Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By CoolRanch

Old 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question How To Get Doc To Prescribe A Benzo For Anxiety?

What is a good way to get your doctor to prescribe you a benzo for anxiety/panic issues as needed? I take paxil but it has not helped my bouts with panic and my anxiety has actually gotten worse in some respects.

I do not get why docs are so into ssri's, for anxiety. I do NOT have depression at all. I simply have anxiety/panic issues & issues with crowds & people which cause my anxiety.

Yeah I get that benzos can be addictive, and tolerance builds for them, but I do not have an addictive personality at all. So why would docs not simply prescribe low-dose Xanax or Ativan? Maybe since I am taking Paxil now I could tell my doc my anxiety is not improving in many cases, and ask for a benzo?

How is the best way to get my doc to give me a benzo, because I really do not like ssri's and my sex drive has gone to hell which I hate.
AlexP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

When you plead your case, make sure you tell them that you understand the dangers of benzos, and that you'll be careful with it. This is, of course, assuming you DO understand the dangers, and WILL be careful.

If your doc doesnt budge after one or two inquiries, then you might have to go to another doc. Of course, there might be some suspicion, since you get a new doc and suddenly you're like "can i have benzos." But, again, get it across to him/her that you know the pitfalls.
jonsie150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default i have the same problem

Im not sure what it is ive never been addicted to anything I dont smoke or drink or do drugs. Yet when i ask for anything that might be mildly addictive I get turned down flat. Different docs, different countries. I think nuatic people just cuase docs to not trust us. I'm going to the black market to treat my anxiety. ironic, aint it?

"
I think a lot of people with severe social anxiety end up being abstinent anyways. So if abstinence were the answer then social anxiety should be self curing disease." - istayhome
mzmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've never had to "plead my case," and I would advise against it. I just had anxiety for which benzos were indicated. SSRI's did not treat my anxiety (in fact they only made it worse) So I refused SSRI's. I was prescribed benzos. It's that simple. If you have anxiety and NEED benzos you can get them prescribed today. If SSRI's don't help you an a stupid doctor keeps prescribing a different one to you saying that it will, refuse. Just stop that cycle, don't be another idiot. See another doctor if you have already established yourself as a bind idiot to your current one. Good luck.

-Clay
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tell them you need to fly on a plane and you have major anxiety. They will prescribe you something, but a DR is never going to give you very many of these pills unless your diagnosed with some major panic disorder.

I went to my regular DR 4 months ago and was prescribed 15 .5 mg of Ativan.
To be honest, they just make you tired. It's a lot easier to just get rid of your panic attacks on your own by saying positive things like:

"I'm not going to die, I'm just anxious."

"My left side of my body is numb, I'm just really anxious. I've got to take deep breaths"

Deep breathing is the best to calm me down.

When you get stressed out something else you can do is slowly relax your muscles. If you're standing up, just relax your shoulders and arms and take a deep breath. You'll eventually do this every time you're stressed out.

The reason your DR prescribed you the SSRI's are simply because they do help with anxiety. It's not just depression. I know for a fact that when you're on anti-depressants things are a bit easier to handle. Not because they change who you are, but because they get rid of some of the physical symptoms you might be having.

Maybe you should try a different class of anti-depressant. Don't go straight into ativan because you're Dr won't give you very many anyways.
Cyrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's ridiculous that they will prescribe Xanax to somebody who is going on an airplane trip but not somebody who suffers from a real disorder. Tell him you aren't interested in taking them everyday, you just want to have some on hand to stop a panic attack. You would probably be less likely to suffer an attack if you knew you had the antidote in your pocket. Your mileage will vary depending on your doc. I'm lookin for a new doc atm because they refuse to budge on the issue. She has a no benzo policy for anything no matter what.
istayhome likes this.
CoolRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrux View Post
Tell them you need to fly on a plane and you have major anxiety. They will prescribe you something, but a DR is never going to give you very many of these pills unless your diagnosed with some major panic disorder.

I went to my regular DR 4 months ago and was prescribed 15 .5 mg of Ativan.
To be honest, they just make you tired. It's a lot easier to just get rid of your panic attacks on your own by saying positive things like:

"I'm not going to die, I'm just anxious."

"My left side of my body is numb, I'm just really anxious. I've got to take deep breaths"

Deep breathing is the best to calm me down.

When you get stressed out something else you can do is slowly relax your muscles. If you're standing up, just relax your shoulders and arms and take a deep breath. You'll eventually do this every time you're stressed out.

The reason your DR prescribed you the SSRI's are simply because they do help with anxiety. It's not just depression. I know for a fact that when you're on anti-depressants things are a bit easier to handle. Not because they change who you are, but because they get rid of some of the physical symptoms you might be having.

Maybe you should try a different class of anti-depressant. Don't go straight into ativan because you're Dr won't give you very many anyways.

I disagree, Deep breathing has NEVER helped me, even if I do it properly all night, for 8 hours while I can't sleep.

If a person just needs Benzos for panic or sleep immediately. call an ambulance the next time you have a panic attack and insist that you are dyeing and need to go to the hospital. Spend the night there. You might be afraid of dyeing and throw up one or twice and you will barely sleep even after being given 6 mg of IV Ativan. You will think you are having a heart attack as your heart beats at 140 BPM for no reason.
Whoever is on call at the ER will prescribe you a month of Ativan.
Call a Psychiatrist and make an appointment. Now you are having these Panic attacks every day and cannot sleep or leave your house for work/school. You don't know what is going on and are convinced that you are about to die! You feel this way 24/7 an are just totally freaked out, you can't even deal with people anymore. This Just all happenned to you an you are scared now, all the time about everything.

That's how it was for me. I got put on a daily regimen of valium and xanax and I needed it. It's a fact that SSRI made my life infinitely worse no matter what anyone on the intenet said and I didn't take them. My life is much better now.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRanch View Post
It's ridiculous that they will prescribe Xanax to somebody who is going on an airplane trip but not somebody who suffers from a real disorder. Tell him you aren't interested in taking them everyday, you just want to have some on hand to stop a panic attack. You would probably be less likely to suffer an attack if you knew you had the antidote in your pocket. Your mileage will vary depending on your doc. I'm lookin for a new doc atm because they refuse to budge on the issue. She has a no benzo policy for anything no matter what.
I agree. I don't see doctor's who are more insane than I am!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

When I first talked to my doctor about my anxiety she prescribed me a low dose of Xanax to take as needed for panic attacks. It didn't seem to affect me. If you tell your doctor that you have the most problem with panic attacks they will probably give you something like that. I had more problems with constant worry and depression to the point of never leaving the house, so now I am on Zoloft. My dose was just increased as well so I am new to the whole medication thing.

mewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had no problem at all getting benzos prescribed; I wasn't even trying to. Just tell your doctor the paxil isn't working, and ask them for something else that they think could be more effective.
StNaive is offline   Reply With Quote