I've called 2different pharmacies and can't get a straight answer. Please help. - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 04-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I've called 2different pharmacies and can't get a straight answer. Please help.

My doctor prescribed me 2mg/Ativan to take nightly. I got my first prescription last month on the 14'th. The bottle says "refill 2x by 9/12/11".

I called my pharmacy last week (walmart) to see when I could get a refill, and they said the 10'th, but to make sure that I call in early. So I called in today as she said "you have to wait until the 14'th". I told her the last person I talked to said I could get it refilled on the 10'th. She said "its usually a month after your last refill". Usually? WTF? I asked her for a date and she said she could not give me one as it wasn't in her computer.

So I called CVS. They couldn't give me an answer either. They just told me that it's "too soon" and that I had to wait. They wouldn't give me any other info because I don't fill there.

I've read 26 days, 28 days, 30 days, same date as last month etc etc.

Can anyone provide an answer? I just want to know when I can get a refill. I live in Florida if it makes any difference.
wr17h3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Filling a prescription early is ALWAYS left up to an individual pharmacist's discretion who is filling your script. Sometimes one pharmacist may let you fill early while another may not.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
Filling a prescription early is ALWAYS left up to an individual pharmacist's discretion who is filling your script. Sometimes one pharmacist may let you fill early while another may not.
What is "early"?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I used to work as a pharmacy tech. What's going on is that certain medications have limits on how many you can have per month depending on your dosage. Especially for anxiety meds and sedatives because people have been known to OD, etc. Pharmacists usually limit you to a 30 day supply and then allow you to refill. Also, it's also your insurance if you have any, which limits when you can refill. If they gave you a 30 day supply then you'd have to wait a month before refilling, although some insurances give you a couple days' leeway. Otherwise they refuse to cover an early refill.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr17h3 View Post
My doctor prescribed me 2mg/Ativan to take nightly. I got my first prescription last month on the 14'th. The bottle says "refill 2x by 9/12/11".

I called my pharmacy last week (walmart) to see when I could get a refill, and they said the 10'th, but to make sure that I call in early. So I called in today as she said "you have to wait until the 14'th". I told her the last person I talked to said I could get it refilled on the 10'th. She said "its usually a month after your last refill". Usually? WTF? I asked her for a date and she said she could not give me one as it wasn't in her computer.

So I called CVS. They couldn't give me an answer either. They just told me that it's "too soon" and that I had to wait. They wouldn't give me any other info because I don't fill there.

I've read 26 days, 28 days, 30 days, same date as last month etc etc.

Can anyone provide an answer? I just want to know when I can get a refill. I live in Florida if it makes any difference.
If you pay for it out of pocket, without running it through your insurance it might be accepted. Definitely try that.

I really hope you do get this filled, benzo withdrawl is probably the worst, the worst psych med to come off of abruptly. The worst!
DankBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey! You can always have your doctors office call the pharmacy, giving them the green light to fill it. They will push it through if they get a phone call from your doctors office. Insurance might not cover it if its early but it beats benzo withdrawl!!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
Not with a controlled med like Ativan though I would bet.

If the pharmacist had power to decide how often a person should take a certain medication, that would make him a doctor.

WELL... now one sec, I do remember getting a script for my Klonopin filled twice in one week. I just payed out of pocket. Plus the person filling it was around my age and we knew each other from school.

Ehhhh... If you are right, that is amazing! I havent exploited that yet!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankBliss View Post
If you pay for it out of pocket, without running it through your insurance it might be accepted. Definitely try that.

I really hope you do get this filled, benzo withdrawl is probably the worst, the worst psych med to come off of abruptly. The worst!
Nope. "Its too early to get a refill" they tell me. Told them I'd pay cash too.