X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Ketamine is 'magic drug' for depression

A single dose of the drug Ketamine acts like "magic" lifting people out of depression in hours and lasting more than a week, scientists claim.

The drug has traditionally been used as an anaesthetic for animals and, in some cases, humans – but has also established itself as a nightclub favourite in recent years, where it is nicknamed Special K.
But studies have found it can treat depression within hours, even when years of alternative treatments have failed.

And the effects of just one dose can last up to 10 days.
Most antidepressant drugs currently available on prescription need several months or even years to take effect and must be taken everyday.
However, scientists discovered that rats given ketamine stopped displaying symptoms of depressive behaviour within hours of their first fix.
The drug was even shown to restore brain-connections damaged by stress.
A similar study conducted at the Connecticut Mental Health Centre also found 70 per cent of depressed patients who failed to respond to years of treatment on traditional antidepressants improved within hours of receiving a dose of ketamine.
Professor Ronald Duman, at Yale University, discovered that ketamine progresses through the nervous system in a different way to traditional drugs.
It follows a pathway that rapidly forms new synaptic connections between neurons, a process called "synaptogenesis".
Professor Duman hailed the potential of ketamine. He said: "It's like a magic drug — one dose can work rapidly and last for seven to 10 days."
Until now, ketamine's clinical use has been limited by the fact that it has to be injected and can cause hallucinations.
But it only needs to be used in low doses for depression.
George Aghajanian, co-researcher on the study published in the journal Science also warned that the drug needed further analysis and modification before it could be approved for general use.
He said: "The pathway is the story.
"Understanding the mechanism underlying the antidepressant effect of ketamine will allow us to attack the problem at a variety of possible sites within that pathway."
Glenn Garnham, a drug and alcohol counsellor for UK charity Admit voiced concerns over the study's findings.
He said: "Ketamine is a very addictive drug which is normally used on horses. I deal with many people who are addicted to ketamine and it affects their life in the same way as any other addiction does, leading to serious problems with health, money, friends and family.
"It is already very cheap and easy to become addicted to – approving it for medical use might remove some of its stigma and lead more people down the path of addiction."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...epression.html

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

i have only taken ketamine in relatively large recreational doses and rather than having an antidepressant effect, it had me feeling a bit out of it for about 24 hours afterward. has anyone experienced this antidepressant effect with low doses? what kind of dose are they talking about? enough to feel a bit wonky or sub threshold?
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipe For Disaster View Post
i have only taken ketamine in relatively large recreational doses and rather than having an antidepressant effect, it had me feeling a bit out of it for about 24 hours afterward. has anyone experienced this antidepressant effect with low doses? what kind of dose are they talking about? enough to feel a bit wonky or sub threshold?
Ive been taking amp and other stuff daily the past week and everytime i get tolerant the effects are like reversed (makes me depressed instead of talkative, even with memantine but the proces takes A LOT longer) ive just done a tiny bump of ketamine and it turned everything around, my drugs kicked in and i feel happy.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymouse View Post
oh god be careful with this.

it is godly but only in harbour.

i'm too drunk/censored by another to say more.

careful.
Well, yeah it shouldnt be abused, i just take a really small bump once and awhile, a gram lasts me forever.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wait so you need to inject it? I still have some needles lying around and used to give myself allergy shots, but still 0_0.
Under17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Until now, ketamine's clinical use has been limited by the fact that it has to be injected and can cause hallucinations.
But it only needs to be used in low doses for depression.
I think this means they now discovered low oral doses work too, as they say "until now", not sure tough, will need to get the full text.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ah, okay. I guess this ties in with the thread I read the other day on here about anesthesia getting rid of people's SA for awhile. I think there's a user on here that was addicted to ketamine though, so I feel kind of bad for talking about it but people get addicted to benzos too.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ppl can get addicted on many substances, that shouldnt stop us from discussing the possible benefits.

I noticed i was SA free after being put into anesthesia but ket never does this, so thats something differend.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've noticed you can buy ketamine on alibaba but im not sure how trustworthy it would be or how likely it would be to get past customs
nork123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
Glenn Garnham, a drug and alcohol counsellor for UK charity Admit voiced concerns over the study's findings.
He said: "Ketamine is a very addictive drug which is normally used on horses. I deal with many people who are addicted to ketamine and it affects their life in the same way as any other addiction does, leading to serious problems with health, money, friends and family.
"It is already very cheap and easy to become addicted to – approving it for medical use might remove some of its stigma and lead more people down the path of addiction."
Oh dear. A depression drug may be addictive? Certainly hasn't happened before, has it? From Paxil to Xanax to Effexor, current drugs're perfectly safe and not addictive at all right?

I would like this ******* to suffer heavy depression for say, two solid weeks, then see if he reevaluates his stance on depression vs addiction a little.
VagueResemblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

From what I understand its horse tranquilizer. Wheee!!!!! LOL

I think illict drugs like Ketamine should be discussed on a drug forum, not on this forum. I mean, why not just snort coke, daily? That has an anti depressant effect too!!

I'm not judging btw, i had an experimental phase a couple years ago, but i think if you want a LONGTERM cure for social anxiety (and depression) it doesn't make sense to take these addictive and harmful drugs.

Cheers,
peaceandlove09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric69 View Post
From what I understand its horse tranquilizer. Wheee!!!!! LOL

I think illict drugs like Ketamine should be discussed on a drug forum, not on this forum. I mean, why not just snort coke, daily? That has an anti depressant effect too!!

I'm not judging btw, i had an experimental phase a couple years ago, but i think if you want a LONGTERM cure for social anxiety (and depression) it doesn't make sense to take these addictive and harmful drugs.

Cheers,
What discuss the antidepressant potential of a drug on a forum where ppl want to get high? No my friend you are wrong.

Every substance that has therapeutic potential should be discussed here.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
What discuss the antidepressant potential of a drug on a forum where ppl want to get high? No my friend you are wrong.

Every substance that has therapeutic potential should be discussed here.
It just concerns me a little bit.

It's a fine line between a drug for depression and a drug to get high. The lines are very blurry. Especially with drugs that are addictive.

Cheers,
peaceandlove09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

It's a fine line between a drug for depression and a drug to get high. The lines are very blurry. Especially with drugs that are addictive.

Cheers,
Addiction concerns have pushed ppl in severe depression (for example withdrawing amineptine because it had abuse potential, everyone that was taking it was pushed back into depression).

All possible options need to be discussed, if there wasnt something as treatment resistance you would have a point, but thats not the case.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Cheers,
True but drugs with tremendous recreational and addictive potential are used constantly to treat physical symptoms - so why not here?

Denying them sounds like either minimizing the effects and pain of depression, which is enough to kill people now and then via suicide, or sheer hypocrisy.
VagueResemblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well if it really does work for 7-10 days consistently I could see myself in the far distant future utopia going to the doctor's office and getting my weekly ketamine shot just like I do for allergies XD. Wouldn't have to worry about abuse or overdose and the place wouldn't fill up with drug addicts because such a small dose would be pointless for recreation.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would like to see a low dosage pill, but our DEA will be sure to stomp on it regardless of it's potential. If it can get you high you can be sure our FDA and DEA will block approval.

Funny thing is that it's easy to get prescribed Xanax and for non-tolerant people just 1Mg Xanax can get you nice and uporic and high. I agree that when it comes to severe resistant depression and anxiety all stones must be turned over and approved.

Like the one guy said, "I would like to see these *******s suffer one day in my hell and then say no we can't make that avalible. "From the mouths of non-sufferers only comes such indifference."
hensley258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

where can I get some

beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaches09 View Post
where can I get some
I would also like to get some, but I don't like needles so that counts me out.
hensley258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

I hear that. If it works a charm though I'll stick a needle in me once a week.

beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote