Nardil VS. Parnate - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Reply
Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 459



Default Nardil VS. Parnate

I know there might be a thread about this somewhere...

i've been wondering if anyone's ever taken nardil and switched to parnate or vice versa. I'm thinking of replacing nardil with parnate. I've been on nardil for 5 months at 75mg and nothing. It helps with one major physical symptoms...but depression, anxiety still there. I'm going to try slowly move it up to 90mg and see what happens. so any experience with switching guys?

and which did you find better when you did?
fraidycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Connecticut
Age: 32
Posts: 124



Default Re: Nardil VS. Parnate

I never switched but if 75mg Nardil didn't work 90mg probably won't either. Then again if you aren't having any bad side effects give it a go.
__________________
RX:Nardil:60mg,Klonopin:as needed.,Seroquel:25mg(for Nardil Insomnia)
Diagnosis:Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Depression, Paranoid Personality Disorder
Dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 459



Default Re: Nardil VS. Parnate

I'm not having the most horrible effects. bowel problems and weight gain. ok, that one really pisses me off cause i have the worst sweet tooth and USED to have the best metabolism. Anyways, i've changed my diet accordingly. I'm going to give 90 a shot and see what happens. If not..i might have to go on parnate. The weight gain is getting on my nerves. It's helping w/one symptom but not a majority.

for those that have switched to parnate, did you find the side effects, sedation , weight gain, bowel, insomnia etc..better?
fraidycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Connecticut
Age: 32
Posts: 124



Default Re: Nardil VS. Parnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraidycat
I'm not having the most horrible effects. bowel problems and weight gain. ok, that one really @#%$ me off cause i have the worst sweet tooth and USED to have the best metabolism. Anyways, i've changed my diet accordingly. I'm going to give 90 a shot and see what happens. If not..i might have to go on parnate. The weight gain is getting on my nerves. It's helping w/one symptom but not a majority.
The metabolism slow down is really annoying. I exercise now more than I ever have in my life and I am just holding steady or slowly losing the 8 pounds I put on so far. I don't have the sweet tooth everyone talks about. My diet is impeccable.

My bowel problems are starting to go away after 2 months and so is my insomnia. I read that the side effects do eventually go away sometimes.

Just wondering is all the weight you gained in your gut?
__________________
RX:Nardil:60mg,Klonopin:as needed.,Seroquel:25mg(for Nardil Insomnia)
Diagnosis:Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Depression, Paranoid Personality Disorder
Dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 146



Default Re: Nardil VS. Parnate

I've taken both and had good results with both. Parnate has an additional stimulant effect, which you would think would go badly with anxiety. However it seems the opposite is true in most cases. With parnate I felt a much quicker improvement than Nardil which took about 5 weeks and 75mg. I would agree that if it's not working ar 75 for the duration tou've been taking it 90 may not help. Parnate I felt a positive effect in a couple of days, probably from the stimulant effect. Parnate also has less side effects and no weight gain issues.
Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 459



Default Re: Nardil VS. Parnate

Weston, how long did you wait before switching nardil to parnate? how were the symptoms as your switched over? and although it seems to make you motivated (which i don't quite feel w/the nardil) were you able to become less anxious, did your physical symptoms or negative feelings go away? Right now, the nardil seems to have more side effects then positive ones. BUT it has help with an extreme effect of mines (breathing). I used to have breathing problems and now it's pretty subdued, but then i have sedation (which does go away) and the horrible weight gain and i think sometimes lower cognition. Does anyone feel this way, i forget what im about to say/do sometimes.

yea,Dagon, unfortunately a lot of the weight goes to my stomach too. What's your exercise and diet regimen if you don't mine sharing. I've never worked out a day in my life..lol..now im experimenting with different combos. I have nothing but fiber (oatmeal, raisin bran, fruits, rice cake in my house). Only thing is i can't stop eating. It's like someone has to wire my mouth. I recently came across this article about appetite suppression http://www.aolhealth.com/diet/basics/ap ... ppressants

anymore experiences with nardil parnate switch overs?
fraidycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 146



Default Re: Nardil VS. Parnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraidycat
Weston, how long did you wait before switching nardil to parnate? how were the symptoms as your switched over? and although it seems to make you motivated (which i don't quite feel w/the nardil) were you able to become less anxious, did your physical symptoms or negative feelings go away? Right now, the nardil seems to have more side effects then positive ones. BUT it has help with an extreme effect of mines (breathing). I used to have breathing problems and now it's pretty subdued, but then i have sedation (which does go away) and the horrible weight gain and i think sometimes lower cognition. Does anyone feel this way, i forget what im about to say/do sometimes.

yea,Dagon, unfortunately a lot of the weight goes to my stomach too. What's your exercise and diet regimen if you don't mine sharing. I've never worked out a day in my life..lol..now im experimenting with different combos. I have nothing but fiber (oatmeal, raisin bran, fruits, rice cake in my house). Only thing is i can't stop eating. It's like someone has to wire my mouth. I recently came across this article about appetite suppression http://www.aolhealth.com/diet/basics/ap ... ppressants

anymore experiences with nardil parnate switch overs?
I found Nardil had alot of side effects. Taking 5 for an extended period without it working is probably maddening. Side effects gradually and partially subsided after a few months. If it actually started working for you ,you could reduce the dosage and that would help alot with the side effects. It took a few weeks to work, but when it did it was like a switch turning on. . You can't miss it. It's nothing like where your wondering if it's placebo effect or something.
Like I said Parnate has a stimulating property which sounds scary if you have anxiety, but I found it had a strong benefit in reducing anxiety. I think you have to wait at least a couple of weeks to switch, but hopefully your doctor would know. Nardil was pulled off the market for a while and became unavailable a few years ago. It's hard to remember the exact time line for the switch. I've actually lost weight on Parnate and I would would say it's no worse than neutral as far as effect on weight.
Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 652



Default Re: Nardil VS. Parnate

Quote:
It took a few weeks to work, but when it did it was like a switch turning on. . You can't miss it. It's nothing like where your wondering if it's placebo effect or something.
I've heard many people on nardil also say this. Some say they literally woke up one day and felt a wave of happiness sweep over them.

I find it interesting that it kicks in so suddenly rather than gradually like most other antidepressants. Any ideas why?
shy-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3



Default

I recently switched from Parnate to Nardil. The change-over period was just one day of nothing before . I had been on 80mg Parnate and reduced to 60mg due to possible high blood pressure. Even after the reduction I found that my anxiety was unbearable. My pDoc immediately suggested switching to Nardil and also prescribed some clonazepam (I think it's Klonopin in the US).

I am very interested in finding out how long it takes for Nardil to kick in because at the moment my depression and anxiety are pretty bad.

My biggest question is whether I can actually expect Nardil to work at all. I mean if Parnate was only moderately successful why would the Nardil be much of an improvement.

It is now my third day on Nardil and as expected no benefits yet. I was surprised to read that, although Parnate seems to work within as little as a week (or even less) Nardil can take a month or more to kick in.

It really sucks being back at square one. The parnate may not have been the magic bullet but I did see some progress. I hadn't needed a day off work for like 6 weeks or more.

This is an old thread so I expect you already have your answer but if anyone else comes across this I too would like to know if anyone switched from one MAOI to another with great success. Of particular concern is that most seem to agree that Parnate is the best so I'm more than a little worried about not having responded all that well on it.
bob25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
leon21's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: EU
Gender: Male
Posts: 106



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob25 View Post
I recently switched from Parnate to Nardil. The change-over period was just one day of nothing before . I had been on 80mg Parnate and reduced to 60mg due to possible high blood pressure. Even after the reduction I found that my anxiety was unbearable. My pDoc immediately suggested switching to Nardil and also prescribed some clonazepam (I think it's Klonopin in the US).

I am very interested in finding out how long it takes for Nardil to kick in because at the moment my depression and anxiety are pretty bad.

My biggest question is whether I can actually expect Nardil to work at all. I mean if Parnate was only moderately successful why would the Nardil be much of an improvement.

It is now my third day on Nardil and as expected no benefits yet. I was surprised to read that, although Parnate seems to work within as little as a week (or even less) Nardil can take a month or more to kick in.

It really sucks being back at square one. The parnate may not have been the magic bullet but I did see some progress. I hadn't needed a day off work for like 6 weeks or more.

This is an old thread so I expect you already have your answer but if anyone else comes across this I too would like to know if anyone switched from one MAOI to another with great success. Of particular concern is that most seem to agree that Parnate is the best so I'm more than a little worried about not having responded all that well on it.

So you just continue with Nardil without waiting at least 14 days?
What did your p-doc say?
leon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42



Default

Parnate is good. Parnate is activating whereas I hear Nardil is more sedating. I think I might try Nardil as I need the sedation.
ihateanxiety1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nardil or Parnate ? Payn Medication 3 02-26-2010 01:14 PM
Nardil or Parnate? justin984 Medication 3 02-19-2009 10:19 PM
Nardil vs Parnate gs8778 Medication 6 03-15-2008 06:22 PM
Anyone tried Parnate or Nardil? KooKoo Medication 5 11-15-2006 09:15 AM
Nardil / Parnate? which one? sleepysmurf Medication 5 11-04-2006 09:43 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.