Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By istayhome

Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How long does it take xanax kicks in for you?

I've heard it takes 15-20 min. to kick in and I can feel sedation around that time too, but for me, the full sedation starts only after at least an hour.

and its effect subsides after about 2-3 hours...

So it's hard to decide when to take it and how much. (I use it as needed bases)

How long does it take to kick in for you guys? and How long does it last?

It lasts only 3-4 hours for me.
maxpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpain View Post
I've heard it takes 15-20 min. to kick in and I can feel sedation around that time too, but for me, the full sedation starts only after at least an hour.

and its effect subsides after about 2-3 hours...

So it's hard to decide when to take it and how much. (I use it as needed bases)

How long does it take to kick in for you guys? and How long does it last?

It lasts only 3-4 hours for me.
It effects me (and I suspect most people) the same. Except it doesn't make me drowsy, it just relieves anxiety. But generally yes, I feel the onset begin in about 20 min., the effects peak in about 60-90 min. and the total duration is right around 4 hrs. That is typical of Xanax. I generally only use it for panic attacks or other times when I need relief from acute anxiety.

I also take valium for General Anxiety. Valium has the quick onset of xanax but it lasts much longer. Taking valium a couple times a day, which I do, relieves anxiety 24/7. Whereas as you say Xanax only relives anxiety, or in your case, sedates you, for a few hours.
maxpain likes this.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
It effects me (and I suspect most people) the same. Except it doesn't make me drowsy, it just relieves anxiety. But generally yes, I feel the onset begin in about 20 min., the effects peak in about 60-90 min. and the total duration is right around 4 hrs. That is typical of Xanax. I generally only use it for panic attacks or other times when I need relief from acute anxiety.

I also take valium for General Anxiety. Valium has the quick onset of xanax but it lasts much longer. Taking valium a couple times a day, which I do, relieves anxiety 24/7. Whereas as you say Xanax only relives anxiety, or in your case, sedates you, for a few hours.
thx for your answer,

Doctors said it lasts about 8 hours but actual effect is way shorter.

I think your description about the duration and onset time of xanax is more exact.

For me, it makes me drowsy, numb, slowed down, stumble, a bit amnesiac..
I become like drunken lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
thx for your answer,

Doctors said it lasts about 8 hours but actual effect is way shorter.

I think your description about the duration and onset time of xanax is more exact.

For me, it makes me drowsy, numb, slowed down, stumble, a bit amnesiac..
I become like drunken lol.

Try taking a lower dose. All of those effects to me sound like you are taking a bit too much. That is my opinion anyways.

That is interesting that doctors have told you that xanax lasts for 8 hours. It is completely Incorrect. Xanax is known for being a short acting benzo. The Doctors who have told you that were very lacking in knowledge about the subject or they are lying to you for some reason. Some doctors will lie to patients when prescribing any type of benzo to people. Some, but not all, doctors will under-prescribe benzos to patients; so maybe your doctor told you that Xanax lasts twice as long as it does so that he/she could only prescribe you half the amount that you would otherwise need. Well, best of luck to you.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

The remarkably marginal effect of Xanax seems to kick in around half and hour for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know if your taking long tablets or round pills. Personally I break my bars into four pieces even if I'm inking the whole 2mg. Seems to kick in faster . That's pretty important to me when I'm losing it in public.fast relief.
Whynotgrl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
Try taking a lower dose. All of those effects to me sound like you are taking a bit too much. That is my opinion anyways.

That is interesting that doctors have told you that xanax lasts for 8 hours. It is completely Incorrect. Xanax is known for being a short acting benzo. The Doctors who have told you that were very lacking in knowledge about the subject or they are lying to you for some reason. Some doctors will lie to patients when prescribing any type of benzo to people. Some, but not all, doctors will under-prescribe benzos to patients; so maybe your doctor told you that Xanax lasts twice as long as it does so that he/she could only prescribe you half the amount that you would otherwise need. Well, best of luck to you.
My Dr is not psychologist, maybe he didn't know well about xanax. He told me to take it at night cause it lasts till next day. (seriously?)

I get two 0.5mg per day, and I try not to take it all at once so i break it to half and wait till it works, if it doesn't work I take one more half and one more half...

One bad day i took 2.75mg and slept at my work.

I'll try not to do it again
anyway thx man for your advice
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
The remarkably marginal effect of Xanax seems to kick in around half and hour for me.
I thought 15 min. was enough first time but i feel the blood peak around 1 hour later like you.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotgrl67 View Post
I don't know if your taking long tablets or round pills. Personally I break my bars into four pieces even if I'm inking the whole 2mg. Seems to kick in faster . That's pretty important to me when I'm losing it in public.fast relief.
My doc is reluctant to give me 1mg bars. I get orange 0.5mgs, and break it to half, taking one every 30min.-2hours.
I break it because I want to know whether i develop tolerance or not.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

20 to 30 minutes, for the full effect. Sublingually only about 10 minutes. If I chew it up like some desperate freak in the middle of a panic attack and let it dissolve under my tongue in a powdery form, usually only takes a few minutes.
tieffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

I meant 30 minutes, not an hour and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieffers View Post
20 to 30 minutes, for the full effect. Sublingually only about 10 minutes. If I chew it up like some desperate freak in the middle of a panic attack and let it dissolve under my tongue in a powdery form, usually only takes a few minutes.
I munched on Xanax once. It was so awful that I wound up spitting out the remnants and brushing my teeth for ten minutes afterwards, then using flouride rinse. And I could still taste it a bit after all that. Brutal.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieffers View Post
Eh......I ALWAYS CHEW them.... cause I like the taste.
Am I weird lol....
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
My Dr is not psychologist, maybe he didn't know well about xanax. He told me to take it at night cause it lasts till next day. (seriously?)

I get two 0.5mg per day, and I try not to take it all at once so i break it to half and wait till it works, if it doesn't work I take one more half and one more half...

One bad day i took 2.75mg and slept at my work.

I'll try not to do it again
anyway thx man for your advice
Any doctor who prescribes any medication to you should know about it well. Xanax absolutely will not last 8 hours. If you take it before bed, by the time you wake up the effects of it will be long gone.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Eh......I ALWAYS CHEW them.... cause I like the taste.
Am I weird lol....
Nah, you're not weird. Unless I am too. I like the taste because I associate it with relief from panic. Probably a Pavlovian response.
tieffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

when i am having a really bad anxiety episode and i take .5mg, i usually feel relief within 20-30 minutes, and it only gets better for the next 30 min, and then i think it usually starts to wear off after a few hours, but by then, my body has already relaxed and i'm okay.

when i take it and my anxiety is not as bad but i still need some help with relief, i feel like it actually takes longer to take effect, up to an hour, which seems weird to me.

i take it only as needed (it takes me around a year or more even to go through my 60 pill bottle).
deefkrm is offline   Reply With Quote