Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Long term effects of meds

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  n1kkuh 
#1 ·
Well, after a couple years of trying my best to eliminate SA through lifestyle changes and supplements, I've finally broken down and decided to get some meds. My biggest concern is of the possible damage long term use of meds might cause... is anyone familiar with with the long term effects of SSRIs and MAOIs, bad or good?

also, should I:
a. try whatever SSRI my doc will surely give me
b. push for an MAOI
c. pretend I have ADHD and try to get Adderall :p

#2 ·
I have tried SSRIs (3 of them) and none of them helped me, it was like taking a sugar pill basically. But the withdrawal to get off them can be hell. I tried Adderall and it gave me all kinds of weird neurological problems including muscle twitching and just weird sensations in my hands that felt like my nerves were firing off like crazy for no reason. I have no idea what thats called. Anyway, here is a list of side effects off the web. For something more in depth you may want to check out this book at the library: http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Drug-A...1429206799/ref=pd_sim_b_2/181-9054425-9749219

SSRI's:

• Anhedonia
  • Apathy
  • Nausea
  • Drowsiness or somnolence
  • Headache
  • Clenching of teeth
  • Extremely vivid and strange dreams
  • Dizziness
  • Changes in appetite
  • Weight loss/gain (measured by a change in bodyweight of 7 pounds)
  • May result in a double risk of bone fractures and injuries
  • Changes in sexual behaviour (see the next section)
  • Increased feelings of depression and anxiety (which may sometimes provoke panic attacks)
  • Tremors
  • Autonomic dysfunction including orthostatic hypotension, increased or reduced sweating
  • Akathisia
  • Liver or renal impairment
  • Suicidal ideation (thoughts of suicide)
MAOIs (specifically Nardil, not sure about others):

• Orthostatic Hypotension
  • Dizziness
  • Headache(without increased blood pressure),
  • Fatigue,
  • Insomnia
  • Sexual difficulty (esp. ejaculatory dysfunction),
  • Urinary hesitancy
  • Chills
  • Carbohydrate cravings
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea
  • Dryness of mouth
  • Hepatitis (dark urine, skin rash, yellow eyes or skin),
  • Parkinsonian syndrome
  • Shakiness or trembling

Adderall:

• Hypertension
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Dry mouth
  • Nausea
  • Agitation
  • Anxiety
  • Dizziness
  • Insomnia
  • Tachycardia
  • Weight loss
From overdose of Adderall

• Restlessness
  • Tremor
  • Hyperreflexia
  • Rapid respiration
  • Confusion
  • Hallucinations
  • Panic states
  • High fever
  • Rhabdomyolysis
  • Cardiac arrhythmias
  • Circulatory collapse
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Seizures

#4 ·
Almost all drugs are going to have side effects, and when you start talking about long term medication, the become more significant. If you're very serious about long-term medication, you probably want something that you can take for a long period of time without it losing efficacy or causing long-term and/or permanent damage. Well, at least minimal damage.

I've found it helpful to read testimonials. There are a few sites on the internet that host them. For example: http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drugs-treatments/rating/nardil

You'll find different feedback with these testimonials. Some will say that they've been on an antidepressant for decades and it still works fine for them and the sexual side effects are worth it. Others I have read complain about side effects from antidepressants that don't begin to come out until the 5-10 year mark: memory loss, insomnia/narcolepsy, hair loss, etc - and these may be permanent. I've talked to one psychiatrist who said SSRI's are perfectly safe to take long-term, the only risk is that they eventually will poop out and then what will you do? He's seen this happen far, far too many times, which is why he recommends cognitive therapy on the side. A different psychiatrist said no, these meds are going to cause damage long term, but you have to ask yourself how much they improve your quality of life and continue taking them based on that, with the risks in mind. YMMV.

#9 ·
Lists of side-effects like that are total bull****. There are several stages of SSRI effects and some will only appear in one stage (i.e. first few weeks), and some are quite idiosyncratic (bone fractures?).
They aren't total bull****. What is bull**** is trying to tell someone they can take a med without the possibility of side effects. That's downright irresponsible, actually. ALL meds have possible side effects. You don't have to tell me about SSRIs. I've been on 3.

Lists of side effects are only POSSIBLE side effect you MIGHT get. Dont expect to get anywhere more than like 0-10% of the list for more than a short time.
I was part of the 10% that experienced horrible side effects from meds. I feel it's my responsibility to let anyone who is asking know what the possible side effects of a medication they are considering are. You never know how something is going to affect you. There's nothing wrong with being aware and cautious.

#6 ·
Lists of side effects are only POSSIBLE side effects you MIGHT get. Dont expect to get anywhere more than like 0-10% of the list for more than a short time.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! I really like that site you gave me, gordonjohnson008.

I'm not so much worried about common or initial side effects, I expect those. Its the effects a drug might have on your physical and mental health after years of use, that might be permanent damage... I don't even know if I'll have to be on meds for so long, but still. I've had a hard time finding info on this, I guess it just varies from person to person? Well, hopefully I can get CBT along with whatever I'm prescribed and might not have to take it for so long. Its just so damn EXPENSIVE! :/

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! I really like that site you gave me, gordonjohnson008.

I'm not so much worried about common or initial side effects, I expect those. Its the effects a drug might have on your physical and mental health after years of use, that might be permanent damage... I don't even know if I'll have to be on meds for so long, but still. I've had a hard time finding info on this, I guess it just varies from person to person? Well, hopefully I can get CBT along with whatever I'm prescribed and might not have to take it for so long. Its just so damn EXPENSIVE! :/
The problem is that a lot of these drugs haven't been around long enough for anyone to know what happens if you take them for 15 years straight. It's a gamble I guess.

You might also want to check the FDA website as well. Here is a PDF I found on Nardil, I didn't search for anything else: http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2002/11909slr030lbl.pdf

#13 ·
#15 ·
Hey Attica, have you considered trying a benzo? I personally have been taking a benzo for the passed 3 weeks and I have done things that I would have never imagined myself doing a few months ago. With the help of benzo's I have been able to open up to my therapist, mend a deteriorating friend ship that was on the verge of collapse, and get some freakin' sleep. There are some side effects and it doesn't cure the anxiety itself in the long run, but it allows you to do those things where you felt your anxiety has been holding you back. And I'm not undermining the possibilities of AD's helping you out, its just I thought I'd throw it out there for you, because benzo's sure have helped me a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.