Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts

Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lexapro + Stimulants

Any one ever notice any increased interaction's by combineing lexapro with coffee, ritlin or dexdrine?
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I find that lexapro combines well with ritalin and amphetamine.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lexapro can be combined safely with caffeine, methylphenidate or any amphetamine (assuming they are prescribed for you).

If you are asking if they work better in combination, it all depends on the individual.
Jericho187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe it just me then i've been only sleeping like 3-4 hour's a night from having 1 cup of coffee and 10mg of lexapro..... and my bp been higher with the combo, But that can also be cause by being sleep deprived.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

When do you take the Lexapro? If at night, it may be disturbing your sleep. Try taking it in the morning instead. Same thing with the coffee.

Is the insomnia a new thing for you? Can you think of any other activites that are preventing you from sleeping well? (eg. temperature in the room, exercising before bed, TV in the room, heavy meals before bed etc.)
Jericho187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've have been taking it in the morning, and been going for long walk's daily there is a tv in the room but its usually off, the insomina started about 5 day's ago when i added coffee into my diet,
Im just hoping i get a decent amount of sleep tonight and my bp goes down it's at like 150/105 ;/ and my head hurt's lol, Also been paranoid....
Old 11-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I went for 2 walk's that day one about 7 miles and the other one 5 miles that finish about around 10pm....
Old 11-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

u gotta tell this to doc

but some ibuprofen could calm u down a bit, try drinking green tea instead of coffee

btw how long are u taking lexapro??
baranok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

After a couple rough night's my sleeping has returned too normal and my blood pressure back down too 120/80 i drop my antidepressant dose down too 5mg for now.. cause it can cause insomnia but i notice when i was getting way less sleep the lexapro was working way better i wonder if that one of the mechanism that it work's in making your sleep deprived and delusional.

it coulda been a interaction between ramipril or lexapro or they both might not agree with caffeine, been on it for about a month after quitting effexor.. gonna resume 10mg lexapro after a couple of day's of good sleep too see if that was the cause,
Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

alright here is my finding's with the combo's and previous experience's

ritlin and lexpro i find they potentiate one another effect greatly reducing the amount of lexapro needing too be effective i was taking 20mg lexapro 20mg ritlin sr at the time i think there was some kinda interaction and i was getting serotonin syndrome extremely high blood pressure it made me real talkative confusion severe dehydration tho, i found 2.5mg-5mg lexapro too be much safer and making the lexapro acting like a higher dose i was also smoking cigarettes on the higher dose every smoke made my blood feel like it was turning into sand, higher blood pressure when combine but really cognition enhancing i think it stop the breakdown of the lex and causes more insomina

with adderall and dexedrine.... it just completely nullified the antidepressant effect the depression just overwhelmed the antidepressant increased insomina and malnurition had too discontinue

coffee increased effectiveness more dehydration and some insomnia similar too ritilin

just curious if you guy's had similar results?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

SSRI and Stimulants: Frying the Brain

Dr. Cheney recently came across some information regarding the dangers of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI╠s), such as Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil, and stimulants like Ritalin and Provigil.
When talking with patients, Cheney usually opens the book to a picture of a monkey's brain before and after it received a very potent SSRI. The "before" photo shows a dark background filled with fine white lines and white blobs, healthy neurons. The "after" photo is very dark, only a few white lines and blobs remain. Most of the brain cells had been "fried".
SSRIs and stimulants work by increasing the firing of neurons. While this often has great benefits in the short term, doctors are now realizing that long term use "fries" brain cells. The body views any neuron that fires excessively over time as damaged, and destroys it. SSRIs and stimulants, taken over a period of 10 years or so, can lead to a loss of brain
cells, causing neurodegenerative disorders. Many doctors have recently seen a sudden increase in patients with neurological symptoms, and most have been on Prozac, or a similar drug, for about 10 years. Cheney is seeing this in his own practice.
During office visits, Cheney also shows patients a copy of the May 22, 2000 issue of Newsweek with Michael J. Fox on the cover. It has an excellent article on Parkinson's
Disease, a condition that involves a loss of neurons in the area associated with motor control. Parkinson's drugs stimulate the remaining neurons to "perform heroically", firing excessively. However, the article notes that while benefits are seen initially, neurological symptoms get much worse at the three to five-year point. Patients experience wild involuntary movements, etc. These drugs, though helpful in the short term, actually speed up the degenerative process.
What mechanisms are at work causing neurons to be "fried"? SSRIs are often prescribed for depression, which involves a lack of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, a chemical messenger. One neuron releases a burst of it into the intersynaptic cleft, (the gap between neurons). The serotonin is then taken up by special receptors in the adjacent neuron. Thus a message is sent from one neuron to another, with serotonin carrying the message across the gap. Excess serotonin is cleared away before a new message is sent.
imrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah i find from being over activating not getting enough sleep it feel's like my limb's and arm's are burning sometimes it goes away after sleeping tho, but the burning pain kinda make it more difficult too sleep smoking make this worst, even after work from working hard being stressed make it harder too sleep, could it be nerve damage from over firing... or lactic acid i dunno i've been trying too get 7-8.5 hours of sleep aday this is real important and i find this the most important and feeling great if i maintain this
Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotAnxiety View Post
Any one ever notice any increased interaction's by combineing lexapro with coffee, ritlin or dexdrine?
Combining SSRIs like Lexapro with meds like methylphenidate (Ritalin) can result in higher levels of that SSRI in your system. This can be a good thing if your well-trained-doctor-who-knows-exactly-what-he's-doing is using it to augment the Lexapro for a specific therapeutic reason.

Obviously it's not so good if the the only thing achieved is worsening SSRI side effects like dizziness, headache, insomnia, sleepiness, Serotonin Syndrome, etc.

fwiw
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kon

Coffee does nothing for me. I can have 3 cups of coffee and fall asleep easily except I wake up to piss. Lexapro with or without coffee makes no difference but 120 mg pseudoepedrine does make me wake up earlier (and not to urinate) but I still have no trouble falling asleep. I have no clue why?
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrj View Post
SSRI and Stimulants: Frying the Brain

Dr. Cheney recently came across some information regarding the dangers of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI╠s), such as Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil, and stimulants like Ritalin and Provigil.
When talking with patients, Cheney usually opens the book to a picture of a monkey's brain before and after it received a very potent SSRI. The "before" photo shows a dark background filled with fine white lines and white blobs, healthy neurons. The "after" photo is very dark, only a few white lines and blobs remain. Most of the brain cells had been "fried".
SSRIs and stimulants work by increasing the firing of neurons. While this often has great benefits in the short term, doctors are now realizing that long term use "fries" brain cells. The body views any neuron that fires excessively over time as damaged, and destroys it. SSRIs and stimulants, taken over a period of 10 years or so, can lead to a loss of brain
cells, causing neurodegenerative disorders. Many doctors have recently seen a sudden increase in patients with neurological symptoms, and most have been on Prozac, or a similar drug, for about 10 years. Cheney is seeing this in his own practice.
During office visits, Cheney also shows patients a copy of the May 22, 2000 issue of Newsweek with Michael J. Fox on the cover. It has an excellent article on Parkinson's
Disease, a condition that involves a loss of neurons in the area associated with motor control. Parkinson's drugs stimulate the remaining neurons to "perform heroically", firing excessively. However, the article notes that while benefits are seen initially, neurological symptoms get much worse at the three to five-year point. Patients experience wild involuntary movements, etc. These drugs, though helpful in the short term, actually speed up the degenerative process.
What mechanisms are at work causing neurons to be "fried"? SSRIs are often prescribed for depression, which involves a lack of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, a chemical messenger. One neuron releases a burst of it into the intersynaptic cleft, (the gap between neurons). The serotonin is then taken up by special receptors in the adjacent neuron. Thus a message is sent from one neuron to another, with serotonin carrying the message across the gap. Excess serotonin is cleared away before a new message is sent.
lolol

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Do you guy's take your Ritalin with your Lexapro first thing in the morning or take lexapro at a different time?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
lolol
Laughing because it's bs? Seems a tad sensational.
offbyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offbyone View Post
Laughing because it's bs? Seems a tad sensational.
cant be disproven either....so is it worth to wait and see? LOL
imrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotAnxiety View Post
alright here is my finding's with the combo's and previous experience's

ritlin and lexpro i find they potentiate one another effect greatly reducing the amount of lexapro needing too be effective i was taking 20mg lexapro 20mg ritlin sr at the time i think there was some kinda interaction and i was getting serotonin syndrome extremely high blood pressure it made me real talkative confusion severe dehydration tho, i found 2.5mg-5mg lexapro too be much safer and making the lexapro acting like a higher dose i was also smoking cigarettes on the higher dose every smoke made my blood feel like it was turning into sand, higher blood pressure when combine but really cognition enhancing i think it stop the breakdown of the lex and causes more insomina

with adderall and dexedrine.... it just completely nullified the antidepressant effect the depression just overwhelmed the antidepressant increased insomina and malnurition had too discontinue

coffee increased effectiveness more dehydration and some insomnia similar too ritilin

just curious if you guy's had similar results?
I'm very sleepy/asleep for most of the day on 120 mg MPH and 40 mg Lexapro, so I have no idea what to make of it.

Adding the Lexapro also made my BP and heart rate drop.

So at the moment (but it's still early day) they certainly don't seem to potentiate each other for me, rather the opposite. Or maybe the MPH IS potentiating the well known sleepiness caused by SSRI's and this is the result? I don't know

Either way: I still remember the moment an psychiatrist who was still in education and functioning as an assistant tell me (when I told her about lying in bed even more on a high dose of a certain SSRI): "SSRI's are activating". I thought to myself: "****ing LOL, she clearly has never taken one herself".

This is not to bash SSRI's, not at all, but we all know they are NOT activating and will certainly make you more tired tje higher the dosage.
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

Wow one of my first posts. Im thinking it might of been the addition of the smoking / smoking withdrawal causing neuropathic burning pain. Recently i quit smoking again and experienced some burning.

I must be different cause on higher doses of lexs i was only able to sleep 4 hours a night and id wake in a pool of sweat. It made me feel like a zombie cause my body never recovered. It was also harsh on the skin. im only taking 2.5mg atm it seems to help lower my blood pressure as well. No sleeping problems on this low dose.

I may retry concerta in 3 months. I recently went to the doc and got lexapro wellbutrin and dexedrine prescribed.