Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts

Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Klonopin causing depression?

I've been on klonopin and lexapro 10 mg for a while,but I used to take klonopin .5mg PRN and lately I've been taking it every day,only 1 pill .5mg a day but i've been noticing that it's been making me feel down,kind of depressed....and I wonder why? anyone has been feeling the same with klonopin? I have used xanax in the past and never gave me that depressed feeling......weird....any suggestions?
Thank you
Micha
micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you think I should switch to xanax? or increase my lexapro?
Micha
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

talk with your doctor or pharmacist I have been using klonopin for a little over two years and been taking it everday. I read somehwhere that (clonazepam) Klonopin can cause you to feel depressed but a lot of antipsychiatry articles against the use of psych meds in general as a warning to the patient before he or she stops their medication.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd agree that it causes depression. Atleast when you take it every day. You just turn zombified without knowing it. It depends on our tolerance.
ThirdEyeGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

IMO prn use would not cause depression. But, long term constant use probably does, in alot of causes, exacerbate depression. I might change to valium or xanax since ativan didn't work too great for me.

Don't get me wrong, klonopin PRN works for me but valium and xanax hit faster.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanx for your replies...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

It enhances GABA levels which inhibits the binding of other neurotransmitters, including serotonin, so yah it can definitely cause feelings of depression in people. Most any psychotropic med can cause depression in people, you just have to try em out to see what works best for you. Benzos counteract what SSRI's/SNRI's/SNDRI's etc. are trying to do so I would avoid them in combo but you never really know if it will be a good combo for you till you try.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default KurtG85

Thank you for your reply....the thing is that I've been taking this combo for a while,I was on klonopin PRN first and I was fine not until recently when I started taking it daily....what if I increase lexapro ?or maybe decrease klonopin to .25? and let say that this is not the right combo then I should wean off klonopin slowly untill i find another medication?
Thank you
Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

All CNS depressants can cause or worsen depression, according to my first psychiatrist. I never made the connection between the terms "CNS depressant" and "depression" until he told me this because I had always assumed that CNS depressants simply slowed down the body and didn't really have much to do with psychological depression, but apparently continual usage of CNS depressants like benzos can indeed cause or worsen depression. It makes sense given the fact that this increase in depression that you describe seems to have coincided with your increase in Klonopin usage. I'm guessing that it's more than coincidence. I can't tell you how to remedy this because I'm not a medical professional, but either of what you've suggested so far sounds like a reasonable place to start with your doctor.

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

klonopin only causes depression in 15% or less of users
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

I believe other benzos aren't noted for causing depression (xanax for instance.)
shana likes this.
DMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
Thank you for your reply....the thing is that I've been taking this combo for a while,I was on klonopin PRN first and I was fine not until recently when I started taking it daily....what if I increase lexapro ?or maybe decrease klonopin to .25? and let say that this is not the right combo then I should wean off klonopin slowly untill i find another medication?
Thank you
You could do any or all of those things. Personally I like to try each new med I take individually without any other in my system before I start combining. It is much easier to distinguish their individual effects on you that way. It seems you have done this, at least to some extent but it comes down to your judgment on which of the meds and what dosages have the most positive effect on your levels of functioning.

If you find that you really need the help of klonopin on a consistent basis then I would say that a good next step would be to lower the klonopin dosage like you suggested.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default KurtG85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG85 View Post
You could do any or all of those things. Personally I like to try each new med I take individually without any other in my system before I start combining. It is much easier to distinguish their individual effects on you that way. It seems you have done this, at least to some extent but it comes down to your judgment on which of the meds and what dosages have the most positive effect on your levels of functioning.

If you find that you really need the help of klonopin on a consistent basis then I would say that a good next step would be to lower the klonopin dosage like you suggested.
Yes, I will decrease starting tomorrow....I hope it's gonna work.... thanx!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default DMBfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBfan View Post
I believe other benzos aren't noted for causing depression (xanax for instance.)

I have taken xanax as needed and never felt depressed....but my Dr switched me to klonopin saying that it is less addictive....but honestly I prefer xanax to klonopin..!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

You are probably aware of this but don't be surprised if (or when) you feel some amount of very ****ty withdrawal effects coming from a reduction in dosage of your klonopin.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default KurtG85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG85 View Post
You are probably aware of this but don't be surprised if (or when) you feel some amount of very ****ty withdrawal effects coming from a reduction in dosage of your klonopin.
Ohhhhhhhhhh yes ......I am expecting that....but you know what? yesterday was a good day for me with my normal intake of klonopin...isn't it weird??? Well I just woke up feeling great this morning...haven't taken klonopin yet.....what I'm gonna do is to go down from .5 to .4 I know it's hard to get an exact cut but I will try my best to do it..maybe shaving it a little.....not a bad idea right?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
I've been on klonopin and lexapro 10 mg for a while,but I used to take klonopin .5mg PRN and lately I've been taking it every day,only 1 pill .5mg a day but i've been noticing that it's been making me feel down,kind of depressed....and I wonder why? anyone has been feeling the same with klonopin? I have used xanax in the past and never gave me that depressed feeling......weird....any suggestions?
Thank you
Micha
It's quite possible, that the lexapr is causing the depression. depending How long have you been on each. I have had many AD's that made me more depressed, but never had this problem with clonazepam.
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default guitarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
It's quite possible, that the lexapr is causing the depression. depending How long have you been on each. I have had many AD's that made me more depressed, but never had this problem with clonazepam.
Thanx for your reply!!! I have taken lexapro on and off for years,10mg,the first time i've used it was in2003 and it did wonders on me...the second time was like ok...and the third time i've been on it since december...it is helping but not like the first time....maybe I need to increase it to 15 mg ....or switching to a different one...I am seeing my dr tomorrow and will discuss this matter..I must admit I have a wonderful opened minded dr who is willing to help me all the way...he is great...I adore him!!!! Now with the klonopin...I've been on it since 2003 too on and off,I've used it as needed...like maybe 3 times a week....but recently my anxiety got worse and the dr suggested to take it daily.....and I'm not noticing some depression.....so will see what my dr will say tomorrow!!!! thanx!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Klonopin is actually a good mood stabilizer. It's probably the best benzo for people struggling with Bipolar disorder.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

I saw my dr this morning and he recommended to increase lexapro from 10 mg to 15 mg for a while then to 20mg depending how I feel ... and he said to remain on klonopin while doing the transition to avoid excess axiety .... so hopefully this will work....