X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How is Valium supposed to make me feel?

So my doctor prescribed me 5mg Valium for my SA. And also Inderal but only for public speaking events. This is the first time I'm having meds, so I have no idea how they work.
How am I supposed to feel after having them? I tried 5mg Valium first but that didn't make me feel any different. I was hoping it's effect to be instant. Should I try 10 mg?
Also, I've heard of the many side-effects they bring so I'm a little reluctant in having these meds on a regular basis and want to use them only when I need to. But will it work that way?
potf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Valium will usually work after about 20 -30 mins. It usually makes you feel relaxed, but the dose will vary according to the person. It has a reasonably long half life, so lasts a bit longer than Xanax, for example. They work differently to the antidepressants. Maybe just have a look at some of the older posts here about it - there will be lots of them.
don36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

well i find it does nothing for me but then again i am on higher doses of lorazepam and was addicted a couple of years back to klonopin which is double the strength of diazepam but usually if you are new to benzo's then after about half an hour to an hour (they are slower release than xanax and ativan) you should feel calm, happier and just overall a little less anxious
they will help you sleep for the first few days but that tends to wear off

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

relaxed, slow, tons of yawning, clammy skin
SomebodyWakeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

They definitely help anxiety and slow down thinking but I find they make me more depressed when I take them. Valium is better then xanax and klonopin in my experience.
I need about about 15mg to feel the benefits and I use them like once a year.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

A little bit drunk, although more relaxed and sleep vs euphoric and happy. Five miligram is a very dose though and every day use is a terrible idea (even at low doses) as it will often cause way more side effects than benefits over the long term. Read up on benzo withdrawal (valiumn is a benzo),.
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

everything everyone said above. 5 mg of valium is a very low dose, so even having never taken a benzo you not feel anything. Try 10 mgs. You sould feel calm, relaxed, etc. in 30-40 minutes. Only take it as needed. If you do not have chronic anxiety and you only feel extremely anxious sometimes, only take it for those occasions. If you use it more than a few times a weeks you will become physically addicted.

I'm surprised your doctor didn't inform you enough about these medications. Read on this forum, the treatment reviews and research from other sources about benzodiazapines, you need to be informed and knowledgable about your medication. Benzodiazapines (valium) are nothing like ssri's.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the replies. Like you guys said 5 mg is a very low dose, so I called my doctor and he said I could increase my dose to 15mgs.
I tried 10 mgs yesterday & that gave me a buzz and made me feel sleepy but even that wore off in a few hours.
I'm a little concerned coz I have a job interview in a few days and I always get rejected because the anxiety starts showing up. So I think I'll just take 15 mg that day.

Do I need to take Inderal along with it too just to be super safe?
potf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Take 10 mg and Inderal. 15 mg will likely make you sloppy at this point if 10 mg makes you feel buzzed. With Benzos, the goal is to feel nothing. Felling buzzed and sleepy will quickly stop, But don't take a higher dose because you think it is how valium should make you feel.

I take 30 mg of valium a day and don't notice it, that's the point. The valium just makes it so I feel less anxiety but otherwise no difference. After your first few doses, if you get a buzz from your dose, it is too high of a dose for therapeutic use.

I would like to point out also that just because your buzz wore off after a few hours, the drug was likely working for a good 6 hours more. You would have noticed a decrease in anxiety had you been in a situation that normally makes you anxious.

Also remember your doctor said to only use these drugs for public speaking. So do not take either on a regular basis. Otherwise you will become addicted to valium. I don't think you want that. Your case of anxiety doesn't sound severe enough to take valium daily, avoid benzo addiction as much as you can it will result in a lot of unecessary pain for you when you only need anxiety relief occasionally.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think that 15 mg Diazepam PO qd and 30 mg Propranolol PO bid is about right. Any more and I would need caffeine to not fall asleep.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Valium should make you feel chill!
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote