X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Klonopin - How Long To Kick In & Duration?

I know the answers can vary from person to person, but I'd appreciate general answers to the follow questions. All questions are centered around 0.5 mg dosage of Klonopin (well I'm using generic, if that makes a difference).

How long does it take to kick in, and what is your answer based on? I've read 45 minutes on here awhile back and I'd like to know the authenticity of the claim.

How long does it's effect last? Half-life, duration of effectiveness (hours), etc.

Finally, does the effect decline over time? I can't think of the exact word right now, but for if you take it on a regular basis does it become less effective over time?

Thanks in advance!
StampedeTheVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I take clonazepam (generic) prn, and if I let a .5 tab dissolve under my tongue I can feel it working within half an hour. Generally, it lasts a long time for me, although I have not taken any recently so I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer.
I've heard that tolerance can definitely be a problem with benzodiazepines, in that you need more to get the same effect. Personally though, I can't comment. I use them when I can't shut my mind off, or when I have a socially stressful time coming up, like an interview or a presentation. And then, I usually take 2 tabs. Someone who takes them daily instead of as needed will have a better answer for you re tolerance.
shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Klonnies taken under the tongue take about half an hour to kick in. About 1 hour for full effects.
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't really put a very specific time on when any benzo (and I've tried Klonopin in the past) kicks in. I find the effect of benzos to be so subtle that I simply don't feel them kicking in. It's not like flipping a light switch and now the drug is obviously on.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

In general Benzos orally act very fast (30 minutes to 1 hour). If one has a great tolerance then that's another story.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

For me, I feel the beginning relaxing effects about 20 - 30 minutes. I'm so use to Klonopin that its hard to tell when it really is in full effect. It lasts for like 2 hours for me. Its probably still helping after I don't feel it, I just don't realize it.
ThirdEyeGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

It also depends on stomach content of course, and in combination with alcohol Benzos are absorbed faster (but combining these two substances is not the best idea, at least if it's much alcohol).
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I take 1mg twice a day and it just depends how long it takes to kick in, usually within a half hour to an hour. The half life is aproximately 33 hours depending on the person it might go a couple of hours either way. It stays in your system for awhile! I have been taking it over a year and have not lost any effectiveness from it. It usually lasts at least 8 hours.
jfk1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

30 min under tongue, 1 hour ingested. Xanax is far quicker when you ingest it.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can start feeling the effects after 30-45 minutes with the orally dissolving wafers, but it doesn't peak until 1.5-2 hours after taking it. Duration is around 8 hours.
IllusionalFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
...in combination with alcohol Benzos are absorbed faster (but combining these two substances is not the best idea, at least if it's much alcohol).
Can you provide any link to a source that says benzos are absorbed faster when taken with alcohol?

If one downs their benzos with alcohol I suspect they'll feel relaxed promptly, but then just consuming alcohol alone can make you feel pretty relaxed rather rapidly if you drink enough fast enough.

Certainly two CNS depressants should have more effect than one (an additive effect), but I was not aware that alcohol would have any impact on the speed of benzo absorption.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

http://cienciaforense.com/Pages/Toxi...diazepines.htm
Quote:
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY:

Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS. Benzodiazepines exert their action by potentiating the activity of GABA. They bind to a specific receptor on the GABA A receptor complex, which facilitates the binding of GABA to its specific receptor site. Benzodiazepine binding causes increased frequency of opening of the chloride channel complexed with the GABA A receptor. Chloride channel opening results in membrane hyperpolarization, which inhibits cellular excitation.

Enhanced GABA neurotransmission results in sedation, striated muscle relaxation, anxiolysis, and anticonvulsant effects. Stimulation of peripheral nervous system (PNS) GABA receptors may cause decreased cardiac contractility, vasodilation, and enhanced perfusion.

The rate of benzodiazepine onset of action is determined by rate of benzodiazepine absorption from the GI tract. The relatively lipophilic BZDs usually are absorbed more rapidly and produce a faster onset of effect than the relatively water-soluble BZDs. Benzodiazepine absorption is especially rapid when ethanol is present and the stomach is empty. Peak blood concentrations of most agents occur within 1-3 hours. After a single dose, the lipophilic agents have a shorter duration of action (shorter CNS effect) than water-soluble agents because rapid redistribution from the CNS to peripheral sites (eg, adipose tissue); thus, lorazepam (water soluble) has a longer CNS duration of action than diazepam (lipophilic).

Benzodiazepines are metabolized predominantly in the liver by oxidation and/or conjugation. Most benzodiazepines are broken down into pharmacologically active metabolites, which may have longer half-lives than the parent compounds.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Do you know the solubility of clon in alcohol? You could dissolve it in alcohol and use a dropper bottle for sublingual dosing.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

It's not soluble in water and only slightly soluble in pure ethanol.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Do you have any values (mg/ml)? Even if it's low, I only need to dissolve 0.5-2mg per dose.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ingested, I notice it usually within an hour, slightly faster on an empty stomach. I notice it's strongest effects for about 8 hours and then it slowly tapers down from that to maybe 14 hours total. I take 1mg every night and a 1 mg dose as needed during the day. Your mileage will vary.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

@euphoria: Maybe this thread helps you a little bit: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/i.../t-271879.html
Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks for all the answers guys. I never thought about letting it dissolve under my tongue. I usually tried to prevent that from happening and just gulped it down with some water.

Definitely helpful information, much appreciated!
StampedeTheVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
Do you have any values (mg/ml)? Even if it's low, I only need to dissolve 0.5-2mg per dose.
You're 17 in a nation with a 21-year-old drinking age. Where exactly does someone your age get (nearly -- 95% due to the limits of distillation) pure ethanol such as Everclear?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

Actually I'm from the UK, where the legal drinking age is 18. I can easily get a friend to buy alcohol, or just order it online.