Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

MAOI Diet List**updated w/exceptions

38K views 52 replies 29 participants last post by  jackbeam 
#1 ·
Here is the link to pdf file i uploaded:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105365962

I think this is one of the better ive found online and is far more than the original MAOI diet lists. I dont agree completely with this list but it is more reasonable than most others. I will list my disagreements below.

**A few of my own notes on this list**:

I've found these "prohibited" foods OK to eat:
Cheeses: cheddar, provolone, parmensan
Soy sauce
Caffeine
Chocolate
whey protein powder

#11 ·
I have taken Parnate for about 6-7 years now. I only avoid these foods:
- aged cheeses
The end. Seriously. Well i have yet to try fava bean or banana peel. They're not on my short list.

Never had a problem.

And I avoid drug-drug interactions like with sympathomimetics or dextromethorphan. (I have no problems dealing with colds and sinuses btw, I just use other remedies)

#12 ·
forbidden foods

Nobody has mentioned liver?

"....I ate his liver with fava beans and a bottle of Chianti..."

So said that renowned psychiatrist Dr Hannibal Lector, in 'Silence of the Lambs'. Did he know something we don't?

I have eaten liver too (not human of course), and almost everything on that banned list. The only bad reaction I ever had was when injected with Pethedine in hospital.... v. v. nasty, it seems to reverse the pain killing effect, which is most definitely NOT what you want! I went into shock and nearly died.

#13 ·
I have been on parnate for 1 year now....I have 1 cut of coffee every morning..it's a must for me to be able to like any one. I have also had chocolate with no problems, commercial gravy, but a bit paranoid to really wander too far off. I do know that it took about 3 full weeks for the parnate to start working. But it definitely does. I take 30 ml each day and i take the first amt which is 20ml in the am and the last 10ml at noon. This works best for me to be able to sleep at night. Dr. Are so afraid of the maoi's unless you have exhausted all other ad...which I did. I do take seroquel at night for sleep, which helps more for anxiety than sleep. I'm excited to find a parnate board as there are not many. Good luck too all of you who are now on maoi's.

#14 ·
Be careful. Even though I think the dangers w/food interactions are overblown, I had a serious hypertensive crisis from eating provolone cheese. I think the cheese was nearing or passed it's exp date and that had something to do with it. I was getting pretty cavalier about what I ate and that definitely opened my eyes a bit. My blood pressure shot up to 200/ over something and it happened pretty fast. Normally my bp is quite low.

#15 ·
I am suppose to start Parnate middle of next week. (waiting for Wellbutrin leave my system) My doctor is starting me on a low does, I assume, 10 mg a day. I am very nervous to start this but at the same time so hopeful it works. I have tried 21 AD meds and so fed up with not being able to find something that works for my depression and extreme low energy. Does it help well with energy? I read further up it takes 3 weeks to kick in ... does it take that long to feel the energy boost from it as well? Any insight anyone has on this med, please share!!

#16 ·
I wonder though how many people that have eaten food on the avoid list have actually tested their blood pressure right after it.
My bp could shoot up well into the 200's at times while on parnate but would never have known if i hadn't had my own bp tester. So not feeling different doesn't mean it's safe, you have to actually test your BP to find what's going on.

#17 ·
If your on parnate you really need to follow the diet. If your on nardil your fine. I have on it for years and the I couldn't count the amount of times I have gorged on cheese and red wine.

I eat anything and everything and never had a problem. Sometimes with the chees and red wine I might feel a little flushed but thats it, always hypotension, never hypertension.

Parnate, a few pieces of blue vein cheese sent my bp through the roof, respect that ****

#19 ·
The only times I have had a mild reaction from food on nardil:

- Braised beef in red wine sauce (probably the red wine, or maybe the beef was "stewed" for ages)

- Some weird mustard on a gourmet burger, can't figure that one out.

- Left over meatlovers pizza from dominos. Was only 1 day old (kept in the fridge), but I suspect it was more from the meat than anything else.

Luckily these were only ever mild. Symptoms were a bit of a stronger heartbeat, slower pulse, nausea, and feeling weird in the head (kinda like pins and needles).

Never had a problem with mozzarella cheese which is good as it is often the cheese used on pizza's.

Haven't been game enough to try soy sauce due to variation among soy sauces.

#20 ·
Under the list of food that must be absolutely avoided is broad bean pods. Anybody know what broad bean pods are?

Also, it says to avoid coffee. I'm assuming this is because of the caffeine and that decaf would be fine? Sometimes on weekends I'll drink cup after cup of decaf coffee.

#25 ·
At restaurants they usually list the cheese types. You can ask the server. I eat cheddar no problem. To be honest I eat... er, all of it. (Shhhh!) But not blue cheese. Blue cheese looks gross. And I do avoid cheese if it explicitly says "aged" on it. To servers or to less-intimate friends and family, I just explain I am allergic to some types of cheeses. If they ask I just explain it gives me a migraine. No one bats an eye.

Sausage, prosciutto, ham, bacon, it all goes in the tummy.

No sauerkraut. Is that on the list? Stuff's gross anyway. I don't eat fava beans or banana peels. That has not been a problem.

I actually don't know the list anymore. It's been a long time since I ever worried about the MAOI diet.

For the record I do not necessarily endorse this approach to anyone else taking an MAOI.

#29 ·
Sensitivity to tyramine depends on the individual but also the degree of established irreversible MAO inhibition. So you'll get a more powerful tyramine reaction later on in your trial when intestinal MAO-A becomes less available.

In terms of cheese, a study was done on 14 cheddars where they measured tyramine content. The amounts varied from 72mcg-953mcg per gram. You don't want to get near 25mg or 25000mcg.

#34 ·
Well, I can still eat Aldi Extra Sharp Cheddar (aged 9 months). That's after 21 days at a "real" dose (2 days @ 60mg + 19 days @ 70mg).

There may be some "cheese effect." My BP *might* rise by 10 points after consumption or it could just be a random BP fluctuation. Further study is needed to determine that. Either way it doesn't really matter. Even if the cheese is pushing my BP up by 10 points I'm not going to change my diet as that's a trivial BP change. A modest short term rise in BP a few times a week isn't going to shorten my life, so I'm not going to change my diet and I'm not going to worry about it. I like aged cheddar and I'm going to eat it. I'd avoid it if there were a serious reaction, but when it's so minor you can't tell if it's even for real and not just a random fluctuation I'm not going to worry.

#41 ·
Hey mr t I had a Nardil question for you. I'm currently on my 5th day and on 30mg. I have ready your sticky thread and you said to increase 15mg every week until 60mg is reached. I was wondering if you experienced increase anxiety starting and also if you still are doing well taking it. God bless you and thank you

#44 ·
No, these foods are out of your body long before an MAOI can take effect. Also. it's truly short list things can't eat. It's a list I list of items I've never wanted to eat: banana peels, blue cheese that's just plain gross, and fava beans which I've asked and only lady even knew what they were.

Caffeine is just one of the more popular myths. I regularly take 200mg caffeine pills which have never produced any adverse effect for me. as for me. I take caffeine pills because I hate coffee.

I got my free Nuvigil sample (30 of the 250mg pills).
I can't tell any between Provigil & Nuvigiil.

Three MDs, two being pdocs, fully agree with my taking 400mg of Provigil. My GP is an oddity in that he has a passion for mental health, so he can make an informed decision on whether this is safe as well and he thinks it's a fine idea too.

#43 ·
I have not had to change my diet at all for Parnate nor Nardil.

And keep in mind that, as far as I know, I consumed higher doses of these drugs than anybody else on SAS.

My prescribed dose of Parnate was 120 mg, though I went as high as 200 mg, which is a literal fistful of pills. I'm now on 90 mg of Nardil.

The dietary restrictions are grossly exaggerated, typically by doctors who don't know a damn thing about MAOIs, which would be damn near every MD.

Can you eat cheddar? Sure can. I pigged out on block of extra sharp cheddar the other day, eating about 6 ounces in one sitting.

I take 200 mg caffeine pills as needed. They worry about the trace amounts of caffeine in chocolate. Hell, you'd need to eat Hershy bars by the crate to rival the amount in a caffeine pill.

I can't eat rotten banana peels, but then even my pet rats won't eat a (fresh) banana peel -- despite their absolute love of bananas. I can't imagine anyone is eating rotten banana peels, being less discriminating than a rodent that's basically a garbage disposal with fur & a tail.

I know I definitely can't have fava beens. I have no clue what a fava bean even is. Do you?

I can't drink tap beer, though I could go to Discount Liquor which offers a stunning selection of over 1,000 beers from around the world -- and I could drink anything in a can or bottle. I don't care for beer, though this strikes me as sufficient to satisfy even the most avid beer lover.

I definitely can't eat blue cheese, but then I never wanted to eat moldy cheese to start with.

I can assure you that wine -- both white & red is fine -- as I regularly consume both.

The dietary restrictions are grossly exaggerating, either being things that you actually can eat, or things you probably never wanted to eat in the first place.

Please don't worry about the dietary restricts or let them stop you from trying an MAOI as there are so few foods you truly need to avoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.