Is There Any Reason to Take Effexor XR in Combination With Klonopin? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is There Any Reason to Take Effexor XR in Combination With Klonopin?

I was recently prescribed .25mg of Klonopin (2-3 times daily), and 37.5mg of Effexor XR daily. I don't like the idea of taking any SSRI or SNRI, but having set out for a Klonopin Rx I happily took the prescriptions from my psychiatrist and left -- if my willingness to take an SNRI makes him less reluctant to give me a benzo prescription, I'm not going to risk telling him how I think Effexor will do **** for my SA and that my serotonin levels are perfectly fine.

I will not be taking the Klonopin daily, it is not worth building a tolerance quickly and thus rendering the medication ineffective. Good thing my psychiatrist feels differently, as this gives me a total of 45mg of Klonopin to work with until I can find what dose gives me the best results. I will start with .25mg, raising my dose in .25mg increments if necessary until peak effectiveness is reached (although not ever going above 1-1.5mg unless advised, or if tolerance is built).

My question is, should I try out the Klonopin and not even touch the Effexor XR if I've found the solution to my SA? I can't see how this could hurt, but it'd be nice to hear an opinion from someone other than a biased, SRI-pushing psychotherapist for a change.
IllusionalFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd recommend discussing exactly what you posted here with your psychiatrist.

But I'll share my experience. I currently take Effexor and Klonopin together and the combination has been worked great for me. A single dose of Effexor in the morning and a single dose of Klonopin at night daily and PRN during the day.

But again everyone is different and it's something you should discuss directly with your psych.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would just take the Klonopin and not touch the Effexor. Effexor is the hardest thing I have even gotten off of and did nothing for my SA.
jdlex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

If the klonopin is working for you, I can't see any good reason to get into the side-effexor. But I agree with Drew--discuss it with your pdoc first. If he insists that you take an SNRI or SSRI, maybe he could prescribe something instead of the effexor.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote