Lexapro or Paxil - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree2 Liked Posts

Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default Lexapro or Paxil

Have you had success with Lexapro or Paxil for SA? I have no energy on Lexapro and get migraines. I might switch to Paxil. I read the weight gain is high with Paxil, but I also read complaints about hair loss with Lexapro. Neither of those side effects sound good!
Which one is more sedating, better at treating SA and has the least amount of side effects? I can't take an SSRI that is too stimulating, because they make me jittery.
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
alittleunwell's Avatar
 
Status: On the Road to Normal
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 219



Default

Try Paxil CR, my pdoc says it's less likely to cause weight gain than the IR. I've been on it for over 3 months and lost 25 lbs. Definite improvement in my SA, I've joined a gym (something I would never do before) and I'm more at ease with talking to strangers. For the first month it was a bit stimulating, but that side effect went away. I can't take Lexipro, it made me so wired I didn't sleep for days.
shana likes this.
alittleunwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxioustocalm View Post
Have you had success with Lexapro or Paxil for SA? I have no energy on Lexapro and get migraines. I might switch to Paxil. I read the weight gain is high with Paxil, but I also read complaints about hair loss with Lexapro. Neither of those side effects sound good!
Which one is more sedating, better at treating SA and has the least amount of side effects? I can't take an SSRI that is too stimulating, because they make me jittery.

Be careful of trying Zoloft because it's stimulating (my psychiatrist informed me of this). I'm on Lexapro and Klonopin, I would say it's working very well; I'm not reacting to things in a negative way as I normally would. I am pretty tired most of the day (only side effect), but that beats being extremely anxious and panicky every day. Paxil did not do a thing for my panic attacks and social anxiety. Don't forget though everyone is different, what might work for one, might not work for the other. It's trial and error. If you're having migraines try drinking a lot of water throughout the day.
shana likes this.
__________________
Sara2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittleunwell View Post
Try Paxil CR, my pdoc says it's less likely to cause weight gain than the IR. I've been on it for over 3 months and lost 25 lbs. Definite improvement in my SA, I've joined a gym (something I would never do before) and I'm more at ease with talking to strangers. For the first month it was a bit stimulating, but that side effect went away. I can't take Lexipro, it made me so wired I didn't sleep for days.
wired? I am the opposite. I feel tired on Lex.

Did you want to lose 25 lbs or was it a side effect?
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
Be careful of trying Zoloft because it's stimulating (my psychiatrist informed me of this). I'm on Lexapro and Klonopin, I would say it's working very well; I'm not reacting to things in a negative way as I normally would. I am pretty tired most of the day (only side effect), but that beats being extremely anxious and panicky every day. Paxil did not do a thing for my panic attacks and social anxiety. Don't forget though everyone is different, what might work for one, might not work for the other. It's trial and error. If you're having migraines try drinking a lot of water throughout the day.
I can't take Zoloft. It made me too jittery.

What mg of Lexapro are you on? How long have you been on it?
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxioustocalm View Post
I can't take Zoloft. It made me too jittery.

What mg of Lexapro are you on? How long have you been on it?
I take 10mg of Lexapro a day and 0.5 mg of Klonopin twice a day. I've been on this regimen for about 4 days. I know what youíre thinking, that's hardly enough time to make an assumption, but I can definitely feel a difference! I was told by my psychiatrist that I have severe depression and anxiety. It takes 4 to 6 weeks for antidepressants to reach maximum effect. You said you wanted to feel sedated and I would suggest Lexapro for this, but if it gives you migraines thatís not good (like I said try drinking lots of water throughout the day). Prozac made my social anxiety worse, Paxil didn't do anything. Once again though, everyone reacts differently, so it's very subjective when it comes to medication. I hope you find your relief. There are lots of different meds to try, so donít get discouraged.
__________________
Sara2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southeastern US
Gender: Male
Posts: 3



Default

Lexapro is not indicated for Social Anxiety Disorder, so the use of it for this condition is off-label. I am not a big fan of it, I tried both it and its counterpart Celexa and they made me feel horrible.

Paxil is indicated for Social Anxiety Disorder, as well as about every other anxiety disorder out there. I have had tremendous success with it. In a matter of months it completely cured my anxiety with very little side effects. I did not gain any weight. There have been multiple independent studies showing its efficacy for SAD. The main downside to Paxil is that once you come off of it, the withdrawals are a little rougher than some of the other meds, but you can solve this by asking for the liquid solution during your taper-off period and going down very very slowly.

I took Paxil from July 2011-May 2012 and I went from having severe debilitating panic attacks in social situations to being completely normal. I tapered off during the month of June and I am still feeling fine today. That's about as good a success story as you can get. It pretty much changed my life.
qcsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
basuraeuropea's Avatar
 
Status: avui, no demŗ
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: de luz, temecula, ca / llanÁŗ, catalunya, esp
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 3,116



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxioustocalm View Post
Have you had success with Lexapro or Paxil for SA? I have no energy on Lexapro and get migraines. I might switch to Paxil. I read the weight gain is high with Paxil, but I also read complaints about hair loss with Lexapro. Neither of those side effects sound good!
Which one is more sedating, better at treating SA and has the least amount of side effects? I can't take an SSRI that is too stimulating, because they make me jittery.

i responded to your post in a different thread - but i liked paxil over lexapro. read up on luvox as well, it's a great anxiolytic.

i didn't gain any weight on paxil and was on the drug for ten years before it stopped working. i didn't experience any side effects while on paxil, actually.

lexapro didn't control my anxiety at the highest recommended dose per fda guidelines (20mg/day) and it caused hair loss.
__________________
'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
basuraeuropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
beaches09's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: US
Gender: Male
Posts: 520



Default

Paxil for me was very chillaxing. Very anxiolytic. I loved the stuff and had a blast while on it (my fav ssri), but I couldn't go without caffeine to get going.
__________________

beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
alittleunwell's Avatar
 
Status: On the Road to Normal
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 219



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxioustocalm View Post
Did you want to lose 25 lbs or was it a side effect?
Both, and also an effect of the med working well for me. The first month I lost 10 lbs without trying, it just melted off. I need to lose weight, so it gave me the kick start I needed to begin a lifestyle change. The Paxil also reduced my SA so that I'm able to join a gym and actually go work out 4x a week. After three months I can definitely say it's been easier to get the lbs. off than it ever was before (it was always a huge struggle no matter what I did).
alittleunwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcsox View Post
Lexapro is not indicated for Social Anxiety Disorder, so the use of it for this condition is off-label. I am not a big fan of it, I tried both it and its counterpart Celexa and they made me feel horrible.

Paxil is indicated for Social Anxiety Disorder, as well as about every other anxiety disorder out there. I have had tremendous success with it. In a matter of months it completely cured my anxiety with very little side effects. I did not gain any weight. There have been multiple independent studies showing its efficacy for SAD. The main downside to Paxil is that once you come off of it, the withdrawals are a little rougher than some of the other meds, but you can solve this by asking for the liquid solution during your taper-off period and going down very very slowly.

I took Paxil from July 2011-May 2012 and I went from having severe debilitating panic attacks in social situations to being completely normal. I tapered off during the month of June and I am still feeling fine today. That's about as good a success story as you can get. It pretty much changed my life.
That is a success story! Did you take reg or CR Paxil? What mg?
What side effects did you have while on Lexapro? I have a slight increase in tremor, migraines & have no energy.
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
I take 10mg of Lexapro a day and 0.5 mg of Klonopin twice a day. I've been on this regimen for about 4 days. I know what youíre thinking, that's hardly enough time to make an assumption, but I can definitely feel a difference! I was told by my psychiatrist that I have severe depression and anxiety. It takes 4 to 6 weeks for antidepressants to reach maximum effect. You said you wanted to feel sedated and I would suggest Lexapro for this, but if it gives you migraines thatís not good (like I said try drinking lots of water throughout the day). Prozac made my social anxiety worse, Paxil didn't do anything. Once again though, everyone reacts differently, so it's very subjective when it comes to medication. I hope you find your relief. There are lots of different meds to try, so donít get discouraged.
I will try to add more water. Thanks! Did you just begin Klonopin? That might be the main reason for the quick relief. I hope it continues to work for you.
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
i responded to your post in a different thread - but i liked paxil over lexapro. read up on luvox as well, it's a great anxiolytic.

i didn't gain any weight on paxil and was on the drug for ten years before it stopped working. i didn't experience any side effects while on paxil, actually.

lexapro didn't control my anxiety at the highest recommended dose per fda guidelines (20mg/day) and it caused hair loss.
I will read up on Luvox. I will instantly stop Lexapro if I notice hair loss! That is not good. How long did you stay on Lexapro?
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
basuraeuropea's Avatar
 
Status: avui, no demŗ
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: de luz, temecula, ca / llanÁŗ, catalunya, esp
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 3,116



Default

four - five months.
__________________
'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
basuraeuropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxioustocalm View Post
I will try to add more water. Thanks! Did you just begin Klonopin? That might be the main reason for the quick relief. I hope it continues to work for you.
Good, sometimes headaches are caused from dehydration or stress. Yes, I began both meds at the same time. You're right, the klonopin has a lot to do with the quick relief. I hope Lexapro works out, I won't really know until 6 weeks, but so far so good. I am getting a little worried though because some people on here are saying they had hair loss from Lexapro. Anyone know if this is a common side effect?
__________________
Sara2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
Good, sometimes headaches are caused from dehydration or stress. Yes, I began both meds at the same time. You're right, the klonopin has a lot to do with the quick relief. I hope Lexapro works out, I won't really know until 6 weeks, but so far so good. I am getting a little worried though because some people on here are saying they had hair loss from Lexapro. Anyone know if this is a common side effect?
I hope it's not a common side effect. How are you? Is the combo of the two still helping your SA? I am almost to week 5 on Lexapro. I don't feel relief from my SA. All I want to do is sleep.
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
basuraeuropea's Avatar
 
Status: avui, no demŗ
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: de luz, temecula, ca / llanÁŗ, catalunya, esp
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 3,116



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
I am getting a little worried though because some people on here are saying they had hair loss from Lexapro. Anyone know if this is a common side effect?
i don't think it's common, although it seems to be, at least via online anecdotes, more common than with some of the other ssris available.
__________________
'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
basuraeuropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 213



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxioustocalm View Post
I hope it's not a common side effect. How are you? Is the combo of the two still helping your SA? I am almost to week 5 on Lexapro. I don't feel feel relief from my SA. All I want to do is sleep.
Yes, I actually think it's helping somewhat. I'm not reacting in my normal panic mode in some situations I normally would (like driving or standing in line at a store, or short conversations). Don't forget I'm also on Klonopin too, so that could be an extra help. Do you take Klonopin in conjunction with Lexapro? Yes, I'm very tired most of the time and I have NO sexual desire at all. These side effects are better to me than anxiety anyday though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
i don't think it's common, although it seems to be, at least via online anecdotes, more common than with some of the other ssris available.
I also take Spironolactone (75mg) which is prescribed for hormonal acne and hair loss, so it might counteract the effects of hair loss. I haven't noticed any hair loss yet. I read Lexapro is an SSRI with the least side effects, not sure just yet.
__________________
Sara2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
basuraeuropea's Avatar
 
Status: avui, no demŗ
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: de luz, temecula, ca / llanÁŗ, catalunya, esp
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 3,116



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
I also take Spironolactone (75mg) which is prescribed for hormonal acne and hair loss, so it might counteract the effects of hair loss. I haven't noticed any hair loss yet. I read Lexapro is an SSRI with the least side effects, not sure just yet.
hope it works out for you!
__________________
'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
basuraeuropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 44



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
Yes, I actually think it's helping somewhat. I'm not reacting in my normal panic mode in some situations I normally would (like driving or standing in line at a store, or short conversations). Don't forget I'm also on Klonopin too, so that could be an extra help. Do you take Klonopin in conjunction with Lexapro? Yes, I'm very tired most of the time and I have NO sexual desire at all. These side effects are better to me than anxiety anyday though.



I also take Spironolactone (75mg) which is prescribed for hormonal acne and hair loss, so it might counteract the effects of hair loss. I haven't noticed any hair loss yet. I read Lexapro is an SSRI with the least side effects, not sure just yet.
I am not on Klonopin. I would like to add it, but I don't think I could handle being anymore drowsy.
anxioustocalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paxil vs. Lexapro for SA? 10PercentExtra Medication 22 12-13-2009 12:26 AM
Lexapro to Paxil pupper Medication 3 06-24-2008 06:45 PM
Lexapro VS Paxil tednugent2007 Medication 17 05-19-2008 03:31 AM
Lexapro > Paxil ? jakejohnson007 Medication 14 04-16-2007 11:41 AM
Paxil or Lexapro?? Lepard Medication 16 07-10-2006 12:38 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.