Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Looking for a new anti-depressant

887 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rockyraccoon 
#1 ·
I've been on zoloft for about 3 years now and it works ok, but I'm looking to try something new. My main issues with it are the sexual dysfunction, and brain fog. I still have depression and basically 0 energy or motivation to do anything.
I've been on celexa before and that basically made my dink numb and virtually impossible to cum, it also made me quite agitated. I've also been on paxil with similar effects.
I've looked into the snri's but they seem to cause even worse sexual problems?
Mainly I'm looking for something that actually works for depression, without messing with me downstairs, and upstairs with the brain fog.

#3 ·
Trazodone, mirtazapine and from what i have read, wellbutrin.

Spacebar, you don't necessarily have to stop sertraline. From experience, when I was on sertraline and added mirtazapine, the sexual side effects went. Apparently trazodone, which I take for sleep now, will do the same thing combined with SSRI's.

#5 ·
As far as "new" there are a couple like Brintellix and Viibryd which are relatively low on sexual side effects compared to the SSRIs. Not for everyone though. If your problem is only depression then Wellbutrin may be perfect and it often has the opposite effect.

Brain fog is different or subjective sort to speak to everyone. Some medicines may cause brain fog to some while others don't feel it the same. If that's a major concern as well then I would generally stay away from AD's like Mirtazepine or Trazodone which have very high sedative properties.

Sometimes adding Wellbutrin to an AD can counter some of the negative side effects. In theory, like balancing the Serotonin with Dopamine and Norpinephrine.

#6 ·
The older drugs especially the tricyclics never caused me any sexual side effects. SSRI's are notorious for producing sexual side effects. Like other have said, you could try augmenting with Trazodone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.