X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hydroxyzine for anxiety...

Hi folks!

I finally went back to the doctor this week to try to get back on my meds. This is a new doctor, as my previous one retired, and since I haven't been on any meds in 3 years, (denial) I figured I would find a new doctor.

I'm starting back on Lamictal, so we shall see if works again.

Long story short, she gave me Hydroxyzine for anxiety. The first night I took it I was out like a light. It works I think, but not 100%. Right now I'm on day 3 and have taken x2 25mg tablets broken into fourths throughout the day to avoid falling asleep at work.

I really prefer something like Klonopin, etc. and being that I over-analyze every thing, I feel like she doesn't really take me seriously or want to give me something that truly helps. What do you guys think? I know this med is primarily an anti-hystamine and non habit forming, so maybe that's why she gave it to me, but I sort of had to beat it out of her to prescribe me anything for anxiety. Am I reading too much into it? I just have a trial of 14 pills and she told me to let her know if it works or not...
obxshre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Uh if you want to wake up suffocating go ahead
That pill is dangerous

No one is judging you its your imagination

Before you kill yoursself at least try something socially hard to see if it works for you and youll be surprised.

Nothing ventured nothing gained
Hermiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermiter View Post
Uh if you want to wake up suffocating go ahead
That pill is dangerous
What are you even talking about?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxshre View Post
What are you even talking about?
I was on that pill and woke up my lungs werent working

Before you kill yoursself at least try something socially hard to see if it works for you and youll be surprised.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh jeez. That is scary. How much were you taking and how long were you on it? I definitely don't want that to happen to me.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I cant remember honestly, it wasnt a ridiculous dose though

Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll be conscious of any weird side effects. (no pun intended)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxshre View Post
I really prefer something like Klonopin, etc. and being that I over-analyze every thing, I feel like she doesn't really take me seriously or want to give me something that truly helps.
Have you taken Klonopin in the past & did it work? If so, did you tell her this? If you told her this and she didn't give it to you then she sounds like a benzo-phobe.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

OP, I just tried taking this myself, over the last several weeks. I tried 25mg (all at once) and it had no effect on me at all. I kept upping the dose until I was taking 125 mg, all at once. It had no effect on me, at all, except to make me a little dizzy and sleepy. My anxiety was still there though lol. I told my pdoc today and he tried giving me Gabapentin and changed my SSRI antidepressant to Zoloft, so hopefully that will work.

I'm usually hesitant to speak up to my doc (I hardly talk at all anyway, to anyone). But you should tell her you want to try the Klonopin, if that's what you really want. It's you that has to live with the med you're taking, not her, so don't be afraid to ask. Unless you think the Hydrox seems to do the trick for you.

Your girlfriend's silence might be her loudest scream.

If you still have more dreams than regrets, congratulations. You haven't gotten old yet.

Spend every moment like it's your last. Hug her, kiss her, hold her, like it's the last time that you ever will. Because it might be.
TenYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

TenYears and Ultrashy -

I guess I feel like those benzos are abused by people and if I outright ask for it, then she's going to think I'm planning on abusing them or something. Maybe I will just tell her next week that this one isn't working for me, and see if she offers me anything....she seems to think the Lamictal I'm on will cure the anxiety as well, but I know from past experience it won't. I need something more solid, and something I can take in severe panic situations.

But those thoughts are just me and how I over analyze everything. She might not be thinking that at all.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Your doctor is probably afraid of prescribing you a "benzo" and your body becoming reliant on it, especially if you are young. So many people abuse them now a days, doctors have to be very careful on who they can trust with a controlled medication.

Hydroxyzine is actually great for anxiety. Are you on hydroxyzine hcl or hydroxyzine pamoate? The one with pamoate in it is more for anxiety, while the other can be used for allergies and slight anxiety. If you aren't on the pamoate, I suggest asking her if you can try that. When that doesn't work (assuming it doesn't), tell her you had a doctor give you clonazepam (Klonopin). Tell her the exact dose, and tell her you only took it when needed, not on a consistent schedule. You do NOT want to be addicted to this stuff. It really is an as needed drug. Mention that you don't want addiction, but you do want help when things are really hard. Hope this helps.
ďThe way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.Ē
ó The Doctor
littlelulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Was worthless for me, didn't add anything positive. Couldn't even sleep on it.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
That sounds... Really unusual. So you were rushed to the ER I take it?

Papa's little helpers: Parnate 90 mg, Adderall 30 mg, Lamictal 300 mg, Xanax prn
Caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
That sounds... Really unusual. So you were rushed to the ER I take it?
No i snapped out of it after a minute

Old 03-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelulu View Post
Your doctor is probably afraid of prescribing you a "benzo" and your body becoming reliant on it, especially if you are young. So many people abuse them now a days, doctors have to be very careful on who they can trust with a controlled medication.

Hydroxyzine is actually great for anxiety. Are you on hydroxyzine hcl or hydroxyzine pamoate? The one with pamoate in it is more for anxiety, while the other can be used for allergies and slight anxiety. If you aren't on the pamoate, I suggest asking her if you can try that. When that doesn't work (assuming it doesn't), tell her you had a doctor give you clonazepam (Klonopin). Tell her the exact dose, and tell her you only took it when needed, not on a consistent schedule. You do NOT want to be addicted to this stuff. It really is an as needed drug. Mention that you don't want addiction, but you do want help when things are really hard. Hope this helps.
I am on the HCL. It works but the tiredness and extremely vivid and constant dreams are not worth it for me. I also have to take it about 4 times a day to stay in my system. I'm going to call my doctor next week and let her know all this and see if she can give me something else.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad
Old 03-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Well that was dramatic. I thought you had lung failure or something.

OP tell the doc about meds that worked for you before. They almost always prescribe them if they're not dicks.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneliness View Post
Quote:
Well that was dramatic. I thought you had lung failure or something.

OP tell the doc about meds that worked for you before. They almost always prescribe them if they're not dicks.
The only problem is I took Klknopin off a friend so was never prescribed it. The only thing I have been prescribed by my old doc for anxiety was Busiprone an I had to stop taking it after several weeks because it made me jittery on the inside.

So there is that. I only have 6 pills left so I will need to call her soon but social anxiety is getting the best of me and I don't know what to say. My thought is that the meds work but side effects aren't worth it, is there something else I can take? I hope she doesn't tell me to keep taking the Lamictal and see where that goes. It works for my moods but not anxiety.

Thanks for listening everyone and for your advice and support.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad
Old 03-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

hydroxozine is the biggest joke since buspar.

but if it works for you..awesome.

didnt do a thing for me. good or bad.

Medications:
Klonopin 6mg and Cymbalta 60mg.

"I'm not saying I'm going to change the world, but I guarantee I will spark the brain
that will change the world."
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

I tried it when I was finding the right medication to combat my anxiety. It works for some, but not for others. It worked for me, however, it made me too drowsy. So, I spoke to my doctor and we found something more suitable.

If it works, then great. But make sure to keep your doctor reasonably informed.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind. -Dr. Seuss.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. -Oscar Wilde
mellowyellow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Yeah it's useless.

I don't know anyone it works for unless it's a placebo.

wrongnumber is offline   Reply With Quote