X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Neurologists?

Can Neurologists prescribe antidepressants to their pateints? Im curious because I need a med change and dont have any psychiatrists in my home town that are accepting new patients.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think primary care doctors would be your best choice. They prescribe antidepressants but would probably not feel comfortable prescribing the more rarely used ones (Nardil, Parnate, tricyclic ADs). Neurologists mostly work with headaches, strokes, seizures and other neurological disorders, not psychological ones.

ps. Though I am sure any doctor could prescribe any medication with the exception of certain controlled substances (pain medications).
bowlingpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingpins View Post
I think primary care doctors would be your best choice.
So you think it be best if i see a GP you mean? because i have symptoms of sleep apnea where i cant physically breath I wake up gasping for air while asleep. no bad dreams or anything I thought a neurologist could help me in addition to treating my depression.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

^ as far as I know, PCPs can see you for sleep apnea too. waking up gasping for air sounds frightening. hope you get it sorted out.
bowlingpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you think you have sleep apnea, you should have a sleep study done so they can determine the specifics and possibly give you a CPAP to wear to sleep. Any MD can order a sleep study, as far as I know. Also, any MD can prescribe any approved medication (though, there are specialties that probably won't prescribe certain types of meds because it would be inappropriate and out of their field, like a psychiatrist generally won't prescribe antibiotics and a neurologist probably won't prescribe acne medicine, lol). I think they monitor brainwaves during a sleep study, and neurologists are into that kinda stuff, so seeing a neurologist for a sleep study wouldn't be weird or out of place. I don't think any doctor in his right mind would turn you away or bother with putting you on some sort of referral waiting list when he hears that you're having trouble breathing while asleep. Lack of oxygen is not something to play wait-and-see with.

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote