X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How long can a Mirtazapine withdrawal last?

I quit both Prozac and Welbutrin cold turkey when I was taking them, so I decided to do the same with Mirtazapine. Things haven't gone quite as smoothly this time, and I suspect there's a good chance that the insomnia, allergies, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and louder tinnitus I've had for the past week are from Mirtazapine. Normally I'd ask my psychiatrist but I'm not seeing her anymore and don't feel comfortable talking to her anymore.

So, is it possible for a Mirtazapine withdrawal to last more than a few days? Weeks? If anyone has any experience here it'd be a big help.
Under17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I dont know. I taped down at 15mg every 4 days from 45mg. Had no withdrawal after that.
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I think that what your experiencing may indeed be due to withdrawing from mirtazapine. That's not to say that withdrawl from mirtazapine itself is the cause of these symptoms per se, but rather that mirtazapine is known to stop insomnia, allergies, nausea, vomiting and appetite loss, so by stopping mirtazapine these symptoms will naturally return.

With that said I was on 45 mg from about 6 months, and came off it fairly easily, by memory tapering down by 15 mg per week.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under17 View Post
insomnia, allergies, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and louder tinnitus I've had for the past week are from Mirtazapine. Normally I'd ask my psychiatrist but I'm not seeing her anymore and don't feel comfortable talking to her anymore.
Most of those sound like mirtazapine withdrawals.

Quote:
So, is it possible for a Mirtazapine withdrawal to last more than a few days? Weeks? If anyone has any experience here it'd be a big help.
Yeah some people don't get them, but some do and they can last weeks to months. I think it depends how long you've been on it.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

First time i quit mirt it went pretty easy in the start, tapped off slowly, felt good, but the withdrawal came after 4 months of beeing clean, had terrible withdrawal, started off with a flu, then insomnia, tiredness, repetitive racing thaughts, terrible anxiety and so on.
lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
There is withdrawal? Wow, I stopped taking 30 mg cold turkey, no problem.
Are you off mirtazapine completely now LaRibbon or do you take it as needed for insomnia?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ah ok, yeah I'm currently on 15 mg a night for insomnia, but I've been noticing lately how apathetic and unmotivated it's starting to make me feel once again, so I think I may have to only take it as needed too, perhaps twice a week or something. Hows that working out for you?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was taking mirtazapine for about 4 months at 30 mg, so I hope that's not too bad. In any case, most of the symptoms aside from nausea and lack of appetite seem to be slowly getting better.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
So far so good. I take it maybe 3 times a week and it helps stabilise my sleeping cycle into a regular pattern, so the effect is as good as taking it everyday. I'd guess you'd need to alter the number of times you take it a week depending on the extent of insomnia.
Cool, I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Some nights even 7.5 mg gives me a peaceful sleep.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Hmm..

I have been on I think 40mg tabs. And I havent had any for 5 days. Really starting to notice symptoms. But can't afford to buy more... Is there any help you can get to pay for medication from the government when your in need? I am worried.. thanks
NewPatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've been on and off mirtazapine a handful of times and withdrawal never lasted much more than a week give or take. It was also so mild compared to other drugs I wouldn't even call it a withdrawal.

Just eat a lot of foods like pasta, potatoes, turkey. They will take the edge off and chill ya out a bit.

beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPatient View Post
I have been on I think 40mg tabs. And I havent had any for 5 days. Really starting to notice symptoms. But can't afford to buy more... Is there any help you can get to pay for medication from the government when your in need? I am worried.. thanks
Mirtazapine is pretty affordable compared to most medications.. are you getting the generics? It used to cost me no more than $15 a month. Where do you live? If you live in the US it should be pretty cheap at costco, you don't need a membership to use their pharmacy.

I think this forum used to have a sticky for this website called www.needymeds.org that might help you find out how to get drug discounts but I've never used it.

I'm not entirely sure but cyproheptadine could ease some of the withdrawal symptoms, it cost me only $3 for 100 of them so you should be able to get a few for not much and use them for sleep, appetite and nausea. I wish I had known about it before (or tapered off the mirtazapine anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaches09 View Post
I've been on and off mirtazapine a handful of times and withdrawal never lasted much more than a week give or take. It was also so mild compared to other drugs I wouldn't even call it a withdrawal.

Just eat a lot of foods like pasta, potatoes, turkey. They will take the edge off and chill ya out a bit.
Luckily it's not the same for everyone. It messed up my stomach pretty bad for about 2 months from what I can remember.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

I remember than when I stopped mirtazapine then I started to feel better.
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
Same here. I just stopped it recently again and after about a week off I started to feel like me again, excited, energetic, etc. That drug fogged my brain, killed my energy, and made me very irritable.

beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Day 6 of withdrawal from 30mg myself. Still not sleeping till about 4am, and waking a lot of the time. Only sleep till about 9-10am.

Little nausea during the day, strange feeling in the stomach that usually clears after coffee. Food in the mornings tends to make me feel more uncomfortable but then subsides. Otherwise, its pretty minor. Nothing like the Amitriptyline w/d's.
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 250mg
Zoloft 150mg
Zyprexa 10mg
Clonazepam 2mg prn (once a week)

Previous meds: Amitriptyline 200mg, Dexamphetamine 60mg, Dosulepin 50mg, Lithium 900mg, Lexapro 20mg, Lyrica 100mg, Methylphenidate IR 40MG LA 60mg, Moclobemide 450mg, Prozac 60mg, Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 300mg, Sodium Valproate 1500mg, Thorazine 500mg, Temazepam 20mg, Topamax 100-150mg
A Sense of Purpose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Cool Trying various reduction methods

Interesting to see how prevalent, "Mirtazapine Withdrawal," is as a topic on a Google search.

I've been on prescribed psychoactive meds in various amounts since '85 and quit more drugs than most people have contemplated, but this takes the cake.

I've been taking Mirtazapine for 2 years now.

I have a long story but not interested in posting it here at the moment. I've just joined this site so ...suffice to say I went in the hospital Dec. 25, 2010 at 96 pounds and wasn't expected to live more than 2 or 3 days at the most. I'm contrary by nature, so here I am ...not only alive, but thriving.

My current script at bedtime is: 15mg Mirtazapine, 1.5mg Xanax & 20mg Morphine.

My problem with Mirtazapine is the appetite. I'm 5'5" and 177 pounds. My ideal weight is 155-160. I was on a higher dose a year ago and we've reduced it to 15 mg which is the lowest dose available in Canada.

I tried going to half a tab and after one week I developed the following unpleasant symptoms at bedtime:
* I became "squirmy," and felt I wanted to crawl out of my skin when I tried to sleep.
*An extreme fatigue set in. Not tiredness, but an overwhelming exhaustion, like the life-force had been sucked out of me. I'd put my head on the pillow thinking I'd sleep and wake up instantly. The moment I would get up the fatigue would set in. This cycle would not abate without the other half tab of Mirtazapine. The Xanax & Morphine had no effect.

For the last week I've been taking 7.5 mg Mirt. one night (half a tab) and a full tab the next night, the goal being complete elimination of Mirtazapine from my regime. So far, so good.

I'll check back and let you all know how it's going.

It's all Kewlaid in the long run.
kewlaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mirtazapine has hellish withdrawals and they're very addictive. It lasted about 2 weeks entirely for me. Stay strong.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoMadness View Post
Mirtazapine has hellish withdrawals and they're very addictive. It lasted about 2 weeks entirely for me. Stay strong.
Thanks for your reply. So far, by taking just 7.5 one day & the full 15mg the next, I haven't had the withdrawal effects I described. Next week I'll reduce to 7.5mg a night and see.

Now that it appears I'm going to live to what is considered a normal life-span in my family (90-100+ years) and I no longer have to work at a career I hated for years, I'm questioning the need for an antidepressant at all.

I am however, considering getting my Dexedrine script raised from 40mg to 50 mg per day (quick release tabs).

-It's all Kewlaid...
kewlaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default Muscle and joint pain!!!!

I've been on Mirtazapine for about 6 months now(30mg). I'm a runner have been for the past ten years. I run 20-25 miles a week. Starting about 2-3 months ago I started geeting some severe muscle and joint pain in my legs as I run. My balance has also been effected.

For the first couple months everything seemed fine but lately the muscle and joint pain has really gotten BAD!!!! I haven't changed anything else in my diet or added any new meds.

I'm just curious to find out if anybody else has had these problems too.

Thanks,
JPB
JPB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaches09 View Post
Same here. I just stopped it recently again and after about a week off I started to feel like me again, excited, energetic, etc. That drug fogged my brain, killed my energy, and made me very irritable.
Same here, similar deal with Seroquel and all antihistaminergics for me really. Foggy and no energy.