Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree2 Liked Posts

Old 09-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you get your doctor to prescribe you adderall??

I keep hearing from several sources that adderall is very difficult to obtain; it is very difficult to get doctors to prescribe adderall. How do you people convince your doctor to prescribe adderall?
SadRosesAreBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How do you get your doctor to prescribe you adderall??

Convince him you have ADD/ADHD.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
So even if I let him/her know that I have ADD symptoms stemming from social/general anxiety disorder, he still wouldn't prescribe it for me? I have seen that adderall is also used for social phobia, but I don't understand that if it works so well, that doctors won't prescribe it. I am completely stumped and frustrated about the whole thing.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadRosesAreBeautiful
Quote:
So even if I let him/her know that I have ADD symptoms stemming from social/general anxiety disorder, he still wouldn't prescribe it for me? I have seen that adderall is also used for social phobia, but I don't understand that if it works so well, that doctors won't prescribe it. I am completely stumped and frustrated about the whole thing.
Adderall is NOT prescribed for social anxiety. However Adderall works great for Social anxiety.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadRosesAreBeautiful
Quote:
Adderall is NOT prescribed for social anxiety. However Adderall works great for Social anxiety.
It would be nice if I could quote you to my doctor to convince him that adderall just might help me for SAD/GAD. I actually have a checklist that shows all the symptoms of ADD, and out of the 25 symptoms listed, I show 20 of the symptoms on a daily basis. I don't have ADD, but I do have symptoms of it due to anxiety, so I am hoping that by showing him this checklist and the fact that my grades are dropping, maybe he'll be more willing to prescribe adderall. I'm hoping, anyways.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Doctors don't like to prescribe adderall because it is often abused, especially by college kids. They're used as "study pills" on college campuses because they keep you awake, like you're on speed.
folightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

the problem is, adderall is as illegal as you can get and still be legal. you pretty much HAVE to be diagnosed with ADHD/ADD or narcolepsy to have even a loaf a breads chance in ethopia of getting it. You can also get it for some brain disorders and super severe depression but you might as well fake ADHD and hope that works (or randomly fall asleep at your doctors visit).
Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by folightning
Doctors don't like to prescribe adderall because it is often abused, especially by college kids. They're used as "study pills" on college campuses because they keep you awake, like you're on speed.

adderall *is* speed.... well the brand name
Old 09-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I call mine A.D.D.erall. The first time I saw my doctor I said I had low motivation and can't focus in school because its too boring. Guess what? My doctor then rx'ed me adderall IR.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Im not sure how an amphetamine is going to make anxiety better in general eventhough wikipedia says adderall xr is used sometimes for drug resistant depressives,

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenMI6Agent009
Im not sure how an amphetamine is going to make anxiety better in general eventhough wikipedia says adderall xr is used sometimes for drug resistant depressives,
you havent tried amphetamine yet i assume
--Isaac Asimov

Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

I tried to get dex. because I thought for sure it would help my "ADD" problems. So my doc sent me for a series of tests through a psychologist who diagnosed me as "non-clinical ADD" so that meant I'm not "offically ADD" enough to get it.

Also, he said my problems were from anxiety and that amphetamines would make it worse.

I argued and said that we woudln't know until we tried it........and also that the "testing" I had wasn't "real life" and doesn't compare. But they thought the testing was very well in diagnosing it.

His reply "Well, its speed. Anyone can take speed and feel really good about themselves, about life and get things done. But it isn't solving the core problem. And it can end up making things worse."

Anyway, good luck.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

I tried to get my doctor to prescribe nardil or parnate or adderall xr and found no luck saying that a psychostimulant would make my condition worse since im already derailed in thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

you need to get a new doctor. i have insomnia and have had trouble sleeping since i was little and would never be able to get up on time and about a year ago i asked my doctor if i could try ambien (it was the first time i had ever asked her for any rx of any kind and i had tried all the over the counter meds) she freaked out and told me all the risks and that she'd prescribe it for one month but that was it and that i wasnt to ask for it again. thats bull****! so i asked around and made an appt with a new doctor, who i still see. shes prescribed me ambien since and i feel great.. i can fall asleep at a decent hour, sleep through the night and wake up on time. i told this new doctor when i first saw her that i need a doctor that is okay and comfortable prescribing medicine that i feel i need.. cos thats pretty much why you have a doctor right? so my suggestion is to look for a new doctor. i found this post cos im thinking about asking her about adderall.. i dont know if im ADHD but i i do have a hard time concentrating and really dont have any ambition or motivation and have gained a lot of weight and just wanna get back to my old self but im worried that if i start asking her for too much meds that she'll cut me off.
ashle916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

^pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashle916 View Post
you need to get a new doctor. i have insomnia and have had trouble sleeping since i was little and would never be able to get up on time and about a year ago i asked my doctor if i could try ambien (it was the first time i had ever asked her for any rx of any kind and i had tried all the over the counter meds) she freaked out and told me all the risks and that she'd prescribe it for one month but that was it and that i wasnt to ask for it again. thats bull****! so i asked around and made an appt with a new doctor, who i still see. shes prescribed me ambien since and i feel great.. i can fall asleep at a decent hour, sleep through the night and wake up on time. i told this new doctor when i first saw her that i need a doctor that is okay and comfortable prescribing medicine that i feel i need.. cos thats pretty much why you have a doctor right? so my suggestion is to look for a new doctor. i found this post cos im thinking about asking her about adderall.. i dont know if im ADHD but i i do have a hard time concentrating and really dont have any ambition or motivation and have gained a lot of weight and just wanna get back to my old self but im worried that if i start asking her for too much meds that she'll cut me off.
it will definitely make your insomnia ten times worse..

that sounds more like depression than ADD. are you seeking treatment and trying meds for it? wellbutrin is an anti-depressant that doesn't cause weight gain, supposedly. amphetamine is also a very temporary solution for weight loss... exercise and healthy eating is best. i thought it was great at first that on adderall i could survive on barely any food for the whole day but it eventually just ended up messing up my physical health and it took me a while to feel normal again.

adderall can work wonders for certain problems but amphetamine is still a very powerful drug and i despise that i see being promoted as the answer to how to treat SA and as a 'cure' *shudders*. yea everyone's responsible for their own bodies and such but it's not an easy drug to toy with. i'm surprised and am so thankful i'm passed that period of obsessing over the stuff, what an absolute ****ing waste.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll714 View Post
Let's see.. it's indicated for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), narcolepsy, and obesity, so if you have any of those, you're in luck. If not, your best bet is to either get it prescribed off-label (which some docs will go for, it's a matter of hit and miss), fake having ADHD (actually quite doable is you can pull it off..)...
You're not going to get amphetamines for being fat in 2009. If it was that easy, most of the population would have a script. Treating obesity isn't a generally accepted use any longer. Way back in the day when she was young, your grandmother could have gotten amphetamines if she was overweight.

You didn't mention their off-label use for depression, which I'm hoping to get amphetamines for. I'm seeing my pdoc in 37 hours -- I count down as it's not something I enjoy. Many people forget that stimulants treat depression -- that was the original use for Ritalin before they found that it made kids sit down, shut up, and study.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing to fear View Post
...adderall can work wonders for certain problems but amphetamine is still a very powerful drug and i despise that i see being promoted as the answer to how to treat SA and as a 'cure' *shudders*. yea everyone's responsible for their own bodies and such but it's not an easy drug to toy with. i'm surprised and am so thankful i'm passed that period of obsessing over the stuff, what an absolute ****ing waste.
I don't consider such drugs toys. Drugs can kill you, but then so can lack of drugs. Most of society if asked to list all the potentially fatal disorders they could think of would fail to list mental disorders. Yet mental disorders if not adequately treated can lead to suicide, the 11th leading cause of death in America. I'm sure the general public would think of death by terrorist attack long before they'd think of death by depression.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

uh yes, both can be deadly in different ways.

(by toy i meant it shouldn't be used without caution, seriousness and care.)
Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing to fear View Post

adderall can work wonders for certain problems but amphetamine is still a very powerful drug and i despise that i see being promoted as the answer to how to treat SA and as a 'cure' *shudders*. yea everyone's responsible for their own bodies and such but it's not an easy drug to toy with. i'm surprised and am so thankful i'm passed that period of obsessing over the stuff, what an absolute ****ing waste.
A waste - how so? Just curious.

Have you found a safer drug that diminishes your SA down to a tolerable level? How severe is your SA to begin with?

I've tried the typical SSRI's and benzos at many different doses and didn't experience one second of relief from my severe social anxiety. I am currently on Paxil and Adderall XR. The Paxil is used strictly for depression as I have found it (and every other typical drug) useless as a treatment for SA. The Adderall XR is used strictly for SA and I have found it to work quite well for me. I get no euphoria from it, no racing or increased anxiety either. Instead, the Adderall makes me calm, pretty much what the other drugs I tried were supposed to do. I'd certainly be open to trying something other than Adderall, but how many more years can I be expected to suffer through in an effort to find something "safer?"
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
A waste - how so? Just curious.

Have you found a safer drug that diminishes your SA down to a tolerable level? How severe is your SA to begin with?

I've tried the typical SSRI's and benzos at many different doses and didn't experience one second of relief from my severe social anxiety. I am currently on Paxil and Adderall XR. The Paxil is used strictly for depression as I have found it (and every other typical drug) useless as a treatment for SA. The Adderall XR is used strictly for SA and I have found it to work quite well for me. I get no euphoria from it, no racing or increased anxiety either. Instead, the Adderall makes me calm, pretty much what the other drugs I tried were supposed to do. I'd certainly be open to trying something other than Adderall, but how many more years can I be expected to suffer through in an effort to find something "safer?"
Why would you want something differend then adderall? if it works stay with it.

Adderall is a safe and effective treatment, if you suffer from side effects just lower the dose.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote