X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Red face lectopam 6 mg

Hi all,

Would love to hear if any are or have been on Lectopam 6 mg for extended use ( in my case well over 10 years - 3 times a day ) ? I have tried slowly to stop this med but my doctor replaces it with anti depressants such as zoloft, paxil etc etc which ALL of these have a negative effect on me. I do not know what to do as I am really starting to feel even more anxious than before. My speech is impaired a bit as well as my balance and the overall sense of enjoying life..I find myself quite depressed and living in a bubble. I can use all the advice that is offered to me... thank you Dee
manicure411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Your doctor shall prescribe you an equivalent dose diazepam (Valium). It has a much longer half-life than bromazepam (Lectopam) and must be very slowly tapered down to zero.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was on Valium 10 when my doctor switched me to Lectopam 6 mg... he said it was less harmful than valium... I keep reading Lectopam should be used for a short period, it is NOT for long term use. I've been on it for over 10 years now while trying meds like zoloft, paxil and many more... none of them have worked well for me. Advice?

thanks Dee
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

You should get off the Lectopam IMHO. The easiest way is that your doctor prescribes you an equivalent dose of diazepam or clonazepam (their blood / brain levels drop much slower than that of bromazepam / Lectopam) and you taper that down very carefully.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
You should get off the Lectopam IMHO. The easiest way is that your doctor prescribes you an equivalent dose of diazepam or clonazepam (their blood / brain levels drop much slower than that of bromazepam / Lectopam) and you taper that down very carefully.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Valium to taper off a shorter-acting benzo relative to using phenobarbital to taper? Or is phenobarb only used to taper off huge benzo doses (like my 10 mg Xanax; currently take about 5 mg).

Quote:
I was on Valium 10 when my doctor switched me to Lectopam 6 mg... he said it was less harmful than valium...
I know zip about bromazepam, seeing how I've never heard of it being used in the US (I'm not even sure if it's sold in the US). Though I gather 6 mg is a relatively modest dose if it's was equivalent to 10 mg of Valium per day that you had been taking before.

Anybody else want to comment on it being "less harmful than Valium"? That comment from a doc strikes me as a biased hold-over from the 1970s when Valium became a household name. Valium is just like any other benzo, but has a bad reputation being a victim of its own popularity. Back in the 1960s & 70s it was handed out to every neurotic housewife and their hubby who was stressed out at work. It earned names like "Mommy's little helper" & "Executive Excedrin" from being handed out like candy (similar to how SSRIs are dispensed so freely today).

Valium is a stigmatized drug, while lesser known benzos lack as severe a stigma. Similar to how OxyContin has extreme stigma while MS-Contin doesn't, mainly because most folks have no idea what the MS stands for: Morphine Sulfate.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Valium to taper off a shorter-acting benzo relative to using phenobarbital to taper? Or is phenobarb only used to taper off huge benzo doses (like my 10 mg Xanax; currently take about 5 mg).
I think for people who have been on (lower doses of) benzos for many years the best way to get off is slowly tapering down with diazepam. This takes much longer than with phenobarbital, but reduces the chance of developing protracted withdrawal syndrome. I like the pheno method when the daily benzo doses were pretty high. It's important to make a gradual change from the benzo to an equivalent dose of phenobarbital. When the benzodiazepine (ab)used has a short or middle long half-life it shall first be substituted with enough diazepam / clonazepam for some days before it's slowly replaced with pheno.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Lectopam 6 mg

Thank you for your replies. I am seeing the doctor in 2 weeks and will ask him to switch me on to using valium 5 or 10 hopefully making these awful symptoms from the Lectopam go away or reduced considerably. PS: Lectopam is not available in the US but if anybody reads up on this med it is extremely difficult and dangerous to stop taking it. I believe Valium is as well but it does seem to have less side effects. I'll keep reading the posts and will keep you updated as well... Dee
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

You will need Valium ~ 10mg x 3.