Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree48 Liked Posts

Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #221 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilem View Post
Regarding the dietary restrictions, my diet currently consists mostly of frozen food such as pizza, milk, bread and so on. Would such a diet pose a threat while on Nardil? I'm especially wondering about pizza and pepperoni in general (from major retailers) as there's loads of conflicting reports regarding whether it's safe to eat it or not.
I have gone on red wine benders while eating cheese platters, never ever had a problem with hypertension with nardil - even dexamophetamine produced hypotension - go figure.

I drink huge amounts of coffee, constantly chew nicotine gum (which somehow boosts the nardil)

Only time something happened was when I experimented with a small amount of meth - Dont do it - not smart.

What has helped me limit the side effects with Nardil.

(1) Avoid Dairy and pastry type dishs. Definetly make bloating worse as does diet drinks like pepsi max.
(2) Go to the Gym - Do a small amount of cardio as a warm up but focus your efforts on weight training, in particular - circuit weight training.
Circuit weight training keeps you heart rate up and gives the weight training a cardio componant and really helps to burn off fat.
Putting on muscle will not only use up some of the extra food you consume due to nardil increasing your appatite, putting on extra muscle will improve your posture, general appearence and the extra muscle increases your BMR so you burn more energy even while sitting around, something cardio doesnt do for you, in fact too much cardio will reduce your muscle mass and lower your BMR
(3) Eat enough - not enough food makes your BMR drop encouraging your body to burn less energy and store fat. It is the biggest mistake all dieters make
(4) Dont eat **** - I mean it, you just have to accept that if your eating processed calorie dense food like chocolate, soft drinks, breakfast cerials, potato chips and general junk - your going to put on weight. When I grocery shop I NEVER buy junk - EVER! If its in the house I know I will eat it. If I desperetly want something sweet I have to walk to the corner store, its enough to slow me down so I dont lapse too often.
But lots of fruit - it helps to get you through the periods between meals.
(5) Do some exercise every day - If you cant face the gym, just a walk will do.

I still have a belly and I am still 10kg over weight but it keeps it under control.

Because I have big muscles it improves my confidence and and takes the focus off my belly.
This applies just as much to girls. Girls dont get seriously muscley with weight training - they do get a lot stronger though. Dont be scared of looking butch, if you look in the mirror one day and dont like the size of your muscles, it only takes a couple of weeks to shrink down. But it wont happen, trust me
zendog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #222 (permalink)

Thank you all and especially mr. t. for this thread. After reading it and gathering some more info I think I'm going to try this med to fight my SA. I'll search through Pubmed first to see if I can find some research on the effects of long term use.
029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #223 (permalink)

Interesting thread and thanks to the op and other forum members, I am going to look into that med for my social anxiety as well. Having said that a maoi from way back when is hardly some holly grail, it's great it's worked for some people but had it been more effective I am sure it would have been first line and not third-fourth. All in all what I am interested in my next med regiment is how the pill will effect the long term functioning of my brain, that is what are the long term chemical and structural changes to the brain AFTER I have been using it for some time. Does it set my brain up for success, is it neutral, or does it set it up for failure (as with benzos). Is there any research for nadril on how people function after they stop using it, are their symptoms better off than before they started it? That's of vital importance to me, yet in almost all psychiatric meds there's hardly any research done on that from what I can gather.
Better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #224 (permalink)

How many of you Nardilites had urinary retention?

Really hoping I don't suffer that side-effect
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #225 (permalink)

Took a little longer to work up a flow, but it really wasn't that bad. Other side effects were way more annoying. Thankfully I am now side-effect free at 6 months in.
puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #226 (permalink)

Yeah i did at higher doses, however it was worse on tricyclics like imipramine.
Was not really much of a bother though, it simply means an extra few seconds waiting, it doesn't stop you from being able to pee.
viper1431 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy View Post
Took a little longer to work up a flow, but it really wasn't that bad. Other side effects were way more annoying. Thankfully I am now side-effect free at 6 months in.
Your urinary retention went away??? Interesting. I wonder if mine would've ever gone away. Longest I've ever been on Nardil was 10 weeks and it was still there.

I usually don't get urinary retention at 45 mg or below. 60 mg + always creates problems for me
gilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #228 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmourr View Post
Your urinary retention went away??? Interesting. I wonder if mine would've ever gone away. Longest I've ever been on Nardil was 10 weeks and it was still there.

I usually don't get urinary retention at 45 mg or below. 60 mg + always creates problems for me
My Nardil was barely even working at 10 weeks, but I still had some nasty side effects like near-constant shaking, twitching and constipation. I've felt pretty consistently great since I started CBT a little over a month ago, and I'm hoping I stay that way.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #229 (permalink)

Quote:
My Nardil was barely even working at 10 weeks, but I still had some nasty side effects like near-constant shaking, twitching and constipation. I've felt pretty consistently great since I started CBT a little over a month ago, and I'm hoping I stay that way.
Hello Puppy,

How would you compare Nardil to other antidepressants ? was it worth it ? .. why did you start CBT ? was Nardil not enough?
meedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #230 (permalink)

Nardil would never kick in for me by 10 weeks if only taking 45mg.. even 60 would be pushing it to work in 10 weeks.
And yeah you get the crappy side effects in that time but when it kicks in it's like a switch being flicked and your brain kicks into gear.. it's amazing how it does it.. then you can lower the dose to maintenence and the side effects ease away.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #231 (permalink)

Hello Meedo,

No antidepressant other than Nardil has ever helped my dysthimia and anxiety. Mirtazapine got me out of a major depressive episode and back to my regular dysthimic self. Straterra helped motivate me, but made my anxiety worse to the point of throwing up in certain social situations. SSRIs decreased avoidance but didn't help much with anxiety when in a social situation. I was also doing CBT during some of these, but didn't expect it to work and didn't really take my therapist seriously, so it didn't help much at all.

Nardil alone was better than any other antidepressant I had taken. It made it so I could make a phonecall without getting drunk first and correct fast food cashiers when they screwed up my order, for example, which is huge improvement for me. I could also talk and ask questions in class which I could never do before.

I started CBT because I still had some lingering dysthimia and anxiety, which would get better or worse in cycles. On Nardil I had a much better attitude going into CBT and the Nardil calmed me down enough to observe some of my negative thought patterns in a relaxed way. This is crucial because you need to let the non-logical part of your brain observe your thoughts so you instinctively see what is going on, like you instinctively know a ball will fall when you drop it without needing to think logically about it.

CBT+Nardil has pretty much completely cured me. I still have some anxiety in some situations, but then again, so does a completely normal person. I am extremely happy with the results and the 3 months of side-effects were absolutely worth it. Even with the side-effects I was leading a much fuller life and succeeding in school more than I would have been if I was more sad and anxious.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #232 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello Meedo,

No antidepressant other than Nardil has ever helped my dysthimia and anxiety. Mirtazapine got me out of a major depressive episode and back to my regular dysthimic self. Straterra helped motivate me, but made my anxiety worse to the point of throwing up in certain social situations. SSRIs decreased avoidance but didn't help much with anxiety when in a social situation. I was also doing CBT during some of these, but didn't expect it to work and didn't really take my therapist seriously, so it didn't help much at all.

Nardil alone was better than any other antidepressant I had taken. It made it so I could make a phonecall without getting drunk first and correct fast food cashiers when they screwed up my order, for example, which is huge improvement for me. I could also talk and ask questions in class which I could never do before.

I started CBT because I still had some lingering dysthimia and anxiety, which would get better or worse in cycles. On Nardil I had a much better attitude going into CBT and the Nardil calmed me down enough to observe some of my negative thought patterns in a relaxed way. This is crucial because you need to let the non-logical part of your brain observe your thoughts so you instinctively see what is going on, like you instinctively know a ball will fall when you drop it without needing to think logically about it.

CBT+Nardil has pretty much completely cured me. I still have some anxiety in some situations, but then again, so does a completely normal person. I am extremely happy with the results and the 3 months of side-effects were absolutely worth it. Even with the side-effects I was leading a much fuller life and succeeding in school more than I would have been if I was more sad and anxious.

Hope that helps!

I swear, I was exactly like this on my 2nd trial of Nardil, I was on it from July - September and it worked wonderfully but there was a tiny bit of anxiety left and still a sizeable amount of depression.

I really wish I never upped it to 60 mg because it all went to ****. But I'll be back on Nardil if my new combo doesn't work after 3 months. I think my body just needs a break from Nardil, not because it wears out, but because I stopped it and then almost immediately restarted it.

I kind of think of it as like a coffee machine. Once the coffee is done it's good, but then you unplug it for 5-10 minutes and the coffee starts to cool down, but the pot remains pretty hot. When you plug it back in to make the coffee warm again the coffee machine doesn't recognize the coffee is cold because the pot is still hot. Because of this, it doesn't heat the coffee.
Way to solve the problem? Wait until the coffee pot is cooled down and then restart it. Or just drink ****ty quality coffee.
gilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #233 (permalink)
EJB

Anyone know of any safe antihistamines that can be used with Nardil?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #234 (permalink)

Benadryl and Unisom are both ok, just make sure you buy a preparation without any decongestants.
EJB likes this.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #235 (permalink)

ive been on 45mg for about 3 years now-not sure there doing much for my sa. i take em with clonazepam-that usually is the med that i benefit from rather than nardil.
a few people i know stop taking nardil for 2 weeks then go back on it and they say it kicks in again..also im taking my dose all at once in morning-my shrink said the half life is like 1.5hours so very small and said i should try n spread doseage out-bit hard to do as they have to be in fridge.

im in uk and had to try every drug before he gave me this-so if at first you dont succeed ..argue your corner!! worked great for a few months then not much ..pete
pete69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #236 (permalink)

Nardil has a short half-life, but the mechanism of action is MAO inhibition which lasts well after the phenelzine itself is out of your system. Personally, I have found Nardil to most effective when taken all in one dose, though it may just be a coincidence that I started dosing that way right as the drug started to be effective.

You might consider going up to 60 mg if you feel that 45 mg is not very effective.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #237 (permalink)

I'm taking my first dose tomorrow. I'm more worried about some of the side effects than I am about food interactions. I'm hoping for no weight gain or impaired memory function (my long term memory is already not so great).

So I'm curious about Nootropics and Nardil. I'm pretty sure its a safe combination but I'm wondering if anybody had experiences or input to add on the matter.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #238 (permalink)

memory should be ok, there's no anticholoergic activity with nardil which is the main memory killer.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #239 (permalink)

I don't think you would have any problems mixing Nardil with Piracetam. It is good for your sig too!
ILOVEXANAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #240 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEXANAX View Post
I don't think you would have any problems mixing Nardil with Piracetam. It is good for your sig too!
haha I know right xD

So..3 weeks on Nardil thus far. No side effects except its a wee bit harder to finish le "deed" but practically unnoticeable. SSRIs made me apathetic zombie by this point and made it near impossible to finish what you started. I'm liking this drug so far. 2nd dose at 60mg.