X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree3 Liked Posts
  • 2 Post By istayhome
  • 1 Post By jim_morrison

Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mr Bacon goes on lamictal!

As the title says!

Time to see if anticonvulsants are right for me since I experience, although very rarely, bipolar symptoms. I'm not exactly the textbook case of bipolar II, perhaps the term cyclothymia would be even more suiting, but I do have hypomania rarely, and am often mood swinging, although my mood is standardly low. I also seem to react very strongly to all antidepressants in the first couple days and when stopping them.

My doctor doesn't know the dosage schedule too well, but I searched it on the web. Basically, 25mg for week 1 & 2, 50mg for week 3 & 4, 100mg week 5, then +50mg per week from there. Can any of you numerous lamictal users confirm?

Btw, the pills taste so good! I split 50mg pills in 2 for starters.

The info on the notice isn't exactly conforting, with the rash. Even if you don't get the Steven Johnson one, you might very well end up with some form of rash especially on the face area, apparently...

We'll see in due time.

I have a couple questions:

1. Is my schedule for dosing correct?
2. Is there a problem with splitting 50mg doses in half?
3. When should I get alarmed about the rash? If I do developp some, should I immediately stop?

Thanks in advance guys!

It seems there's a trend of bipolar diagnosis around here lately .
Mr Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

There's a good graph detailing how to titrate Lamictal here:

http://test.askdrjones.com/index.php...take-lamictal/

All the best
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't forget your 10 strips of bacon twice daily
Ben12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's sizzling news!
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

So baconator, I'm going to be following this one because I'm thinking of dropping Zoloft and adding lamictal to my abilify. Ultimately I'd like to drop the abilify because of the price but I'm scared to hehe.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bacon View Post
As the title says!

Time to see if anticonvulsants are right for me since I experience, although very rarely, bipolar symptoms. I'm not exactly the textbook case of bipolar II, perhaps the term cyclothymia would be even more suiting, but I do have hypomania rarely, and am often mood swinging, although my mood is standardly low. I also seem to react very strongly to all antidepressants in the first couple days and when stopping them.

My doctor doesn't know the dosage schedule too well, but I searched it on the web. Basically, 25mg for week 1 & 2, 50mg for week 3 & 4, 100mg week 5, then +50mg per week from there. Can any of you numerous lamictal users confirm?

Btw, the pills taste so good! I split 50mg pills in 2 for starters.

The info on the notice isn't exactly conforting, with the rash. Even if you don't get the Steven Johnson one, you might very well end up with some form of rash especially on the face area, apparently...

We'll see in due time.

I have a couple questions:

1. Is my schedule for dosing correct?
2. Is there a problem with splitting 50mg doses in half?
3. When should I get alarmed about the rash? If I do developp some, should I immediately stop?

Thanks in advance guys!

It seems there's a trend of bipolar diagnosis around here lately .

Don't worry about F-ing "rash" it is so unlikely that all the hype about it is just bizarre. If you raise the dose too quickly, yes all kinds of benign skin rashes are possible but cases of SJS are like 1 in 10,000 or something. Not worth thinking about in my opinion.

Your dosing schedule sounds fine and it is fine, if not preffered to split doses in half.

When I started it, I tok 25 mg week 1&2, then 50 mg for two weeks, then 100 mg for a month, 150 mg for a month and finally I have been 200 mg ever since.

My understanding is that once you get up to your 100mg per day, it's safer to not raise the dose as fast as 50 mg/week. Rather 50 mg every 2 weeks. So get to 100 mgs, stay there for two weeks, go to 150 mgs. Personally I would advise staying there for a month as you might not need to raise the dose anymore, many people with cyclothymia find 150 mg/day to be sufficient. If after a month you want to see if a higher dose is better then go ahead raise it to 200 mg and so on.

The point being that many people 150 g to be a sufficient dose and don't need to go any higher than that. I stayed at 150 mg for about 6 weeks to see if it stopped all cycling, I decided to raise it another 50 mg to 200 mg/day (which I split into a morning and afternoon dose) and I have found this dose to be perfect for me. Best of luck to you Bacon.
jim_morrison and Mr Bacon like this.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Istayhome, I'll note the dosage recommendation you talked about. On the notice it actually says 1 in 1000 gets SJS. Still rare, but I'm on the lookout. So far, so good, my skin is clean.

Kehcorpz, right now I'm on day 6 at 25mg and there's not much to notice, except benzo-like drowsiness for a couple hours after taking the dose. I'll be patient with this one, but I'm still trialing agomelatine for the second time in the meanwhile.

I'm not the kind of person to post every single day because I have mood swings, so I'll post after a while to be able to look at the big picture. And lamictal is one very slow medication to titrate up.
Mr Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehcorpz View Post
So baconator, I'm going to be following this one because I'm thinking of dropping Zoloft and adding lamictal to my abilify. Ultimately I'd like to drop the abilify because of the price but I'm scared to hehe.
Why are you stopping zoloft?

Most of the ap's are waaay too expensive. I think abilify takes the cake. If I ever actually had to pay for the saphris that I take, I would stop taking it.

Ithought about trying abilify again, but considering the cost is $664/month at the local pharmacy, Im never touching it again.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
Why are you stopping zoloft?

Most of the ap's are waaay too expensive. I think ability takes the cake. If I ever actually had to pay for the saphris that I take, I would stop taking it.

Ithought about trying abilify again, but considering the cost is $664/month at the local pharmacy, Im never touching it again.
I used Zoloft too much over my time of healing. I want to try something drastically different this time.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Does it not work anymore? I'm actually getting back on Sertraline after trying Cymbalta, Prozac, and Viibryd, and after taking a 6-7 week break from SSRI.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well sure it helps with anxiety but I can't tell the difference between say 50mg and 200mg anymore, 250mg I start noticing but doctor will never prescribe that. Either way wellbutrin worked better with the abilify so I wan't to go the norepinephrine route.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bacon View Post
Thanks Istayhome, I'll note the dosage recommendation you talked about. On the notice it actually says 1 in 1000 gets SJS. Still rare, but I'm on the lookout. So far, so good, my skin is clean.
Depends on the source, official prescribing info says 1/1000, but a real life study seems to suggest it's closer to 3 cases per 10,000. That said, from what I can tell it's prescribed to almost 9 million americans per year and yet only about 150 lamictal related SJS cases are reported per year in the US which suggests in the real world it may be even more rare. Bottom line I think you're safe.

http://www.psycheducation.org/depres...ds/LamRash.htm
istayhome likes this.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote