Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree4 Liked Posts

Old 06-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much clonazepam can I really take?

Hi

I am currently taking .10mg of clonazepam twice daily to deal with anxiety at work (total of .20mg daily).. although this is beginning to not be sufficient any more...

The bottle, and my psych has advised me to take only one tablet (.5mg) at a time and only upto three times a day. I've gone over this dosage a while ago.. because it wasn't really helping at all..

my question is, how much can I take daily without getting really ill ?

or.. would I be better off going onto a different type of benzo, like Xanax?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. as I cannot see my psych for another month, and i'm going a tad crazy.

thnx,

Jess :
Old 06-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: How much clonazepam can I really take?

10 mg would be 20 of your .5 tablets, what are you actually taking?
point 1 would be a small piece of one tablet
20mg a day is very high and will lead to dependancy problems but not usually illness
all benzos are much the same, IMO
the psych should be teaching you new ways of coping with the anxiety by relaxing, etc
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

i dont think she knows how to convert. Two 0.5mg tablets =1.0mgs NOT 0.1mgs.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
i dont think she knows how to convert. Two 0.5mg tablets =1.0mgs NOT 0.1mgs.
yes, im pretty sure mz_jess is prescribed up to 1.5mg daily but is using 2mg daily.
InsomniacMike likes this.
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: How much clonazepam can I really take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_jess
how much can I take daily without getting really ill ?
Only you can be the judge of that. Obviously, any dose exceeding a certain amount (let's say 4.5mg) may be considered a little high, and worth thinking about lowering. However, at 2mg, you don't have much to worry about. However, what does worry me, is that you aren't feeling effects from the 2mg. I think you may wanna consider not taking your Klonopin daily, but instead, more on an "as needed" basis. This way, you will conserve your Klonopin, while concurrently lowering the chances of developing tolerance, as it seems is happening to you now. Building up tolerance to 2mg if you've been taking it everyday isn't really a novelty. Instead, it should be expected. How long did you say you've been taking this dose for? And how long have you actually been on Klonopin? It's important to be careful with tolerance, for obvious health reasons, but also because some docs won't go over certain doses, and then, they will just wean you off of your benzo and cut you off. IMO, I'd rather have a script but take the benzo sparingly, rather than not having a script at all.

Quote:
would I be better off going onto a different type of benzo, like Xanax?]
Definitely not. Since it seems you're looking for an all day sort of anxyolitic effect (for work), you would be popping lots of Xanax to achieve this, and will build up tolerance much quicker than you are with Klonopin. Xanax is a fast-acting, short-lasting benzo, whereas Klonopin is completely the opposite (slow-acting, long-lasting). Take into consideration that most people will feel Klonopin's effect for anywhere from 4-8 hours, whereas Xanax effects will last about 1-3 hours.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

[quote=Speak Easy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mz_jess":3cc38
would I be better off going onto a different type of benzo, like Xanax?]
Definitely not. Since it seems you're looking for an all day sort of anxyolitic effect (for work), you would be popping lots of Xanax to achieve this, and will build up tolerance much quicker than you are with Klonopin. Xanax is a fast-acting, short-lasting benzo, whereas Klonopin is completely the opposite (slow-acting, long-lasting). Take into consideration that most people will feel Klonopin's effect for anywhere from 4-8 hours, whereas Xanax effects will last about 1-3 hours.[/quote:3cc38]

You must keep in mind that there are individual differences. While all benzos are much the same, some people will find that one works better than another for them. I, for example, don't care for Klonopin and use Xanax instead. My psychiatrist says he doesn't even try to guess which will work best for any given patient because "he's usually wrong". I know a woman who can't stand Xanax, but think Ativan is great -- to me they're both the same.

Yes, Xanax does require more frequent dosing. I don't view this as a problem myself, though I know some people would go nuts taking a pill 4 times a day. As for Xanax lasting 1-3 hours, I'd have to disagree. If that figure were accurate I'd need 8 to 24 doses per day, which obviously I don't.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can get ill. .5 x 3 a day = 90 a month. .5 x 4 a day = 120 a month. Unless you have a script for 120 a month that last week of the month might get a little rough because you will be out of K wishing you had stuck with the instructions.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
my question is, how much can I take daily without getting really ill ?
As has already been pointed out, you risk feeling like crap if you run out of pills before you can refill due to taking more than prescribed.

Now to answer your question: Klonopin is approved for treatment of panic disorder up to 4 mg a day, and up to 20 mg a day for epilepsy. So, the dose can go sky high without causing harm (other than such high doses would put most folks to sleep till they got used to it). It's really not an issue of benzos making you ill. It's an issue of you running out as you don't have enough supply. The toxic dose for any benzo is so sky high that nobody is ever going to reach it by accident, unless they can accidentally take hundreds of pills, so you're safe on that front.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
As for Xanax lasting 1-3 hours, I'd have to disagree. If that figure were accurate I'd need 8 to 24 doses per day, which obviously I don't.
How long would you say the effects last from one dose?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak Easy
Quote:
As for Xanax lasting 1-3 hours, I'd have to disagree. If that figure were accurate I'd need 8 to 24 doses per day, which obviously I don't.
I dont think Karl is taking into account the time he sleeps unless he really does pop xanax while hes sleeping.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak Easy
Quote:
I dont think Karl is taking into account the time he sleeps unless he really does pop xanax while hes sleeping.
OK, let's say I sleep 8 hours a day. That leaves 16 waking hours, so 5 to 16 does per day at that rate of Xanax only last 1-3 hours.

As for how long Xanax lasts, I take it when I feel the need for it so it does vary considerably. I might take a few pills within a couple hours if I'm all wound up. Other times I might go much of the day without taking a pill. I have noticed that Xanax seems to have a much longer lasting effect when taken in a large dose (like 4-6 mg). I guess on average a dose might last me about 5 hours.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I have noticed that Xanax seems to have a much longer lasting effect when taken in a large dose (like 4-6 mg)...
And I don't really know why Xanax is like that, either.

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

As for the original question, I came across a quick Google search for the LD50 (lethal dosage) of Klonopin (in mice, ha), and it was listed as >4,000mg/kg of body weight. So to make you sick, let's dice up the number to 1,000mg/kg of body weight (25% of the lethal dosage, which would be enough to cause severe sickness (among other things), I imagine). Let's assume you weigh 150lbs which is about 68kg. 68kg x 4,000mg/kg = 272,000mg, or #136,000 count 2mg tablets of Klonopin. I doubt that many could fit into your entire digestive tract (from entrance to exit). Besides, even if you had access to that much Klonopin, you could sell it and live off the profit in peace at home .

Realistically, though, I don't think there is an amount of Klonopin that anyone is going to be prescribed for SA that could ever make them severely ill. As I think others have pointed out, you'd probably pass out and sleep for a while before becoming sick.

Xanax is what works for me, but it does require multiple daily dosing for particularly bad SA-provoking situations. Lately, I've been taking only 1mg during the day to ensure no withdrawal occurs and then a couple mg's at night for sleep. Once I start an upcoming job and eventually return to school in the fall, I will probably be back up to 4mg-5mg per day. It's not troublesome, though. It depends on you and what you're willing to do, I guess.

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, Karl, and I agree that at a higher dose it would work that way. But you must take into consideration that most people are not gonna go above the 1-2mg dosage area. I don't believe that at 1mg, Xanax would produce noticeable effects for longer than 1-3 hours. But that's just from personal experience, so everyone's experience could obviously be different
Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

I always wanted and did take more than the specified dose of clonazepan (1/2 mg 2x day) because I really didn't feel any effects, I wanted to feel good and these just didn't cut it. This probably had something to do with taking xanax for a couple/few years (don't remember, ha) on a daily basis. (1-2 mg pr day) xanax gave me a much better overall feeling of well being and confidence, an easy one to want to take forever!

I'm happy to say I'm currently off all and any benzo although I do miss the relaxed and overall good feeling from them. Anxiety as we all know is a ****** but what's far worse in my book is getting off of benzo's.....that's a mfkr!!! (I guess there comes a point for everyone to get off the stuff?) For me I think I'm better off dealing with my anxiety straight up rather than go thru on and off battles with the meds. Like many have and will say they are a temporary bandaid, but a nessesary one in most cases. It's definetly a catch 22. Hard to live with 'em, hard without.

Peace
paddywack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Here's how much I really took due to fear over seeing my doctor:

Staring December 10:

1mg Klonopin @11:30am
2mg Klonopin @3pm
2mg Klonopin @7:30pm
2mg Klonopin @9:40pm

December 11:

4mg Klonopin @2:05am
4mg Klonopin @2:45am
4mg Xanax @ 3:30am
2mg Xanax @9:30am
2mg Xanax @12:40pm

That seems to be 24mg in 25 hours. There was some drinking of wine during that period as well. Yes, I'm that f'ed up and yes I'm still fully alive.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

klonopin will not make you ill at any dose.

but it will simply make you fall asleep, if your tolerance is low, and you take high doses. (as in, doses much higher than what you are prescribed)

good luck! let me know how it goes.

Medications:
Klonopin 6mg and Effexor XR 300mg.

"I'm not saying I'm going to change the world, but I guarantee I will spark the brain
that will change the world."
fineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allornothing View Post
klonopin will not make you ill at any dose.
Before newer drugs came along it was used up to 20mg/day for epilepsy, which is way beyond what's used for anxiety/panic. With Klonopin the sky's the limit. You can't realistically take too much. You'll run out long before you OD. Now some nanny is surely going to scold me because I should tell you that doesn't apply if you're taking it with a dangerously large dose of oxy and washing it down with a liter of Jack. Well, duh! If you just take benzos alone the worst that will happen is that you'll suffer a nap.
Ben12 and fineline like this.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

You can take all the Klonopin that you can get your hands on and you might fall asleep. A stomach ache from being so full of pills is the only bad thing that will happen. Personally I have taken at least 240 mg of Klonopin at once to no ill effect.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
Personally I have taken at least 240 mg of Klonopin at once to no ill effect.
You put my record to shame.

Benzos are so harmless that we're forced to refer to the LD50 in rats and scale that up to human size, guessing that's what it would take to kill a person. We're forced to do so as no human has ever actually managed to die by benzo alone. You'd have to literally eat the bottle and chock to death on the actual bottle.