Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree3 Liked Posts

Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mixing Alcohol & Xanax?

Does anyone know how bad the effects are of mixing these two? I'm taking a very small dose of Xanax before social events where I plan on drinking. Will this be really bad? I've heard mixed responses...
QuakerOats167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

i asked my physch. about this. He said to wait atleast 2-3 hours after I had a drink to take the Xanax. However, this is assuming just 1-2 drinks. If you plan on having more, you probally would need more time, or just not take it that night.
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah, one bad effect is taking a two day nap. done it before. dont do it.
JoshC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

A two day nap lol. You make it sound like a good thing. Sleeping the pain away. Sleep and fantasy is better than reality for me. Why face problems if you can escape them
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

they both make each other more powerful so experiment at home first
arth67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

haha prakas you funnyyyyy

im just saying its not a good idea to mix anything that slows your heart rate with alcohol. doing a little bit of it is fun and will really chill you out, but if you overdo it you could slip into a coma! :O
JoshC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies... ok I'm taking a .25 mg which is a pretty small dose, so if I take one of those, eat dinner, then go out for the night and have like 2-3 drinks do you think that would do much?
QuakerOats167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

you will be fine if you only tajke asmall dose like .25 xanax..that is barely enough for most people to even feel it so u should be fine....dontgo overboard with teh drinks and you will be good...
belfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Be careful, this combo is dangerous if not treated with caution. Don't drink and then take Xanax, it's hard to judge the effects that way. Take the Xanax first, wait until it's fully kicked in (can be longer than normal if not on empty stomach), then drink slowly (preferably beer, definitely not spirits). Be aware that the combo can greatly reduce your judgement in all areas, but this shouldn't be much of a problem in the dosage you're using. I still cringe thinking about drunk-benzo-dialling.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerOats167 View Post
I'm taking a .25 mg which is a pretty small dose...
To be exact, 0.25 mg is the SMALLEST dose possible without cutting pills as Xanax comes on four sizes: 0.25, 0.50, 1 & 2 mg tablets.

Quote:
...so if I take one of those, eat dinner, then go out for the night and have like 2-3 drinks do you think that would do much?
YMMV, but I very much doubt that would present any problem.

I probably have as much personal experience as anyone around here when it comes to mixing Xanax and alcohol.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

It really depends on how much of each you take, obviously. You can black out or you can have a great time and not be anxious, which is the goal.
technoviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

I often take Xanax before drinking. I've done this numerous times, and never experienced any problems.

I actually love the combo, it's awesome.
La_Resistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

I get a headache when I combine Ativan and alcohol. Mixing alcohol and benzos is really not a good idea, and will lead to a greater dependence and a bigger risk of addiction. Tread lightly!
db0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Don't mix it

This past weekend my 18 year old son was offered xanax because he was very depressed after the loss of his grandfather. He took xanax and drank beer. He ended up in the intensive care unit in the hospital on a ventilator. He almost died. DON'T MIX IT !!! You can die from it. The ICU doctor told us that my son was extremely lucky to be alive.
missyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

I dunno, ask Whitney Houston.

Doh someone resurrected a thread from 2009. =\
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

bloody retarded. This is a topic that always comes up and always makes people hysterical. Alcohol bye itself can be very dangerous, fatal in overdoses. Xanax at extreme overdoses will put you to sleep. Combining small amounts of both won't hurt you, people do it all the time. Tolerance is very relevant as far as dose is concerned.

If someone is used to x amount of xanax and x amount of alcohol and neither comes close to causing a black-out or any other serious condition, they can safely cambine the two. Benzodiazapines and alcohol have an additive effect. Meaning that cns depression of both when taken together will cause as much cns depression as the benzo causes combined with the amount of cns depression that alcohol causes.

Xanax+alcohol=safe in moderation when taken responsibly
stupidity+alcohol=dangerous and possibly fatal
UltraShy likes this.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehcorpz View Post
I dunno, ask Whitney Houston.
The coroner is quite clear that Xanax had nothing to do with it:

Quote:
The Los Angeles County coroner's office has determined that Whitney Houston's official cause of death is: "drowning and effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use."

More: The Life of Whitney Houston

The singer was found in the bathtub of her Beverly Hilton Hotel room on Feb. 11, hours before a pre-Grammy party. She was 48.

The coroner's office also said the manner of death was an "accident."

However, the toxicology report adds that "Cocaine and metabolites were identified and were contributory to the death. Marijuana, Alprazolam (Xanax), Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) were identified but did not contribute to the death."
Moral of the story: don't snort lines of coke when you have heart disease and are about to enter any body of water.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

I learned the hard way not to mix alcohol and benzos. I was in the bathroom taking a leak, and somehow I knocked over a glass cabinet stand thing. I spent the next hour on my knees cleaning up the glass with my bare hands. My knees were red raw in the morning and my hands had a ton of cuts on them and apparently the t-shirt I had on was covered in blood.

Since then, i've been able to drink 5% vol "alcopops" while on benzos and not knock myself out, but I think that's because i've become more tolerant to the benzos. I still can't drink any strong spirits though or the same will happen.
ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyny View Post
This past weekend my 18 year old son was offered xanax because he was very depressed after the loss of his grandfather. He took xanax and drank beer. He ended up in the intensive care unit in the hospital on a ventilator. He almost died. DON'T MIX IT !!! You can die from it. The ICU doctor told us that my son was extremely lucky to be alive.
I'm really sorry about your son - I have an 18 yr old too. It is confusing though - as one of the guys says above - usually it's possible to mix them and the results won't be anything like that - then again we don't know how much he took or how much he drank.

Glad he's Ok anyhow.
don36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Does anyone know how bad the effects are of mixing these two? I'm taking a very small dose of Xanax before social events where I plan on drinking. Will this be really bad? I've heard mixed responses...
I actually did that this weekend. Took 1.5mg of Xanax before and during a wedding (0.5mg at a time). About an hour after taking the last 0.5mg of Xanax, stupidly, I started drinking. Heavily.

I went from being the quiet, nervous guy in the corner to the life of the party. I even kissed a girl and got her number after pretty much banging her on the dance floor in front of my entire family.

Besides a moderate hangover, I felt fine until Sunday evening, when I had a mild panic attack. I've relapsed into a slight depression since. I'm not sure if the Xanax/alcohol mix is to blame, but I was improving until this weekend.

My suggestion is take it very easy with the alcohol. Drink a glass of water between drinks, and pace yourself.

"Everyone wants to get out of the rain
Wants to be free, wants to see no more pain
We're guaranteed that the season will change
'Till then, I'm keeping sunshine on my brain"
- Mike "Eyedea" Larsen (RIP)
Luctor is offline   Reply With Quote