Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts

Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Over the Counter Anxiety Meds??

Is there any over the counter anxiety meds I can get at like a Wal-mart,GNC or something?

Just something to get you through one day if you know your going to need it?
Basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I doubt you're going to find any that truly work. The DEA would instantly jump on anything that had any true mind-altering effect.

Alcohol is the only thing I'm aware of that is OTC and definitely reduces anxiety. Obviously, this particular OTC drug has some clear drawbacks.
gytar likes this.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

(Hypericum) St Johns Wort is a naturally occurring herb which comes in Pill or Tea bag form.

"The St John's wort mechanism is believed to involve inhibition of serotonin (5-HT) reuptake, much like the conventional selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants."(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John...al_composition)

Also I saw this weird anti-anxiety/stress chinese medicine at the local health food store which is in tablet form with a combination of all sorts of weird chinese herbs.
Phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Benadryl has sedative properties and can help relieve some anxiety.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

the OTC antihistamined help some people
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma View Post
The anti histamines Chlorpheniramine and Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) are mentioned on the anxiolytic page on wikipedia, but I've not tried them yet.
I used to use that when visiting anybody who had cats. I used it simply because it was the cheapest antihistamine at about $2.75 per hundred pills at Walmart and was supposed to be the least sedating of the OTC allergy pills. This was before any of the "non-sedating" antihistamines went OTC (though Claritin [loratadine] only gets to be labeled "non-sedating" because the recommended dose is too low to be effective for many patients even according to the FDA).

Fine for allergies; does zip for anxiety.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why isn't there much said about Kava? I have a sack of root powder, but back when I tried it, it didn't work. Now I'm kinda interested in trying it again, since I'm off SSRIs. And I'll try to prepare it differently.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've tried Valerian Root, L-Theanine, St. John's Wort etc. It is all crap. None of it works.
hey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

many types of OTC antihistamines are available as hayfever pills, in some cough syrips, as travel sickness pills and sometimes sleeping pills, a US OTC sleeping pills has doxylamine succinate which would calm during the day but in a small dose wouldnt send you to sleep

as with all meds the rule is " ALWAYS TRY IT OUT AT HOME FIRST", and if you intend to go out for a couple of social drinks, experiment with a couple of drinks at home also

the level of sedation varies for everyone, so does the appropriate dose, you need to experiment at home, stops risk of dancing on the table or strip tease up on table when out.

main problem is next day hangover, feeling drunk, only solution I know is lots of strong coffee, but this would be acceptable to many of us SA sufferers for an enjoyable night out, a beta blocker pill would also help

benzophobe docs may well prescribe antihistamine type tranquillisers so ask
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesix88 View Post
Antihistamines are the only thing I want try someday. I heard they have a sedative effect.
These are dumb drugs.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

st johns wort dosent help with anxiety just depression, i suggest valerian and antihistamines
wwefwjndrg3274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey25 View Post
I've tried Valerian Root, L-Theanine, St. John's Wort etc. It is all crap. None of it works.
L-Theanine works for me when I take 500 mg at once, but only at that dosage. Anything less doesn't do much for me.

It gives me a nice, calm feeling, but at 500 mg twice a day, it gets kind of expensive.
Bluemeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Antihistamines are great if you want to feel like an anxious zombie (or if your allergies are acting up.)
DMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Angry help for anxiety please!!!!!!

I have yet to find anything iver the counter that will help with anxiety and insomnia. I have tried, St. John's wart, valerian root, skullcap, you name it.
All this stuff did for me was bring on a terrible panic attack!! Not to mention clean out my wallet Please if anyone out there has found something that really helps, please let me know. I might have to go back to using klonopin, but I really don't want too if there is something better and safer out there.
Thank you
RandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Robaxcent with aspirin or melatonin gravol or claritin, dxm
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

There is no good, easy, otc med. I've said before and I'll say it again; herbs such as valerian, st. John's, skullcap, catnip and kava-kava, etc. Can have an effect, but not if you buy them at Walgreens, GNC, or other places likes that; they will not have an effect because they are not of high quality. I have had positive effects, especially from Kava-Kava and Valerian root but both were purchased very fresh, bulk and of high quality. Buying some capsules at the store never works, you can take a bottle of it and just get a tummy ache. But properly prepared fresh Kava infusion (it needs fat and heat and to be ground fine) in a solution to drink, Valerian can feel just as strong as any benzo a few times It requires a lot of fresh root powder prepared in a hot tea.

So no, there is no such thing as an easy OTC anxiety med.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've been wondering the same thing actually. I guess I'll have to try what ever I can get then based off this thread.
The Phantom Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have tried pretty much everything OTC with no luck. I wouldn't recommend it. Best so far for me is Klonopin, a benzo. If you need something to alleviate anxiety quickly, benzo is the drug.
DeafBoy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ok, everyone is saying that these OTC medications don't work. They do. I have prescribed every single one of them to my patients at one time or another. If one doesn't work satisfactory, then I prescribe them a new one until we can find one that truly works for them. In fact, I have tried all of them, and they all work. In fact, they treat anxiety and depression better than prescription medications that some of my colleagues prescribe. Keep in mind, that one OTC medication might work for one person, while it might not work for another. All of our bodies and brains have different levels of sensitivity and function. It just has to do with your Central Nervous System and the wiring in your brain. I hope this information I have provided has helped some of you.

Dr. Kiylieanah
Kiylieanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

I don't know how it works yet, but inositol. I'm trying it out in a few weeks to see if there is an obliterating effect, or rejuvenating one, for lacks of better terms.