Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Nardil questions

219K views 751 replies 170 participants last post by  joost78 
#1 ·
I've been on nardil for about 13 months. I am totally symptom free of SA!!!

I come back to these forums to help push people to try nardil. Unfortunately it has a bad reputation for harsh side effects (I experience none) and bad food drug interactions, which are very easy to avoid.

I have probably been PMed by around 10 people concerning nardil, I only come on this forum to give advice and help out now.

Please feel free to contact me when any questions of Nardil- dosing, side effects, anything!! I know how bad dealing with SA sucks and controls your life, so I want to pass on any knowledge that could help those who currently take nardil or are considering it!!!

NOTE: WHEN STARTING NARDIL START AT 15MG AND INCREASE DOSAGE BY 15MG EACH WEEK UNTIL YOU REACH 60MG!!! A HUGE MISTAKE PEOPLE MAKE IS STARTING AT A HIGHER DOSE. YOUR DOCTOR MIGHT WANT YOU TO START HIGHER BUT PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND SLOWLY WORK UP YOUR DOSAGE!!! YOU MUST GIVE YOUR BODY TIME TO ADJUST!!! THIS IS KEY!!!!

Once again, contact with me to ask any questions, I would love to help!!!

You won't be bothering me at all. I get on this forums a couple times a week so I might not answer your message right away but I will get to it!!

Good luck to all!!!

-mr t

Updated info by request***

wikipedia has a pretty good summary on nardil, mechanism of action etc..

Nardil has interaction with B6 which can lower B6 levels. B6 is critical in neurotransmitter synthesis and feeling good over all.

**I recommend supplementing a good multivitamin daily, possibly B complex but the multivitamin should provide adequate B vitamins
. Also supplementing ~2000-3000 IU of Vitamin D is great for mood. Even if you are getting plenty of sunlight, according to studies there is a trend in lower Vitamin D levels and depression. Vitamin D is also crucial for NT synthesis. I supplement vitamin D, get plenty of sunlight, and still actually had a deficiency when I got a blood test!!

As for daytime fatigue: supplementing these vitamins can definitely help. Try drinking some coffee also, i found that has helped me alot. Hypotension-lowered blood pressure- is a common cause of fatigue while on nardil. You can get a cheap BP cuff at any local drug store to check your BP levels. For hypotension, drinking plenty of water daily can help increase your blood pressure, as well as increased salt in diet.

For persistent daytime fatigue: If you are on nardil for a while and fatigue is not getting better, talk to your doctor and consider trying provigil/nuvigil(modafinil/armodafinil). They are unique stimulants that destroy fatigue, do not have too bad of a crash, and importantly never greatly increased my anxiety. I prefer nuvigil over provigil, because it is the isolated R-isomer of provigil which is thought to provide most of the benefits of the drug. Nuvigil gave me less headaches, less anxiety, and less unwanted stimulatory affects such as high heart rate.

**It has been stated by my doctor by an efficacy report he made that there is a 60% percent chance patients will greatly respond to either Nardil or Parnate. Nardil seems the obvious choice first when treating SA. Basically MAOIs are a great option.

Many worry about the food interactions. The list of food interactions needs to be updated because it is way overhyped. I can eat most of what is actually on the list. Be careful though and if you are trying something that is prohibited but has been shown to be fine to eat, just eat a little bit and see how you feel.

**For me, my diet has not changed really at all. I mainly avoid very aged cheeses such as blue cheese. I can eat cheddar, provologne, mozzerella, jack etc.. Avoid AGED BEERS, ESPECIALLY TAP BEER. I drink plenty of beer, which i dont recommend doing anyway, but i make sure they arent too aged like some microbrews can be. Start slow at first anyway. Also avoiding aged meats like pepperoni and others. Pepperoni on chain pizzas and most others are fine. I eat pizza all the time, no problems.

Further questions of food interactions, PM me.

The drug interactions like cold medicines are much more severe and can be life threatening. These are obviously very easy to avoid.

