Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By Foh_Teej

Old 04-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Klonopin: Halflife v. Noticable Duration

Klonopin has a half life of 30-40 hours (says wikipedia, but I think that's at least ballpark right, if not exact). Now, I pop a pill and I get a noticeable effect that lasts between 3-6 hours. Even when I pop a high dosage, the duration is about this long. How can the drug have such a long half life and such a short window of noticeable effect?

Klonopin also seems to have a less noticeable, more subliminal calming effect, but even this seems to last about 12 hours at most.
jakejohnson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Klonopin: Halflife v. Noticable Duration

these half life figures make no sense to me, K helps me for about 4 hours max
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Klonopin does 5-6 hours for me.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

the half life of a drug is not how long the effects last but basically how long it takes half of the drug to leave your system. klonopin has a mean half life of 35 hours and it's effects last me about 6-7 hours.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

as far as i understand it "halflife" just refers to the time it takes for one half of the original dose of a medication to leave your body. it has nothing to do with how much or for how long you feel the effect of the drug.

but i could be wrong
Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

oops! LDG you beat me to it!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

how long does Xanax XR last? Or is there any other benzo with a longer window of action than Klonopin?

I wish there was a benzo 'patch' or something that kept you on a steady dose of it at all times, controlled release.
jakejohnson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

a drug's half-life is relative to how long it lasts
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejohnson007
I wish there was a benzo 'patch' or something that kept you on a steady dose of it at all times, controlled release.
this sounds like a money maker, so why not? i'd be curious to try it...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejohnson007
this sounds like a money maker, so why not? i'd be curious to try it...
I wish all my drugs were patches like my fentanyl 72 hour release patch.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 04-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

**** when I take my Klonopin which is 3mg at once, the effects only last for about 2 to 3 hours max. Then its all up to me to try and be my normal self. People even say to me stuff like "i bet you way different at home" and "i'm away from my comfort zone". I pretty much tell them thats pretty much what it is.
ThirdEyeGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

I dont notice any effects at all at the 1mg level but if I take like 3mg at once I will feel calm and anxiety free for about 3-4 hours as well. Im assuming that Klonopin only has subtle effects on the brain for the other 36 hours of halflife time that are unaccounted for.
scotthallkevinnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

I wish Scrotacles (the pharmacy student) was around here. This is the perfect question for him.

I remember him once explaining that eventhough Valium (I'm going with an example he used) has the longest half-life of any benzo it actually leaves the brain quite rapidly compared to what you might expect simply based on half life. The half-life of Valium (and active metabolites) is up to 200 hours. As a former Valium user, I can assure you Valium most certainly doesn't last a week nor even close -- it doesn't even last a day.

Since I'm just a pill popper, I can't explain why half-life and actual duration of effect are often so vastly different.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Wow. When I take .25mg of Klonopin before bed it lasts right into the next day for me. The last time I took it I was a lost zombie the next day at work and couldn't figure out why... my fiance reminded me... by the next day I was ok.

I guess I'm just a sensitive girl.
photogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think half-life is just a way to keep track of a medication's dosing schedule. Back when I was taking zithromax (one of the various antibiotics I tried for acne), I only took it every other day because of its very long half-life.

I think the amount of time it takes for a medication to go through "first pass metabolism" (without any active metabolites, assuming), with respect to its known bioavailability, is the amount of time that a medication is at its most noticably effective level in the body. Taking those factors into consideration makes half-life useless unless you're trying to figure out a proper dosing schedule.

I think, at least

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default drugs never leave your body.....ever

half life refers to the amount of time it takes for half the drug to be eliminated by your body........if you cut something in half it never ever reaches 0......it can get close(ie .000000000000000001 etc) but never fully leaves your body. this doesn't mean your withdrawl symptoms won't go away.....but it is just something to think about before ingesting anything......the saying you are what you eat........well to a certain extent is 100% fact.....nothing you consume ever really leaves you =)
ipayattention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Did you really just resurrect a 5 year old post to pretty much say what was already said?
basuraeuropea likes this.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayattention View Post
the saying you are what you eat........well to a certain extent is 100% fact.....nothing you consume ever really leaves you =)

If you are what you eat, I could be you tomorrow.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote