X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just Got Nardil (What Can I Eat)

My doctor prescribed me Nardil today and knows very little about the diet restrictions, he gave it to me trusting that I would do the homework pretty much.

I see a lot of lists saying what one cannot eat, but I want to know what I can eat. From what I've read, dairy, soy, meat, and fish are completely out of the picture. Even some fruits are not safe it seems. I'm really lost as to what I can eat anymore.

Please reccomend meals, foods, and whatnot that are safe to eat.

I'm going grocery shopping tonight and these are the only foods I have confidence in buying, let me know if these are ok too:

*Grapes
*Apples
*Spinach
*Tomatoes
*Tortillas
*Oil & Vinegar Dressing
*Rice
*Noodles
colonelpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Just Got Nardil (What Can I Eat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpoop
My doctor prescribed me Nardil today and knows very little about the diet restrictions, he gave it to me trusting that I would do the homework pretty much.

I see a lot of lists saying what one cannot eat, but I want to know what I can eat. From what I've read, dairy, soy, meat, and fish are completely out of the picture. Even some fruits are not safe it seems. I'm really lost as to what I can eat anymore.

Please reccomend meals, foods, and whatnot that are safe to eat.

I'm going grocery shopping tonight and these are the only foods I have confidence in buying, let me know if these are ok too:

*Grapes
*Apples
*Spinach
*Tomatoes
*Tortillas
*Oil & Vinegar Dressing
*Rice
*Noodles
Your doctor SHOULD NOT be prescribing medication he's not familiar with! Meat is fine as long as it's not aged, as is fish, poultry, and milk. You should probably stay away from soy, although I never had any problems with soy while on parnate.

You can eat most things, except aged cheeses, certain beans, and other things known to contain high amounts of tyramine. The MAOI diet isn't nearly as restrictive as one might think.

Here's a helpful list http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/maoi.html#avoid
incubusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nae

Get a new doctor.
Nae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae
Get a new doctor.
I hear where your coming from, but getting a script for Nardil is very difficult, I'm not going to blow this opportunity.

I know we have some Nardil users on here, I'd love to hear what you guys eat most days.
colonelpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

The diet is definitely not as restrictive as you might think. I was on parnate for several years, and consumed a lot of the stuff on the "do not eat" list. I drank red wine, beer, most cheeses, soy (protein powder, not anything fermented), chocolate, etc. The only time I had trouble was one Christmas when I decided to try out some VERY aged blue cheese and some aged meat and beer all in oneday, and ended up with the worst headache of my life. I admit..it was a moment of complete stupidity! I thought I was going to die. I went to the ER, but they had never heard of MAOI hypertensive crises. Plus, by the time they got me in to see the doctor, my blood pressure was almost normal. They just sent me on my way, and charged me several thousand dollars. So, definitely avoid aged meats/cheeses at least at one time!

Good luck!

PS: the foods on your shopping list are all fine
SBP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Nae

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae
Get a new doctor.
I hear where your coming from, but getting a script for Nardil is very difficult, I'm not going to blow this opportunity.

I know we have some Nardil users on here, I'd love to hear what you guys eat most days.

Well, incubusfan's link is a good place to start, in fact that is the list my doctor printed out for me when I was rx'd parnate. I know parnate is different from nardil (I think it is nardil which supposedly has a bigger leniency window when eating foods that contain tyramine...), but my experience was that there weren't a lot of foods I could not eat. Everyone's chemistry is different, so its important to take it slow when trying something new that there is reason to be cautious about.

Here's another post containing some updated info about the maoi diet:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20010804/msgs/73614.html
Nae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Youre damn lucky you got nardil if nothing has worked for you yet. Most doctors *don't* know too much about it (but should look it up)... but because of their ignorance won't prescribe it.

I recently found out that I can eat at least a slice of aged cheddar on it with no complications. I reacted badly to a fresh sausage, I think it had been thawed for too long then frozen by the company, damn cheapos.

Basically you are free to consume any meat and dairy products, yogurt should be okay as long as it is *fresh* and check the expiration date on any non-milk dairy. All fruits and vegetables are fine except certain exotic kinds of spinach and beans (I believe it is new zealand prickly spinach and fava bean pods that are culprits - two things I've never eaten anyway). Aged cheese is supposed to be avoided most stringently, however as I said I've been eating single slices of 4-cheese pizza and cheddar without any problems.

Also aged/cured meat is supposed to be verboten. I haven't tested it yet, but this includes pepperoni and genoa salami. Ham, turkey, corned beef, including their luncheon meat forms, are all fine. Also, bacon is A-Okay.

And feel free to eat small amounts of forbidden foods once you get used to the pills for a month or so. The blood pressure changes correspond to the amount of tyramine ingested. Perhaps if I ate a brick of parmesan cheese I'd be in trouble, but as it stands sprinkling it on pasta doesn't affect me.
aries is offline   Reply With Quote