How to get Adderall prescription.....no doctors think it has any use for SA - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to get Adderall prescription.....no doctors think it has any use for SA

Hey all,

I have been trying for a bit to get an adderall prescription but no doctors are willing to write me a script.

A buddy of mine has ADHD and lent me a few doses. My god, did it kill my SA.

I show some signs of ADHD but most doctors do not recognize officially that I have ADHD. They recognize that I have definate signs of ADHD but docs never seem to really believe I have it. (Any ways to 'cheat' on the evaluation tests they make you do at first?)

I am in Canada btw if that makes a difference. (thank god for free healthcare)

Cheers
Raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

What are the evaluation tests? Questionaires?

It should be easy to fake ADHD with a bit of research.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dont say anything about SA because every doc will think it makes anxiety worse and wont even consider it..

Only tell about the ADD symptons and that nothing else is going wrong.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
Dont say anything about SA because every doc will think it makes anxiety worse and wont even consider it..

Only tell about the ADD symptons and that nothing else is going wrong.
This may be it..

My pdoc keeps mentioning to me that my mood/anxiety has priority over this matter and I never really understood what he meant.

PS. Any reliable online pharmacies??
Raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
This may be it..

My pdoc keeps mentioning to me that my mood/anxiety has priority over this matter and I never really understood what he meant.

PS. Any reliable online pharmacies??
Dex and adderall are the only 2 things that cant be ordered online... There's no way your gonna find a source for them.

He says that because he beleives that adderall wont fix your mood and anxiety.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ask your doctor why he doesn't think it would work since dopamine is the main neurotransmitter responsible for motivation and reward. It would be difficult for him to rationally object that amphetamines are unlikely to make you want to be around/interact with people.

You could also tell him that pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) has a calming effect on you. Both amphetamine and pseudoephedrine are norepinephrine releasing agents and sympathomimetics, so if one is calming, the other likely will be as well.
IllusionalFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your story sounds so much like mine. I saw my doctor today and she said she refuses to write a script unless it has been officially diagnosed... so now I'm seeing a psychiatric nurse next week and hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionalFate View Post
Ask your doctor why he doesn't think it would work since dopamine is the main neurotransmitter responsible for motivation and reward. It would be difficult for him to rationally object that amphetamines are unlikely to make you want to be around/interact with people.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind too in case there's a problem. I definitely do have a problem focusing, but now I have a lifeline!
Polyoxymethylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Question

A good friend told me that Adderall is neuro toxic to my brain and it is going to fry my brain. Is that true?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMay1977 View Post
A good friend told me that Adderall is neuro toxic to my brain and it is going to fry my brain. Is that true?
Amphetamine damages neuronal nerve terminals which I believe is mediated through mitochondrial dysfunction. When nerve terminals can't operate, the cells can't communicate with one another thereby "frying your brain", or inducing neurotoxicity. Sounds kind of scary, but the extent at which it does this is nothing to be concerned about -- amphetamines have been on the market since ~1930s(?). Psychological adverse effects after longterm treatment is inconclusive.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

mine won't unless I can find some sort of postive trial that shows it helps (without the adhd) -- He's looking into Straterra (another stimulant) but all the trials (very few that I found) said it didn't help with SA... meh.

Anyone know of any? or is it all anecdotal :P
Saqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqq View Post
mine won't unless I can find some sort of postive trial that shows it helps (without the adhd) -- He's looking into Straterra (another stimulant) but all the trials (very few that I found) said it didn't help with SA... meh.

Anyone know of any? or is it all anecdotal :P
Here's a good one:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/.../154/2/239.pdf
Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Amphetamine damages neuronal nerve terminals which I believe is mediated through mitochondrial dysfunction.
This should be qualified though, as it is only in animal trials at doses far beyond therapeutic equivelents that any kind of damage has been proven. There is no evidence that therapeutic doses in humans cause any kind of damage.
Upekkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upekkha View Post
This should be qualified though, as it is only in animal trials at doses far beyond therapeutic equivelents that any kind of damage has been proven. There is no evidence that therapeutic doses in humans cause any kind of damage.
Yes, youd need to inject 4 gram a day to get any damage.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
It would be difficult for him to rationally object that amphetamines are unlikely to make you want to be around/interact with people.
It's very easy for docs to object to the prescription of amphetamines. They're C-II drugs and many docs would much prefer to do a digital prostate exam without wearing gloves than to touch a C-II. We have a War On Drugs and C-IIs are very close to the front lines.

As for ADD, I've never been diagnosed with it and I seriously question if I have ADD. I've never even been tested for ADD. I kind-of-sort-of fit the definition of inattentive ADD, in the same way my size 13 foot kind-of-sort-of fits in a size 10 shoe. The only thing to suggest I might have ADD is that stimulants don't increase my level of anxiety and actually make me feel better.

Two months ago I started taking dextroamphetamine for treatment resistant depression. This was, at one time, a widely accepted use for amphetamines. Especially, since they hit the market around 1935, predating the earliest ADs like imipramine or MAOIs by a couple decades. Ritalin, an amphetamine-like drug, was also originally used to treat depression.

The only FDA-approved indications for amphetamines are ADD & narcolepsy, though they are used off-label for depression in rare cases still. If you try a Google search you'll find a stunning lack of info on stimulants for treatment of depression.

Quote:
You could also tell him that pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) has a calming effect on you.
I never noticed any calming effect from decongestants, though they never made me nervous either. To me they're totally neutral in that regard. I assume this is because Sudafed is a vastly more mild stimulant than an amphetamine, so mild that I don't notice any stimulation. Just as I don't notice any stimulation from Wellbutrin (though it does have a nifty appetite suppressant effect).
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
I'm living proof those docs are dead wrong. Amphetamines warn not to give to patients with significant anxiety.

You'd be hard pressed to come up with many patients who exceed my level of anxiety, yet amphetamines don't increase my anxiety at all.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Adderall really sends my depression and anxiety on a roller coaster. At times it helps my anxiety and other times makes it much worse. This is pretty common thanks to the crashes that are common to adderall. I also personally believe it is likely pretty common for people who for whatever reason 'love' adderall to either actively deny, or passively just not recognize these worse-than-normal levels of anxiety or depression which adderall causes (due to the crash). I think this is where the real heart of the 'addiction potential' lies. And I can't say for sure that I am not a victim of this.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Adderall isn't used for social anxiety.
mike8803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'd recommend you try an SSRI, ie., zoloft, or lexapro.
mike8803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8803 View Post
Adderall isn't used for social anxiety.
It should be used alot more instead of that crappy SSRI's.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Adderall is a stimulant just like cocaine. how would that make anxiety better. id be worse jumping up and down with my psych. Im much better off with exercise, ssris, and energy drinks imo.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote