On Klonopin 6 mg per day (Very helpful but is that safe?) - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question On Klonopin 6 mg per day (Very helpful but is that safe?)

I have suffered from severe social anxiety for all my life... never could speak up for myself.. so shy.. finally got hold of my psychiatrist to give me Klonopin (he prescribed 1 mg/day). I tried that out... sort of worked but was not strong enough. So I tried increasing the dose slowly.. and now I'm at 3mg in the morn and 3 mg in the eve. It works perfectly. I'm almost free of all social anxiety. I can be myself the way I want to be. Thought I finally found the solution to this huge disabling problem in my life. I can perform so much better at work, catch up with old schoolmates that I never could've dreamt of without Klonopin. So I'm happy finally..

I also heard that tolerance does not build up to the Anti-anxiety effects at all. And read about people using klonopin for 20 years +. So I just thought I'll walk that way long term klonopin perhaps if thats the only thing that can set me free from the the pain I experience due to crippling social anxiety.

Qn 1: Does anyone out here take 6mg + per day long term??
Qn 2: I know bout the withdrawal symptoms.... But I'm not going to worry about it until 20 years from now (I'm only 30 now)... But what precautions should I take???
Qn 3: What is the max safe dosage per day a person can take??
Qn 4: Any suggestions welcome..

Thanks.. Ashwin
Ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
I have suffered from severe social anxiety for all my life... never could speak up for myself.. so shy.. finally got hold of my psychiatrist to give me Klonopin (he prescribed 1 mg/day). I tried that out... sort of worked but was not strong enough. So I tried increasing the dose slowly.. and now I'm at 3mg in the morn and 3 mg in the eve. It works perfectly. I'm almost free of all social anxiety. I can be myself the way I want to be. Thought I finally found the solution to this huge disabling problem in my life. I can perform so much better at work, catch up with old schoolmates that I never could've dreamt of without Klonopin. So I'm happy finally..

I also heard that tolerance does not build up to the Anti-anxiety effects at all. And read about people using klonopin for 20 years +. So I just thought I'll walk that way long term klonopin perhaps if thats the only thing that can set me free from the the pain I experience due to crippling social anxiety.

Qn 1: Does anyone out here take 6mg + per day long term??
Qn 2: I know bout the withdrawal symptoms.... But I'm not going to worry about it until 20 years from now (I'm only 30 now)... But what precautions should I take???
Qn 3: What is the max safe dosage per day a person can take??
Qn 4: Any suggestions welcome..

Thanks.. Ashwin
Hey ashwin

I was on 2MG of klonopin for just under one year
I sometimes managed to save a few and take 6MG in social situations or if i was especially anxious or preparing for something i did not want to do like a family gathering or public meeting etc. i found at first 6MG was like walking on air, i would lie down and feel like i was lying on a cloud, i also felt extremely dizzy and sick. I could not eat and my throat was dry. Sleeping was easy but it did not help socializing. 2-3MG of lorazepam was a great social inhibitor but 6MG of a supposedly stronger benzo (klonopin) was not effective in making me more sociable which was strange but the side effects were stronger, however you will find you build up a tolerance to them and coming off them or even just cutting down to 5.5MG a day will make you feel a bit sick and give u headaches so be careful, i am withdrawing now and on 0.0MG a day and its horrible, i mean the effects are not as bad ad they were but i am still cranky and cannot sleep seriously its like being off heroin or something its ridiculous so be careful with them because they are difficult to let go of, even though you may not feel like they are doing anything

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

the only thing id be concerned about it memory loss/cognitive difficulty.

that beinig said i too find this med very helpful.

withdrawals can be serious (seizures) or moderate (anxiety, craziness, mania).

but if you ever need to go off it just do it with a doc
InterestinglyInteresting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

it's not safe. an article was just published a few days on psychology today saying that benzos cause brain damage.
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipe For Disaster View Post
it's not safe. an article was just published a few days on psychology today saying that benzos cause brain damage.
Could you link to this article.

As far as I knew it wasn't dangerous, but you probably shouldn't be driving on that much.
FateFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateFilter View Post
Could you link to this article. As far as I knew it wasn't dangerous, but you probably shouldn't be driving on that much.

It's a blog. Here's the link:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/node/50664

I don't buy most of it but I agree about tolerance to anti-anxiety effects. That definitely occurred with me. About long-term memory problems even after stopping them. I'm not sure but I'm not very convinced. Memory problems while on them. They occur but they're sedatives, so it's not surprising. I think some of it is just benzophobic hysteria.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post
It's a blog. Here's the link:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/node/50664

I don't buy most of it but I agree about tolerance to anti-anxiety effects. That definitely occurred with me. About long-term memory problems even after stopping them. I'm not sure but I'm not very convinced. Memory problems while on them. They occur but they're sedatives, so it's not surprising. I think some of it is just benzophobic hysteria.
It is based on a British newspaper article, and the British are known for their harsh stance on benzos, so I do think a lot of it is hysteria. I bet there is a little brain damage, but something like the damage from alcohol, but on a much smaller scale. Any damage is probably made up for in cell regrowth and ends up without any real damage. That's my guess at least. There's no real proof right now that I know of.
FateFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

its much, much worse than damage from alcohol. there are many cases of people only taking benzos for a few months and ending up with long term symptoms. there are horror stories like this all over the internet. it's not some mass conspiracy. benzos actually cause this type of thing in an alarmingly large percentage of their users. i know from firsthand experience, being off benzos 16 months now and still quite mentally disabled. go to benzo.org.uk.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh how did I know RFD would be posting in this thread
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

i'm trying to stay away from benzo threads but someone asking if it's safe to take 6 mg of klonopin every day? how could i resist?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
i'm trying to stay away from benzo threads but someone asking if it's safe to take 6 mg of klonopin every day? how could i resist?
I couldn't agree more
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post

Depends I suppose, you can only expect so much from medication, I think what's problematic is when people keep pushing the dose higher and higher expecting to get the initial benefits back. After your body get's used to it, it starts to work in the background more and it may sometimes feel as if it's not working though it generally is. I would suggest sticking to 2-3mg maximum per day.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Let's just say this... In the state where I live, if you take over 4 mg per day, you need a BIG reason for doing so and even a letter from the doctor in some cases...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

I don't know, that kind of dose would probably make me feel depressed as hell.
Under17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

At .5MG it has made me sedated, but not sleep. 6MG seems really strong. You should seek professional advice.
Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

I took 4mg for about two years. It was sorta helpful for anxiety. I was able to graduate college during the time.

I eventually got tolerant and got off of it. I take xanax now and its way better for me.
Himi Jendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

klonopin is way better than being an alcholic man. I took 4 mg for about a year and never experienced any problems. I'd say it's safe.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit55 View Post
Let's just say this... In the state where I live, if you take over 4 mg per day, you need a BIG reason for doing so and even a letter from the doctor in some cases...
I like the state you live in...

btw, 6 mg/day Klonopin for 20 years IS a recipe for disaster...
leon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

My uncle is on clonopin for 20 years, and his memory is wreck :f
mikoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Finally a mainstream periodical comes out with findings and pharma cover up for profit about the cognitive impairment of even moderate daily use. Psychiatrists and patients could attest to this decades ago and now its only gaining mainstream light??

Its a sad state of affairs when there's even a reasonable suspected issue such as so and it's brushed under the carpet by big pharma and clinicians. I just shake my head. Hell as a klon. user I could of tould you most of these effects ring true!!!
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote