Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Long term Atypical anti-psychotic use

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mserychic 
#1 ·
Anyone using them long term? Ive been on Zyprexa for like 3 years now. Anyone been on one longer? Any long term side effects?

#2 ·
Noca said:
Anyone using them long term? Ive been on Zyprexa for like 3 years now. Anyone been on one longer? Any long term side effects?
weight gain but I saw your pictures and that doesn't seem like a problem for you. Also the longer you go the more you risk Tardive Dyskinesia.

I've only been on Seroquel for a month or so.

#3 ·
I was on Seroquel about 1.5 years, stopped for half a year and have been back on it about a year. Seeing as I'll probably have to be on it for a long, long time I'm curious about this too. Of course there's the weight gain but that has leveled off and I needed it anyways. There is a foggy brain/ bad memory effect but it's been so long I can barely remember the difference.

#4 ·
Dagon said:
Also the longer you go the more you risk Tardive Dyskinesia.
Is there any evidence to support that? I'm asking simply because I'm not personally aware of any, though I'm familiar with the warning.

I know TD was a serious risk that just keeps getting more likely the longer traditional antipsychotics are used. This would be why the old antipsychotics aren't used today, unless all the newer drugs have failed and one still has a patient that is actually psychotic. I guess an irreversible movement disorder that will last a lifetime is only deemed an acceptable risk when the choices are between being totally detached from reality and living in padded room for life or taking a risky pill that might make one normal enough to live outside a mental institution.

I guessing the TD warning mandated by the FDA on atypical antipsychotics may well just be the FDA being extra careful. Clearly docs don't deem this a serious risk with the way they hand them out like candy.

Of course, anyone who's read my regular rants knows that I despise antipsychotics & any jackass doc who'd prescribe it for SA treatment, when vastly cheaper and more effective treatments are readily available.

And Noca only takes Zyprexa to gain weight, the only time I've ever heard of it used for that -- though I'd say that's what it does best, but they don't market it for that since few people need nor want that effect. He could consider a move to the land down under. Australians are even fatter than Americans (and it's damn hard to beat us) + they have National Health Care too. Perhaps the friendly folks down under could share their secrets for weight gain. :lol

#5 ·
UltraShy said:
Is there any evidence to support that? I'm asking simply because I'm not personally aware of any, though I'm familiar with the warning.
I don't know if their is any evidence but my doctor told me before he gave me Abilify and then Seroquil that their is 1% to 2% risk of it. The higher the dose the higher the risk. Then he said that "So if you take it for 20 years their is a 20-40% chance you will get it."

I don't know if I believe that though.

#6 ·
ive been on atypical antipsychotics for two years and only have experienced weight gain and increase in prolactin levels with breast enlargement

#8 ·
Isn't TD considered *potentially* irreversible (meaning there's a chance for it to go away with a decrease in dose and/or the addition of something like benztropine) while Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome is the really bad possible effect that's permanent and usually ends in death?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.