X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 02-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lithium, Depakote combined?

Hey,

My Doc just prescribed me Depakote in addition to my Lithium. That's 600mg of Lithium (relativily low), and 400mg of Depakote per day. I'm not feeling any improvement from the Lithium, but it's also not causing any side effects. They didn't test for my Lithium blood level but they tested for everything else you can possibly test for. So my Doc had to test me again!!!LOL, anyway I needed something to help with the Depression/Anxiety I still deal with. I can't take SSRI's, Buproprin, or the like since they just don't agree with me. I tried to get one of the TCA's but he didn't wanna try any of those so he gave me a script for Depakote. I know these are both mood stabalizers, and aren't generally scripted together. I did find a few cursory trials/research things that used the a combination of the two, but nothing relativily procedure or run of the mill for them.

My question is has anyone else heard of this combination or actually been on it??

By the way if you haven't read my other posts I'm also on Seroquel 125mg a day.

"IT can BE what YOU want IT to BE......."

RX: Lithium 600mg, Effexor 150mg, Provigil 200mg, Seroquel 125mg
EgoLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have not heard of that particular combo, but anything is possible.

My pdoc just put me on Depakote too (250mg) and I am also on Lamictal (now 100mg). From my understanding, in my case, the Lamictal is for the BP depression end of the spectrum and the Depakote is for the hypomania. I am also taking Lyrica for my migraines (not working) but it has helped my anxiety.

I go back to my pdoc next week. And will have to have my blood checked then.

Let us know how you are doing. I'm curious about your combo.

_jen

Current Rx: Seroquel, Lamictal, Zanaflex

Rx: I have been on just about everything once. Anti-Depressants, Anti-Convulsants, Anti-Psychotics, Benzos, etc.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
firedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default cool

I missread the prescription, it's actually 250mg twice a day, instead of 200mg, sorry. Like I said there have been a few cursory studies done on the combination. Also I haven't found any interactions between them that could be potentially toxic, only complications relative to the illness they are used to treat. Nothing new about that though.

I'll let you guys know how it works.

P.S. I have saw some studies related to the combination of Lamitcal and Depakote, or Lamictal and Lithium. So there may be some promise there for you!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I hope this combo works.

Have you checked out http://www.crazymeds.org ? There is ton of info there and they have a message board too. Also http://www.crazyboards.org (used to be the same thing and they split).

Rx: I have been on just about everything once. Anti-Depressants, Anti-Convulsants, Anti-Psychotics, Benzos, etc.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks firedancer,

I wasn't aware there was a "New" Crazymeds forum. I frequent the old one and The actual Crazymeds Info pages.

I noticed someone replyed to one of your posts saying not to take Aspirin or Alkaseltzer(sp). This is very true, my Doc told me this and my prescribing info also noted it. Just a reminder.

For anyonoe else who is wondering, I did see someone mention on that same crazyforum post taking Depakote and Lithium together. It's not all "THAT" uncommon I think. Just not heard of much.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

i read the PI sheet so i knew about the aspirin. i'm taking vicoprofen for my migraine pain, so i'm covered there too.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Old 02-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why the Depakote? Have you been cycling/manic?

Depakote + Lithium is a very common combo, especially if you want something that works fast. Also along with Seroquel - sounds okay to me. They did test your Lithium blood level initially, right?

Papa's little helpers: Parnate 90 mg, Adderall 30 mg, Lamictal 300 mg, Xanax prn
Caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I asked for something other than an SSRI for some persisting depression and anxiety. I think he's trying to hold me over till the Lithium and Seroquel kick in. As far as the Lithium blood testing; I supposedly had the test last month, but they tested everything BUT my Lithium level. Doctors mistake, so I had it done today. I'm still on only 300mg twice a day. I have no side effects or benefits from the lithium, so I figure I'm not at the theraputic dose yet, but I'll stay at the same dose till the test comes back.

I honestly wasn't aware this Lithium/Depakote combo was that commonplace. I've found very little research, etc on it. You don't have any links you could steer me toward do you Caedmon?

Also I see that I need to be blood tested for the Depakote too.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoLost
I asked for something other than an SSRI for some persisting depression and anxiety. I think he's trying to hold me over till the Lithium and Seroquel kick in. As far as the Lithium blood testing; I supposedly had the test last month, but they tested everything BUT my Lithium level. Doctors mistake, so I had it done today. I'm still on only 300mg twice a day. I have no side effects or benefits from the lithium, so I figure I'm not at the theraputic dose yet, but I'll stay at the same dose till the test comes back.
Argh! For all we know, Lithium could be effective monotherapy if it were only at an effective blood level! Well I assume you'll figure all this out when the labs come back.

Not sure that this combination is common, but I wouldn't think it uncommon. Lithium for depression and Depakote for mania or something like that. Is all I was thinking. Depakote does make sense for anxiety, although not really for depression.

Read everything on Dr. Phelps' page. Or straight to treatment. Read every link! I love this page.

Papa's little helpers: Parnate 90 mg, Adderall 30 mg, Lamictal 300 mg, Xanax prn
Old 02-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

That is a great link. I have spent alot of time on that site.

_jen

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Old 02-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Have you taken the Depakote yet Travis? How is it affecting you? How about you Jen?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

or me, doc told me i could stop the seroquel. so i was hoping that it help with my insomnia (from mania) that i have had the past 2.5 weeks. nope. i'm still staying up all night. this is something that i will have to address next week at my next appt.

other than that, just some stomach discomfort.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Old 02-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

I started this morning. Depakote reminded me of Lithium in a way when I started using it. Slightly blurred vision, (not all the time, transient), dry taste, but unbelievably no stomach discomfort. It has made me tired, in a way. Not so much zonked out, but "i could take a nap," tired. As long as I'm busy I don't notice it much.

I think it's actually cooled the anxiety off a bit today, that's a good thing. But it has seemed to elavate the depression. This may be because of the fatigue it is causing. I just can't seem to kick this down in the dumps feeling, that I have for no reason.

Tommmorows another day, but looking optimistic!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

you are taking it the morning? my pdoc told me to take it at night.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Old 03-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Taking it twice a day at Breakfast and Dinner. Today was better, I wasn't as tired actually. It's not so bad really. I think it's helping a little. But not as much as Lithium did when I first started it.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

i think that i am going to have to call my pdoc. i've been on it a week and have not sleep a single night. i usually make myself go to bed around 7am and i sleep for about 4 hours and them i'm up again. i've been told that this is not typical.

i don't know, but he will probably tell me to up the dosage.

_jen

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Old 03-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Are you still taking the same Seroquel along with the new Depakote Jen?

I'm having trouble sleeping too, I don't know if it's hypomania or what. Functioning on 2 hours despite not being tired is... surprisingly crappy. I took some Risperdal (2 mg) and that is helping a bit.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Pdoc told me to stop the Seroquel, but I taken it since I started Depa but didn't notice any tiredness. Funny because before the hypo, I could take 75mg a night and sleep like a baby. Before Depa, it got to the point where it didn't work when I was hypomanic and I've been like this for almost 4 weeks now. I'm up all night and it sucks. I'm not tired at all.

I'm going to call him tomorrow. Hopefully he can recommend something.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me
Old 03-02-2006, 05:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Seroquel only makes me sleep if I'm already tired and exausted. In that state I'm out like a light. But if I'm well rested it won't do a thing. That's at 100-125mg.

Along with Depakote the last few days it's cuased enough fatigue to do the trick at 100mg. That's a good thing I guess, but who wants to get that tired everyday to sleep? Ya know even deep, hard sleep feels taxing on the body, in a tiring sense!

But I'm able to sleep for at least 6 hours. I can not really complain on the sleep side.

Firedancer,

You haven't slept since you started the depakote? I'd reconsider its benefits before I dropped the old scripts, i.e. Seroquel.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

I called my pdoc today and he's out of the office until Mon, which is when my appt is.

I'm really considering taking the Seroquel anyway. If I have to take more than the usual 75mg, then I will.

The problem is that I am wired at night. And when I wake up from the 3-4 hours of sleep, I'm wired again (unless I have a migraine, which I still am).

Oh, sorry for the thread hijack.

last.fm
facebook
myspace
tumblr
formspring.me