try Anafranil and Adderall geez.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote