Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

My nardil log

6K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  AtlantaPhobic 
#1 ·
I've been on nardil 45mg for 4 weeks now. First week nothing. Second week, hypomania. Very pro social. Some weirdness. Third week, nothing, I just feel normal. Fourth week. More of the same. I feel good, my SAD is not as bad. But I don't feel any more social. Should I up to 60mg, or give it more time?
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Go up to 60mg.

I felt an improvement when I went up to 60mg, and a big improvement going to up to 75mg. 60mg may be the right dose for you, but 15mg can make a big difference with Nardil.

You can always go back down to 45mg for a couple days if you get any side effects you dont like. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers Dave.

#3 ·
Go up to 60mg.

I felt an improvement when I went up to 60mg, and a big improvement going to up to 75mg. 60mg may be the right dose for you, but 15mg can make a big difference with Nardil.

You can always go back down to 45mg for a couple days if you get any side effects you dont like. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers Dave.
I'm giving 75mg a try for 2-3 weeks after being on 60mg for about 14-15 weeks now. I'm doing it more just out of curiosity to see if i will gain a better response.

If there are improvements after upping the dosage by 15mg. How long should one wait ? I've read somewhere that 2 weeks is long enough before improvements are seen, Thats only if Nardil has kicked in already. I was thinking of maybe giving it the 2 weeks or maybe a little more before going back to 60mg if nothing is gained from it.

What do you think ?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Assume Nardil is working for you BTS, think you have posted some updates but not sure if I viewed.

Anyway, I cant quit remember how long it took to take effect for me as it was a while back, I can only remember the improvement, however I do know that it didn't take long so lets assume a couple of weeks, definitely not too much longer that anyway.

Do give it a try though, and maybe stick with it for a month if no improvement after 2 weeks. Like I said, 60mg for me was working well, but a huge improvement going up to 75mg. Assume you are covered prescription wise to increase? If not, do what I did, phone up the doctor or pcychiatrist and say you have increased to 75mg and its working really well and hopefullu they will let you continue.

Cheers, Dave

#7 ·
Assume Nardil is working for you BTS, think you have posted some updates but not sure if I viewed.

Anyway, I cant quit remember how long it took to take effect for me as it was a while back, I can only remember the improvement, however I do know that it didn't take long so lets assume a couple of weeks, definitely not too much longer that anyway.

Do give it a try though, and maybe stick with it for a month if no improvement after 2 weeks. Like I said, 60mg for me was working well, but a huge improvement going up to 75mg. Assume you are covered prescription wise to increase? If not, do what I did, phone up the doctor or pcychiatrist and say you have increased to 75mg and its working really well and hopefullu they will let you continue.

Cheers, Dave
Thats good to hear. I'm just a little over 1 week after upping to 75mg (with permission from my pcych of course). Upping the dosage has brought back some side effects, but to such a small degree that they are disappearing just as fast that they arrived luckily. I'll definitely be interested to see the improvements you mentioned, thats if I get them lol. I'm sure the 60mg had already kicked in as i got the initial euphoria feeling when it does. Been very productive with my time for a few weeks after that. Though that has been getting less and less as the weeks passed. Seems to be related to the lessening of the blocking effect of REM and side effects in general.

Still, it should be interesting if 75mg is more ideal for me. As meds go, I am pretty resistant to them, side effects and all :p

Also what does BTS stand for ? Couldn't find the meaning haha

#8 ·
I'm considering asking my doctor for a prescription for Nardil. I have an appointment coming up and I might email him before the appointment so he knows what I'll be asking. Any advice on how to convince him? He's never prescribed Nardil and knew nothing about it the last time I brought it up, was very reluctant to even talk about it.

So for those who are on Nardil, do you have to see your doctor every couple weeks when first starting? How often do you have to see your doctor? I'd rather it be once every 6 months or so.

Do you start out at 15mg the first week (1 pill in the morning), then 30mg the 2nd week (1 in the morning, 1 at noon?), 45mg the 3rd week (2 in the morning, 1 at noon), then up to 60mg the next week (2 in the morning, 2 at noon) until you feel you can go up to 75? How will I know the most effective dose?

I'm currently on Atenolol twice a day. Can I take Nardil and Atenolol at the same time?

Finally, last question: How much does Nardil cost in the U.S.? My insurance barely pays for any of the prescription expenses, so I'm hoping this doesn't break the bank for me.

#9 ·
Assume you are not joking me BTS or Blue Table Space ?? :) Can I call you H ? I seem to be reasonably resistance to meds but worked for me.

Wilmour, get us much info you can and read it and remember the important bits. Make sure you are fully aware of the food interaction ie what type of foods and why to avoid them eg tyramine. Know which drugs interact either thru hypertension or serotonin syndrome. I`m sure there are some informative posts on here that go into a bit more detail about what to mention to your doc.

Maybe take a look at Ken Gilman's site and print some of that and take with you. Have a look around on pubmed as well as there are plenty of studies that debunk the myth of Nardil being dangerous, and many come to the conclusion that maoi's are unfairly underused.

Your dosage schedule is pretty spot on but I wouldn't mention to the doc anything about going higher than 45mg just yet. You can come back to that once you get it.

Play up the fact that anxiety / depression is hurting you really bad, you wont to get on in life, enjoy it etc etc. If the doc is hesitant or resistant, ask him/her for just 15mg for a month to see how you do. This is up to you, but start taking 30mg the 3rd week and at the next appointment mention how your mood has improved and can I stay on it etc and then work with the doc to get up to 45 and higher.

I say my Psychiatrist once every few weeks for a months or so, then every two months but I had to get my blood pressure checked by my GP every month for 4 or 5 months. After a while, he didnt bother taking it.

Beta Blockers are generally fine but be careful of low blood pressure and dizziness. My 150 tablets of Nardil a month costs 150 quid here in the UK (200 bucks I guess) but on our NHS, we only be £8.50 for it.

Hope it goes well.

#10 ·
Assume you are not joking me BTS or Blue Table Space ?? :) Can I call you H ? I seem to be reasonably resistance to meds but worked for me.
I'm an idiot haha. Thought it might have meant Behind the scenes or something lol

Good to know about your resistance to meds. Makes the next coming weeks more to look forward to :)

#12 ·
I am going back to my pdoc tomorrow and see about going up to 60mg. It's frustrating waiting so long for results but I don't want to go too fast. It's been a month now and I feel pretty good. Sometimes my anxiety completely remits, but then that feeling goes away. It's weird. I'm also taking propanolol and I'm not sure it does anything.

#13 ·
@ Willmorr, pay money to see a psychiatrist. If the docs in the US are like the GP's here in the UK, then you won't get it. It's not guaranteed of course, but I got my Nardil the first time of asking with the psychiatrist. All I got from the GP's were condescending little smiles.

@ Pheniboner, watch out for the propranolol, can cause depression, and ironically enough, anixety. Try dropping it for a while and see how it goes. The one thing I found with Nardil, although improved mood is consistent, is you really start to notice how other things from lack of sleep to medication and supplements can affect you.

Cheers Dave.

#17 ·
From what I have read, most people seem to be 60mg or above and there is evidence that the full effect of Nardil will not kick in until you reach 60mg.

It all depends on how you feel, I got up 60mg pretty quickly without giving the doses below much time to work and I based this on the evidence I mentioned above. I stayed on 60mg for a month or so and noticed my mood, although good, was fluctuating from time to time, so I went up 75mg and got full relief consistently. I`m still on 75 today and all is good. I have experimented going up to 90mg and didn't feel much different but as I`m only prescribed 75, any increase for me is not sustainable.

Cheers Dave.

#20 ·
SFC do you have any physical side effects beside libido problems ?
People often mention weight gain, is the cause an increase in appetite? a slowed metabolism? insulin problems? water retention ? it isn't clear
Is it true that it decrease physical capacities ? does sport become difficult while on it ?

#23 ·
Hi pheniboner, when I started nardil, I was already on Lyrica so had really bad libido issues from that. Since dropping Lyrica, every thing went back to normal in that department, no issues whatsoever. The same for weight gain, I had that from Lyrica before nardil and that stopped as soon as I quit Lyrica. I`ve lost 4 stone since Jan and for the most part of this year, along with 75mg nardil, I`ve been on quetiapine and amitriptyline as well. Just cleaned up my diet, worked on my exercise routine and the weight came off as expected.

Just wait it out for a while, and the side effects will go in time.

#25 ·
Hi, sorry what I mean is that I dont know if Nardil ever caused me issue with libido at the start because I was taking Lyrica so therefore already had them. When I stopped Lyrica, my libido came back. So maybe with Nardil, libido issues are something that happen at the start but soon go once you get used to the dose.

#27 ·
I'm currently on my second month of nardil. First month was 45mg second month 60mg. I was splitting the dose, 3 at morning and 1 at night. Started taking them all at once since I sometimes forget the third. I feel significantly better. Sometimes I am not shy AT ALL. Today I joined a boxing class, chatted with the extremely hot instructor, chatted with an old guy who was my partner. This was a great feeling. Bi wake up early every day, actually excited to start the day. I hope this continues.

Anorgasmia and low libido are still a problem. I can get hard now and I do get horny but can't cum even if I had a threesome with supermodels. Ordered some cabergolin to try and get around this. Hope it just wears off.

#28 ·
Brilliant new pheniboner !! Its great to be able to properly engage in conversation eh. I wake up early as well on Nardil, I just want to get up and get on with day, sometimes I think that I need to get a bit more sleep but the excitement of getting up and doing things just stops from laying there.

#29 ·
True, I have been waking up at 5 nowadays, just wanting to get stuff done, and I don't seem to be tired anymore. I do notice some kind of short term memory loss. I wonder if that's a side effect of Nardil or lack of sleep. For instance twice this week I completely forgot which gym locker I put my clothes in. And twice I was walking my dog and forgot if she had peed already or not. That is somewhat worrisome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.