See less See more
#700 ·
better than parnate?

I have been on Parnate for about six months. The first two were awful: zero sleep; tired, detatched, and apathetic during the day. It has been made bearable by dosing later in the day and finding heavy-duty sleep meds that work.

I don't constantly think about suicide now and obsess over the evil intentions of other. I can write and read and cognitively function. The apathy and detachment are pretty constant, however, and I haven't been able to augment my way around it. My SA is diminished but I have zero interest in people, friends, and responsibilities. I failed my first class in 4 years and have destroyed my hopes for grad school but I don't care. This is doesn't feel like me or how life should be.

Sooo I'm wondering if anyone on Nardil has had this experience. I'm running low on options but given all the work getting on and ramping up the MAOI, this seems like a possibility provided it's not more of the same or worse with the sleep, daytime sedation, and detachment.

#3 ·
I wonder, Is it possible that for some people Nardil just does not work ? and I also guess, that there are several people who have on Nardil probably more side effects than others and also maybe some of their side effects are more irritating...because of that, they decide to stop taking Nardil.

#7 ·
I wonder, Is it possible that for some people Nardil just does not work ? and I also guess, that there are several people who have on Nardil probably more side effects than others and also maybe some of their side effects are more irritating...because of that, they decide to stop taking Nardil.
The psych i go see now in New Orleans is brilliant. Hes got an MD and PhD in Neuropharmacology and is department head in both that LSU medical school in New Orleans.

When I first started Nardil he said theres a 60% chance that a person will significantly respond to either Nardil or Parnate. Nardil is often used first over parnate because of its effect on increasing GABA.

No, I have no weight gain problems. I was on 60mg for a while and then backed down to 45mg for a maintenance dose. If you do have weight problems with nardil or other drugs, often metformin is precribed to counteract that. Its the most common drug prescribed for diabetes, but is also used to combat drug induced weight gain. It increases the sensivity of insulin to its receptors so less is released and less carbohydrates that you eat are stored.

Metformin has been around for a very long time. Its pretty harmless. Ive taken it before when I was on another med years ago. You take it with meals. The only problem I ever had was slight nausea if I took it before meal rather than after I had eaten.

#9 ·
I was on nardil one time and that was the one and only med that I started without reading about side effects because I became manic, not knowing what manic symptoms even were until I read up on them. And my diagnosis is unipolar.
I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. I'm always glad to hear when meds work for people. Unfortunately, after trying quite a few, I have yet to find one that works. Onward.

#10 ·
mr T, That's awesome that it works for you. It always gives me hope when someone breaks out of SA, no matter what method they took to get there. And believe me, if no one else take you up on your offer for questions, I'll keep you busy all by myself.

I've been on it for nine weeks and I keep getting into this weird pattern where it starts to work for like 5 days and then it bottoms out, then like 3 days of crap, then it comes back. I hope it eventually works on a regular basis for me. Anyway, here are my questions -- oh and I've worked up to 60 mg over 9 weeks --

1) My Greatest fear is that it works just long enough for me to settle into a new life and then it abandons me. Do you know anything about the phenomenon of nardil working then quitting? Any studies or hard numbers? Any ways to prevent this (other than dumb, genetic luck)?

2) Do myoclonic jerks resulting from raising the dose too fast eventually subside?

3) (last one for now) Did nardil for you ever make things slightly worse before better? It seems to do this for me. In the few days before it starts to work it actually has the opposite effect on me: nervousness, depression, lack of motivation, different kind of shakiness, etc.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

#19 ·
So far I've convinced a few people on these forums to start nardil and they have had great success.

I hope he doesnt mind mentioning his username, but one of them is Dr Hobo Scratch MD.

When I first was talking to him he had terrible SA and couldnt even leave his house. Last I've talked to him hes doing very well. Hes out and about like anyone else and is enjoying socializing with people now.

#24 ·
I started to see results probably around 5 weeks. I feel completely SA free. Before i could never raise my hand and ask questions in class, converse easily with ppl, had few friends etc.. Ive had tremendous improvements in all aspects

#25 ·
Maintence dose is lowering dosage after uve reached full benefits of the drug. Ive been on it for over a year and continue to have less SA or anxiety about daily life.

No u should stay on ur dose if its working for u. According to my doctor u can see improvements for a year or more.

Once u acheive full benefits and the proper MAO inhibition lowering the dose just keeps ur maoi levels steady and is better suited for long term use of the drug, possibly prevents poop out etc..

#22 ·
28 days into Nardil (@45 mg), works mildly for the depression, and moderately for anxiety. Again, it's still the best thing I currently have in my arsenal.

Still getting pretty extreme tiredness during the day. Lasts until about 8 pm. That's pretty much my only side effect. I've been on 45 mg every day and I take it all at once. Not looking to space out my doses, but would you mind telling me if you had fatigue? If so, when did it stop?

Also, how heavy are you in kg's? Curious as to whether I need the 1mg/1kg rumor. I am 84 kg.

#26 ·
28 days into Nardil (@45 mg), works mildly for the depression, and moderately for anxiety. Again, it's still the best thing I currently have in my arsenal.

Still getting pretty extreme tiredness during the day. Lasts until about 8 pm. That's pretty much my only side effect. I've been on 45 mg every day and I take it all at once. Not looking to space out my doses, but would you mind telling me if you had fatigue? If so, when did it stop?

Also, how heavy are you in kg's? Curious as to whether I need the 1mg/1kg rumor. I am 84 kg.
Possibly try coffee for fatigue? I couldnt drink coffee before nardil bc it worsened anxiety but now i drink two cups to get me going each morning.

I also found nardil more effective and stimulating if i take it on empty stomach when i wake up.

For fatigue, could possibly be caused by mild hypotension. I suggest drinking plenty of water throughout the day to keep blood pressure up, multivitamin/b complex helps with energy. Ive also used nuvigil as stimulant to help with ADD. It destroys fatigue, had no anxiety, and has potent dopamine release which helped with motivation and socializing. I might try that last if other ways dont help.

I dont believe in the mg/kg. im 85kg and only take 45mg/day

#23 ·
Its my 10th week on nardil. My doctor started me on 45 mg broken up into 3 doses, one at each meal. I went up to 60 about 4 weeks ago, but ran out early one weekend and had to wait about 4 days for a refill. During this time I felt like crap -- anxiety raised, strong shakes, GI upset. It sucked because it was just starting to work when this happened and when I restarted it stopped. In fact I've had a few days where I've felt terrible. But actually it seems to be following the same relative cycle as before: a few days of feeling depressed and anxious, a few days of feeling calm and numb, then a day or two where I feel a dull ache in my groin and have trouble with urinating and defecating, and finally I slide into a warm contentment and focus. When I arrive at this point I feel like I can calmly problem solve, look people in the eyes without effort, and I see challenges as opportunities. It's exactly where I want to be.

Today was a slow emotional climb ending at a chill happiness. I broke up 60 mg with 1.5 pills at breakfast, 1.5 mg at lunch, and 1 pill at dinner. Farts -- nasty,thick, nardil smelling farts -- were the main side effect. i saw people cringe all day and when I blamed it on the dog everyone said she must be really sick. Anyway, today was ok but not great -- I think it hasn't completely kicked in yet.

Thanks for your responses. It's weird, I hear so many people on SAS write that nardil quit on them within a few months, and then another group of people like you say that nardil should work indefinitely (if it starts in the 1st place). I' d like to believe your side. If it does work for me, I am determined to stick with it and push through sides.

Question: I'm feeling strong sexual sides: ED, low ejaculate, etc. But the scariest one is lack of sexual interest. I look at a perfect girl with a beautiful rack and I'm only interested on an intellectual level, meaning I just want to stare and think. Is this nardil? If so, will it fade?
I hope so; I'd like to at least want to have sex.

#28 ·
That almost always fades.

ive experiences that same ejac problem at 60mg and it sucks. I would continue to stay at 60mg for a while longer to get full benefits.

Theres kind of a trick to solving the sexual side effect problem that many get. Ive experienced this solution myself and have read about others doing the same thing:

The way i fixed it was dropping my dose down to 45mg until my sexual side effects went away. It was probably 1-2weeks at most. After sexual side effects faded i bumped back up to 60mg and guess what, NO sexual side effects!!

Its weird and i dont know why it works but ive seen several other accounts of the same thing happening for others.

I wouldnt do that right now tho. Bear the side effects for now and wait for nardil to fully kick in. Trust me ud rather have the SA gets its *** kicked and feel good first. Then try my suggestion and see how it goes!!

Good luck!!!

#31 ·
I was going to add nortryptiline before I found out that it has pretty significant ACh properties. I hate the idea of things messing with my memory. But I may have to try it.

Also, Mr.T I have tried coffee before (up to 4 cups) but it doesn't do anything. The fatigue is essentially all in my head, because I can do like 30 pushups straight if I wanted to, I just always feel sleepy and unable to focus/concentrate because of my sleepiness. I use B6 with Nardil as well.

#35 ·
Yea nuvigil/provigil will definitely help fatigue. I prefer nuvigil bc i didnt get headaches or nervousness on it.

Both of these drugs will definitely destroy the fatigue. I would try one of those before another stimulant like amphetamines or NRIs..

Nuvigil comes with a discount prescription card at this point where scripts are only $50/month at 150mg. I only needed 75mg so that lasted me two months.

#36 ·
What beers are best to drink on this med? I know some people can drink anything, but I mean what decent beers are low in amines?

Also, for sexual sides does anyone know anything about cabergoline? Some people on Dr. Bob's forum suggest it, though I think it may increase hypotension and may interact with nardil negatively. It could otherwise give you your orgasm back though.

#38 ·
I gave up alcohol when I started Parnate because I really want it to work.....BUT I did go out one night a few weeks ago and drank a **** load of alcohol from the tap and had no problems. I don't respect the diet at all and have never had a problem. One day it will probably bight me on the arse though

#39 ·
Yea i agree that it sucks to avoid tap beer. Going to bars and seeing all the great beers they have on tap and then paying MORE for a bottled beer is rough. Glad you didnt have any problems, its just a crazy risk to take over beer.

#41 ·
I would bump up to 60mg, see how u do on that for about 4 weeks. Even though youve been on 45mg for a while the goal is to reach 70-80% MAO inhibition.

As you might have experienced anxiety usually starts to improve first before mood/depression.

If youre having that much fatigue i would definitely try to get my hands on modafinil or armodanfinil like youre trying to. I found it helps with fatigue, mood, and socializing thru its significant dopamine release.

I hope u can get ur hands on that stuff asap. It really made a huge difference in mood boost for me!

#42 ·
Sounds good man. Just need my freaking referral to go through for a new psychiatrist. Almost has been a month and I haven't heard from anyone. Going to run out of Nardil soon.

Do you know if it's possible to buy modafinil or any stimulants off of the internet without prescription? So desperate. My memory is pissing me off majorly and so is the fatigue.

#43 ·
MAOI's have a negative impact on Norepinephrine in my experience so if this is factor in your depression then raising the dose won't help. That fatigue you mentioned was exactly the same type as I had and it never went away. The week I added nortip it started to go away and guess what ? Parnate started to show some signs of working. I don't think Nardil will work for you until you address that issue.

#47 ·
Yep. I still think it should work even better for anxiety and stuff and maybe even for depression but a NDRI would DEFINITELY help imo.

I just can't get anything like it. I have no doctor atm to prescribe me stuff, and it'll be probably 3-4 weeks before I get an appt.

MR T SEND ME NUVIGILLLLLLLLLLL. Anyone know of a sketch online pharmacy anychance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.