Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree4 Liked Posts

Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it safe to take Klonopin with Zoloft?

The Zoloft I'm taking is giving me insane anxiety. I'm thinking about taking some Klonopin to calm me down. My new p-doc was militant anti-benzo, telling me I could end up in a rehab center or whatever. So I didn't tell her that I still have hundreds of pills saved up. Will I get any bad reaction if I take it with Zoloft?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
The Zoloft I'm taking is giving me insane anxiety. I'm thinking about taking some Klonopin to calm me down. My new p-doc was militant anti-benzo, telling me I could end up in a rehab center or whatever. So I didn't tell her that I still have hundreds of pills saved up. Will I get any bad reaction if I take it with Zoloft?
I just saw a psychiatrist today and he told me Zoloft can be "stimulating", basically cause more anxiety. He prescribed me Lexapro and Klonopin. You should tell her Zoloft is giving you anxiety. I don't know what reaction you would get by mixing both meds, but get off the Zoloft if it is making you feel that way. Try something different.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
I just saw a psychiatrist today and he told me Zoloft can be "stimulating", basically cause more anxiety. He prescribed me Lexapro and Klonopin. You should tell her Zoloft is giving you anxiety. I don't know what reaction you would get by mixing both meds, but get off the Zoloft if it is making you feel that way. Try something different.
It just doesn't make sense. Zoloft is approved by the FDA to treat social anxiety, panic disorder, etc... I guess they forgot to mention that it's designed to make it worse.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

get rid of muir. totally safe to take a benzo alongside an ssri.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the world of meds, the "trial and error factor". I took Paxil and Prozac and they didn't help my anxiety AT ALL. Prozac made me worse. I hope this med helps, but if it doesn't, I will just have to try something different. Blahhh :-(
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

it is safe to take klonopin and zoloft.

you can always go here to check for drug interactions if you're concerned http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, it's safe, I'm currently taking those 2 drugs together. (Zoloft and Klonopin)

-Charles Baudelaire
shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
It just doesn't make sense. Zoloft is approved by the FDA to treat social anxiety, panic disorder, etc... I guess they forgot to mention that it's designed to make it worse.
The way you said that made me laugh.

My doctor didn't want to put me on benzos either
SoWrongItsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameislacie View Post
The way you said that made me laugh.

My doctor didn't want to put me on benzos either
I decided to stay on Zoloft to try and wait out the side effects ( my doctor said it should go away after a while). I just take about 0.5mg of Klonopin with it to ward off the panic that comes about 2 hours after I take Zoloft.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I decided to stay on Zoloft to try and wait out the side effects ( my doctor said it should go away after a while). I just take about 0.5mg of Klonopin with it to ward off the panic that comes about 2 hours after I take Zoloft.
It usually takes a couple of weeks to get used to medicines of that sort. Hope it works out for you. I'm currently waiting to see if my new meds are gonna help. I had to ask for paint at Walmart the other day and was kind of nervous because it was a male. I just wanted to walk away but I had to get it. Most people don't think twice about asking for paint lmao
Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameislacie View Post
It usually takes a couple of weeks to get used to medicines of that sort. Hope it works out for you. I'm currently waiting to see if my new meds are gonna help. I had to ask for paint at Walmart the other day and was kind of nervous because it was a male. I just wanted to walk away but I had to get it. Most people don't think twice about asking for paint lmao
Yeah I hate asking people at stores to get something for me, because I feel all awkward while I'm standing there waiting. I also loath Walmart, that store gives me the worst anxiety and I don't even know why. It might have to do with the fact that they have a shelf loaded with shotgun ammo right next to the toy section . It's good that you didn't walk away though, because that could have turned out to be a really awkward situation, especially if he followed after you saying "Miss, aren't you forgetting something?" Well I hope that new med works for you, Effexor right?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah I hate asking people at stores to get something for me, because I feel all awkward while I'm standing there waiting. I also loath Walmart, that store gives me the worst anxiety and I don't even know why. It might have to do with the fact that they have a shelf loaded with shotgun ammo right next to the toy section . It's good that you didn't walk away though, because that could have turned out to be a really awkward situation, especially if he followed after you saying "Miss, aren't you forgetting something?" Well I hope that new med works for you, Effexor right?
Lmao I never thought about the toys being beside the guns. Thats how this one is set up. That is quite strange. He was nice to me so it was okay after awhile. I just pretended to look at something else while waiting. Effexor and lexapro together which I don't know why they have me on two antidepressants
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

if you have a psychiatrist that won't prescribe you benzos... you should get a new one.
kaydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydie View Post
if you have a psychiatrist that won't prescribe you benzos... you should get a new one.
that's what i did! previous psychiatrist was an idiot.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydie View Post
Good point, I would...
Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yes, you can safely mix any benzo with any SSRI. In fact it's done so with great frequency.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara2012 View Post
I just saw a psychiatrist today and he told me Zoloft can be "stimulating", basically cause more anxiety. He prescribed me Lexapro and Klonopin.
Zoloft isn't known for being particularly stimulating. For most patients it's quite neutral. One interesting thing I recall from reading the whole FDA label for Zoloft was that their clinical trials showed that it causes both insomnia & drowsiness; two polar opposite effects in different patient all taking the same med. In both cases the incidence of drowsiness & insomnia was twice that of the placebo control group. This would be a perfect illustration of how meds can work totally different for different people.

I took Zoloft for 3 months years ago, going up to 300 mg/day. I didn't notice any stimulation at all, but now drowsiness either. I stopped after 3 months as it clearly didn't help me. The only thing it did was totally kill sex drive, making it worse than taking nothing. At least nothing, while doing nothing to help, doesn't cause sexual side effects.

Quote:
My new p-doc was militant anti-benzo, telling me I could end up in a rehab center.
Sure you could end up in a rehab center. You could also be run over by a bus on the way to see this doc. Many things could happen, though aren't at all likely. The fact that you have hundreds of pills saved up (just as I do) is a clear indication to me that you're not some junkie. Junkies don't have a stockpile as they consumed 'em all ASAP.

Wouldn't you just love to ask this doc that if they hate benzos what pills do that have up their sleeve that more efficacious? In 2012 using an anti-anxiety drug to treat anxiety is deemed wild & crazy. Today we like to use ADs & anti-psychotics to treat anxiety.

I'd love to see pdocs forced to actually try the meds they push on their patients. I once had a doctor say to me "you've got bigger problems" when I complained of the sexual side effects of some AD that didn't even work anyhow. My thought: yeah, it appears the problem weights about 170 pounds & is an arrogant jerk who doesn't given a damn what his patients think. He didn't seem to comprehend that when it comes to mental illness the patient himself pretty much defines if something is a problem or not. Basically, something is a mental problem if it causes the patient distress or interferes with their ability to function so sure seems like problems are patient-defined and one should thus listen to the patient define the problem. The only exception would be something like antisocial personality disorder where some psychopath kills folks and feels no distress about it whatsoever.
basuraeuropea likes this.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Zoloft isn't known for being particularly stimulating. For most patients it's quite neutral.
i agree with most all in your post, and thus i "liked" it. that said, zoloft is known for being one of the most activating ssris on the market, ostensibly due to its low dopaminergic activity and sigma1 antagonistic activity. the other ssri with marked activating effects is prozac.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Zoloft isn't known for being particularly stimulating.

That's what my psychiatrist of 30+ years experience said.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Zoloft isn't known for being particularly stimulating.
Zoloft is causing me noticeably more anxiety. But at the same time it makes me feel less socially inhibited.