X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default non benzo meds

what are some of the most effective non-xanax, etc meds......? Just curious if I decide to go this route before jumping back into benzos. I know it depends on the person to a degree, and that we've had a discussion on here regarding Buspar not working significantly. How bout Visteral (sp?), etc
Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

benzos arent narcotics
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default re: non narcotic meds

u know where im going with this..... a non-benzo to be specific
Old 06-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

beta-blockers
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is an antihistamine-type antianxiety medication. I've never tried it, but I've wanted to. I have a pretty high tolerence to most antihistamines, though, so I doubt it would do much for me. It does wonders for some people, though.

Unfortunately, SSRI/SNRI antidepressant medications are probably your main option aside from benzos. There are some old tricylic antidepressants that are sometimes used for anxiety, but they carry the liability of messing with your heart at high doses.

If you feel daring, then some of the strongly sedating antipsychotics could be used to treat anxiety. Thorazine helped my anxiety, but after a while, it also left me drooling and at a loss when it came to remembering the alphabet (I actually miss that, though ). Haldol is also a sedating antipsychotic, but I don't recall any personal accounts of it from anyone on SAS. I've heard of Seroquel (another antihistaminic agent) being used to control anxiety because it is highly sedating, but there is some concern of the possibility of it being linked to causing diabetes. The same goes for Zyprexa (however, it's not an antihistamine).

Other than that, I would say that benzos are all that's left (with legitimate medical indications for anxiety treatment).

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by korey
I've heard of Seroquel (another antihistaminic agent) being used to control anxiety because it is highly sedating, but there is some concern of the possibility of it being linked to causing diabetes. The same goes for Zyprexa...
Zyprexa is a nasty drug that I'd only suggest to people I don't like. It's infamous for causing weight gain. I put on 25 pounds in just six weeks. My dumb *** GP thought giving such a drug to an already obese man was just a dandy idea (I weighed 246 before starting the drug -- clearly, a drug that is very likely to cause weight gain was the last thing such a patient needs). I'm currently just under 190 four years after Zyprexa.

IMO, antipsychotics have no legitimate use in the treatment of SA (unless you also happen to be bipolar or psychoic as well and need them for that problem). There is an almost total lack of studies to show antipsychotics effective for SA and none are FDA approved for that use, despite a huge economic incentive to get such approval -- this leads me to the obvious conclusion that the drug makers simply can't produce a study showing them effective on SA.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default re: non benzo meds

thanks guys......anyone had experience w/ beta blockers???

btw, im on 100 mg Zoloft already
Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: re: non benzo meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcarpen
thanks guys......anyone had experience w/ beta blockers???
Yeah, I've used beta blockers in the past to treat high blood pressure. I've used atenolol & metoprolol. Both certainly bring down BP and pulse rate. That had zero effect on my SA. I no longer use beta blockers as my BP is down due to weight loss now.

Of course, my SA symptoms are mainly mental -- thus I personally found them useless for my SA. If you have "stage fright" type symptoms like blushing & shaking before giving a presentation they are certainly worth a try, given that they are well-tolerated drugs.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bottom line: I don't think there's a legitimate substitute for benzos, unless you wanna take alcohol and barbs into consideration. Benzos are one of a kind.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bottom line: I don't think there's a legitimate substitute for benzos, unless you wanna take alcohol and barbs into consideration. Benzos are one of a kind.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Quote:
I've heard of Seroquel (another antihistaminic agent) being used to control anxiety because it is highly sedating, but there is some concern of the possibility of it being linked to causing diabetes. The same goes for Zyprexa...
Zyprexa is a nasty drug that I'd only suggest to people I don't like. It's infamous for causing weight gain. I put on 25 pounds in just six weeks. My dumb *** GP thought giving such a drug to an already obese man was just a dandy idea (I weighed 246 before starting the drug -- clearly, a drug that is very likely to cause weight gain was the last thing such a patient needs). I'm currently just under 190 four years after Zyprexa.

IMO, antipsychotics have no legitimate use in the treatment of SA (unless you also happen to be bipolar or psychoic as well and need them for that problem). There is an almost total lack of studies to show antipsychotics effective for SA and none are FDA approved for that use, despite a huge economic incentive to get such approval -- this leads me to the obvious conclusion that the drug makers simply can't produce a study showing them effective on SA.
I LOVE Zyprexa, its a life saver for me.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
Note that Noca is 5'10" and only 135.

I'm 6'0" and peaked at 289 due to meds, so we will certainly differ on the merits of Zyprexa. When Sears no longer has jeans that will fit my fat *** and I have to decide if I'd like to wear sweat pants that allow for infinite expansion into morbid obesity, I'm not in a good mood about the meds that put me in such a situation.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Luke, I think pdcarpen wants to stay away from anything with an addiction potential. Barbs and alcohol have a higher addiction potential than benzos, IMO. The chances of someone getting a barb prescription nowadays are slim to none, anyhow. Phenobarbital is the only pure barb I know of that is still prescribed, and even it is mainly used as an anticonvulsant (according to my psychiatrist, at least). Butalbital is the only other barb I know of that is commonly prescribed, but it comes in a preparation known as Fioricet that also contains Tylenol and caffeine (and sometimes codeine) used to treat migraine headaches and back pain. Phenobarbital is CIV and Fioricet is CIII. Most barbs beyond those two are CII and probably not available at your local pharmacy.

As for beta blockers, they are like sugar pills for someone who has naturally low blood pressure like I do. I took about five 10mg tablets of Inderal before a presentation I had to co-present with a partner last semester in biology, and I still had a shakey voice and all the other crap that worsens my anxiety. Beta blockers are good for treating headaches, though. I have a theory that they work somewhat like aspirin via changing the body's blood flow (aspirin thins your blood and beta blockers slow it down), which could alter the pounding of blood into the brain, which is responsible for most of my headaches. That's just a theory, though .

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Luke, I think pdcarpen wants to stay away from anything with an addiction potential. Barbs and alcohol have a higher addiction potential than benzos, IMO.
I know, I completely agree, but I think that benzos stand alone in efficacy. So, unless someone does wanna take barbs and alcohol into consideration, there's no way they're gonna find a replacement for benzos (I was just using barbs as emphatical means, since obviously, I don't think anybody could get a script -- not even you, Noca! )
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Quote:

just wondering, why do you love zyprexa noca? im assuming (and maybe i remember you saying it once) it may be because it gives you an appetite boost? (which might be needed considering some of those meds in your sig look like theyd heavily supress appetite!) i ditched it after a few days as it did nothing for my anxiety (the only thing it was rx'd for) and turned me into a barely functional zombie
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Ah The 'Trot is back! Where on earth have you been? Welcome back Mr Chick-Dude!

Ross
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
yeah_yeah_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default Re: re: non benzo meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
Ah The 'Trot is back! Where on earth have you been? Welcome back Mr Chick-Dude!

Ross
still here reguarly, just havent had a lot to contribute lately...
had a big job interview the other day so preparing for that has taken up some time... just found out i was unsuccessful but at least i handled it reasonably and didnt have a nasty panic attack or 'go mute' so that's a positive! i feel i must qualify your chick-dude comment in case anyone's thinking i have transvestite tendencies! [i previously had an avatar with a rather foxy feline on feature which ross confused with being a photograph of me- that it was not, much to ross's dismay]. cheers for the welcome...
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

I was wrong! My insurance website lists Seconal Sodium 100mg pulvules as a medication covered (only $50 for #60 of them ), and it's a CII barb, isn't it? It also lists mephobarbital tablets and butalbarbital tablets. These are all under "Sedative-Hypnotic Barbiturates." I wonder who in our network actually has a prescription for these .

</random mumbling>

Things I have tried:
Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Nae

Quote:
I was wrong! My insurance website lists Seconal Sodium 100mg pulvules as a medication covered (only $50 for #60 of them ), and it's a CII barb, isn't it? It also lists mephobarbital tablets and butalbarbital tablets. These are all under "Sedative-Hypnotic Barbiturates." I wonder who in our network actually has a prescription for these .

</random mumbling>
Considering Seconal is a popular drug (alone or in a cocktail) for suicide, I doubt many people have a prescription..
Nae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae
Quote:

</random mumbling>
Considering Seconal is a popular drug (alone or in a cocktail) for suicide, I doubt many people have a prescription..
Enough must have it for them to cover it in the network's medication database. I'm aware that strong barbs like Seconal are popular suicide drugs, but they apparently still serve some legitimate purpose being as they're listed and covered by my insurance.

Things I have tried: