How do you know if an antidepressant is working? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Reply
Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
habsfan31's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Age: 26
Posts: 112



Default How do you know if an antidepressant is working?

Post may be a little long.....

Ive been on lexapro for just about 2 months now. First month at 10 mg, the past month at 20 mg. And i dont feel any different at least in terms of my anxiety. For those of you who've had success with antidepressants, how do you know if its helping your anxiety? Do you feel less anxious, or is the anxiety still there but maybe you dont care as much for it? Is it a very noticeable difference where i would know if it was working?

Here's my dilemma, over the past couple of weeks, i havent noticed an improvement in my anxiety, at least nothing noticeable, but i have been doing some things that i wasnt doing before, or never even thought i could do like telling two of my friends about my anxiety. I dont feel any different though, i was still extremely anxious doing that, but i did it anyways. So it could just be a coincidence, or perhaps therapy is finally working. The two things i have noticed from lexapro is my mood is up, ive been less depressed lately (that might be why ive been able to do some anxious things), and my appetite has vastly increased. I emailed my psychiatrist originally cause i was worried about the increased appetite (weight gain is a huge no-no for me), and i also mentioned how i dont think the meds are working since i was feeling less anxious, hes away on vacation for another week, so i wasnt really able to give him the full details, but he wants me to start weaning off the meds starting tomorrow so I can try something else when he gets back.

Anyways, back to the original topic, based on my short story, does it appear that the meds are working on my anxiety. I kind of want to get off the meds cause of the increased appetite, and the possibility that its not even working, but if it is actually working, maybe there are other options for me to decrease my appetite while staying on the meds (Wellbutrin?). For those of you that have had success, can you please let me know how you knew they were working, and what you felt. Maybe tell me your story.

Thanks for reading.
habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Here....There...Neither
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 420



Default

It's when you stop worrying about every little thing. It's normal to get hungry. You will start to feel better when you stop thinking about it all. You are worrying about everything. You will never feel happy in constant worry. Just say screw it. I feel how I feel and I don't care. You'll feel better. If you stay in this mind frame, you will always find somethingvnew to worry about. It s endless. It all prevents you from feeling better. Just sto worrying and you'll feel better. It is as simple as that. The medication will have very little effect if you question it's effectiveness. Attitudes are habits and habits are formed by repetetition. You get what you put out there. You worry, you'll just receive more worrying about every little thing. Stop fighting. Surrender to how you feel now. Your sunconscious is fighting and fighting. You need to surrender otherwise you will keep feeling bad. Didn't mean to come across so blantant. But that's the truth.
__________________
"A blind man will not change for that he knows not what he does.* It is when he sees is when the magic begins."
-Mitchell Kraus
moke64916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
habsfan31's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Age: 26
Posts: 112



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke64916 View Post
It's when you stop worrying about every little thing. It's normal to get hungry. You will start to feel better when you stop thinking about it all. You are worrying about everything. You will never feel happy in constant worry. Just say screw it. I feel how I feel and I don't care. You'll feel better. If you stay in this mind frame, you will always find somethingvnew to worry about. It s endless. It all prevents you from feeling better. Just sto worrying and you'll feel better. It is as simple as that. The medication will have very little effect if you question it's effectiveness. Attitudes are habits and habits are formed by repetetition. You get what you put out there. You worry, you'll just receive more worrying about every little thing. Stop fighting. Surrender to how you feel now. Your sunconscious is fighting and fighting. You need to surrender otherwise you will keep feeling bad. Didn't mean to come across so blantant. But that's the truth.

You make it sound like its easy to just stop worrying, like somehow i can just switch it off. If i knew how to stop worrying and thinking about every little thing, then i wouldnt have a problem.
habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 481



Default

I've used to be on these meds for many years and let me tell yah it never worked at least not for me so I cannot and will not speak for others. Please do further research on your meds including harmful side effects and such before you continue taking them. For me it made me more violent towards my family members and awful sexual side effects. I think I may have permenant brain damage. Good Luck.
QuietBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
CD700's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under rock
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBoy99 View Post
I've used to be on these meds for many years and let me tell yah it never worked at least not for me so I cannot and will not speak for others. Please do further research on your meds including harmful side effects and such before you continue taking them. For me it made me more violent towards my family members and awful sexual side effects. I think I may have permenant brain damage. Good Luck.
I really hope your day in day out bagging of meds doesn't turn someone off trying them or even continuing them.
CD700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
swim's Avatar
 
Status: icon man
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Italy
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 2,233



Default

when an ad starts to work you just feel it...
__________________
Dx: depression, GAD, narcissistic personality disorder
Rx: Sereupin (paroxetine) 20mg, Remeron (mirtazapine) 15mg, Deniban (amisulpride) 50mg, generic delorazapem 1mg
Prn: Provigil (modafinil) 200mg, Lyrica (pregabalin) 75mg, Rivotril (clonazepam) 2mg, Lioresal (baclofen) 25mg
Shelved: generic bromazepam 3mg, generic gabapentin 300mg
swim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 481



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyz View Post
I really hope your day in day out bagging of meds doesn't turn someone off trying them or even continuing them.

I'm not "bagging" on meds; I'm simply expressing my opinions. If you have a problem with that than perhaps your the one with the problem not me. All I'm saying is for people do their research before taking these meds that is all. I don't have that much to tell someone to not take meds that is not my call. Thank you and have a good day.
QuietBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
insight girl's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Posts: 247



Default

Lexapro was very subtle for me initially... After awhile though, I loved it, but I gained like 40 lbs on it after two years. It was wonderful... It took away almost all of my anxiety... I would say 80-90% of it and I was happy. I don't know of you should give up on it yet... it takes quite awhile for the effects to really make a difference... with me anyway. It also took awhile to gain the weight, so you could just keep an eye on that while continuing to take it for a little while longer in my humble opinion
Oh and I HATED the sexual side effects too... I would have to skip a day once in awhile so I could have a freakin' orgasm... Maybe that's too much over sharing...
insight girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Here....There...Neither
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 420



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan31 View Post
You make it sound like its easy to just stop worrying, like somehow i can just switch it off. If i knew how to stop worrying and thinking about every little thing, then i wouldnt have a problem.
Thats the problem right there! You make it sound like it's so hard. In reality it's not. I used to be just like her, worrying about everything, about every action i took, how I felt at every given moment. It's when you stop thinking about it all is when it goes away. It really is that easy, unless you truly aren't fed up with the way you feel? It really is that easy. Theres many techniques to change. Manifestation, surrender, Positive thought replacement, ETC. They all work. The easiest if you are are a fully conscious person is surrender. For this woman that wrote this most, her subconscious is in control. When is enough enough? Your fighting at an unconscious level which makes it seem so hard to do. If you want to find peace right now, and feel better. Laugh at the negative thoughts you get, observe your thoughts. chuckle about how truly rediculous they are. By doing that you are making yourself fully conscious. Your subconscious has no power at that point. You are in charge. Then once your fully conscious, you have a choice.
__________________
"A blind man will not change for that he knows not what he does.* It is when he sees is when the magic begins."
-Mitchell Kraus
moke64916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Here....There...Neither
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 420



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBoy99 View Post
I've used to be on these meds for many years and let me tell yah it never worked at least not for me so I cannot and will not speak for others. Please do further research on your meds including harmful side effects and such before you continue taking them. For me it made me more violent towards my family members and awful sexual side effects. I think I may have permenant brain damage. Good Luck.
Hey I used to use drugs to the point where i felt permifried. The brain will always heal itself. No medication is going to give you permanent brain damage. It seems to be only when oxygen is deprived from the brain for a certain amount of time is where they is permanent brain damage. You don't have permanent brain damage. If anyone should, It should be me, haha.
__________________
"A blind man will not change for that he knows not what he does.* It is when he sees is when the magic begins."
-Mitchell Kraus
moke64916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
habsfan31's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Age: 26
Posts: 112



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
when an ad starts to work you just feel it...
Feel it how? What changed for you, can you maybe give a little more details.
habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
habsfan31's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Age: 26
Posts: 112



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insight girl View Post
Lexapro was very subtle for me initially... After awhile though, I loved it, but I gained like 40 lbs on it after two years. It was wonderful... It took away almost all of my anxiety... I would say 80-90% of it and I was happy. I don't know of you should give up on it yet... it takes quite awhile for the effects to really make a difference... with me anyway. It also took awhile to gain the weight, so you could just keep an eye on that while continuing to take it for a little while longer in my humble opinion
Oh and I HATED the sexual side effects too... I would have to skip a day once in awhile so I could have a freakin' orgasm... Maybe that's too much over sharing...
Thanks for the advice! Glad it worked for you. This may seem like a stupid question, but when you say it took away all your anxiety, can you perhaps give me a little more details in how it changed. Did you feel less anxious when thinking about doing something, or did you only feel less anxious in a situation? I worry so much before doing something, that i really never get to see if im less anxious in certain situations. Or was there still anxiety, but it didnt matter as much on meds. Hope thats not too confusing.
habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
insight girl's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Posts: 247



Default

Makes sense habsfan... It took away my anticipatory anxiety and my anxiety in almost all situations. I was more confident too. It took away this horrible anxiety that I have for no reason every morning... and having currently. Almost like a panic attack. I'm hoping Pristiq will start to take that away. I really can't say enough good things about it... If it weren't for the damn weight gain and sexual side effects, I would still be on it

Oh and I lost all the weight after about six months of stopping it.

God, the anxiety that I have right now brings me to my knees and I really wish I was several months into the Lexapro... I wouldn't care about the weight gain at this point... sorry bad morning...
insight girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
habsfan31's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Age: 26
Posts: 112



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insight girl View Post
Makes sense habsfan... It took away my anticipatory anxiety and my anxiety in almost all situations. I was more confident too. It took away this horrible anxiety that I have for no reason every morning... and having currently. Almost like a panic attack. I'm hoping Pristiq will start to take that away. I really can't say enough good things about it... If it weren't for the damn weight gain and sexual side effects, I would still be on it

Oh and I lost all the weight after about six months of stopping it.

God, the anxiety that I have right now brings me to my knees and I really wish I was several months into the Lexapro... I wouldn't care about the weight gain at this point... sorry bad morning...
I guess based on what you are describing, the lexapro isnt working for me, since i dont feel any different, or at least notice any significant difference.

Weight gain is a huge factor for me. I think that id rather be on no meds then gain weight, maybe id change my tune if i actually took a med that actually work. I gained a good 20-30 pounds on effexor in 6 months, and was able to lose most of it, but it looks like the lexapro has now stalled that loss, and might even be adding to it.

Why did you stop taking lexapro if it was working for you? Tolerance or the side effects? Hope your day has been better than your morning!
habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
insight girl's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Posts: 247



Default

I didn't seem to have any tolerance problems. It was the weight gain and sexual side effects that made me stop...

Crap... I just started on Pristiq which apparently is the active version of Effexor... If I gain a pound on this medicine I don't know what I'm gonna do... It's supposed to have only a 2% of weight gain compared to 5% in most other SSRI's. I will probably discover that I am part of that 2%.... DAMMIT...
insight girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
kev
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 30
Posts: 1,676



Default

My gut reaction is that if a med is working, then you should know it. But AD's work very gradually, so sometimes it can be hard to remember what it was like before you started the AD. AD's work so gradually they can change you without you even realizing it. Trust me, I know this from experience, and I believe it is at least partially responsible for all the negative studies on SSRI's (not to say that the studies aren't twisted and manipulated by the drug manufacturors). And not to say SSRI's work especially well, but they usually have at least some effect, whether it is adequate or noticeable.

Just don't settle. If you feel like it is not helping adequately, there are other meds that might work better for treatment-resistant depression, like MAOI's and tricyclics (for some people).

From my reading in this new book I got "Before Prozac" melancholic depression often responds best to second-line treatments like MAOI's and tricyclics, despite the harsher side effects.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
 
JudasEpoch's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14



Default

I just started taking Sertraline (Zoloft) SSRI about a month ago, 50mg per day. And I can tell there is a dramatic difference in my anxiety panic disorder and I have many examples of what I can do now that I couldn't before.

One of the worst was when driving I would panic all the time, now my drives are just fine. I had a weird problem of addressing people or saying "bye" to people, I would get very anxious/panic-state before and after talking to someone I didn't know -- "Did they like me? Did I say something stupid? Do I look stupid? etc." Now I just talk to strangers like a "know" them... or how I perceive I should feel around most people = relaxed and not scared..

Hope this helped, there are fixes and 10mg/20mg sounds low maybe try a different tablet or strength.

Good luck! David
JudasEpoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 43



Default

You begin to notice when you think

"wow i wasnt actually thinking or worrying about something for the last 5 minutes" must be the drug
mojow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,326



Default

When you can watch porn all day long without thinking of rubbing one out
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
 
habsfan31's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Age: 26
Posts: 112



Default

Thanks for the advice guys and gals!!!!
habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the hottest new antidepressant out there? outsider77 Medication 50 01-24-2014 04:41 PM
How to use ketamine as an antidepressant crayzyMed Medication 98 01-23-2014 10:20 AM
can delsym be an antidepressant martyboi Medication 31 12-04-2010 02:02 AM
Accutane = antidepressant? Caedmon Medication 23 07-30-2009 05:38 PM
Problems with antidepressant ibardo1968 Medication 8 05-03-2008 04:54 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.