How do you get prescribed adderall and is it an effective long term solution? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you get prescribed adderall and is it an effective long term solution?

I have taken adderall a handful of times off script. Mainly to focus and get some urgent work done. But I did notice it has really benefited my mood and overall mental outlook for the brief times I have tried it. I am tempted to go to a doctor for a legitimate script to see how it affects me but I don't want to rely on pills for daily function.

Plus I have read stories on here that suggest that doctors are unwilling to prescribe them and is real hassle to get a script. If it is worth it I am willing to go through it but I am not sure at this point. Is adderall a good long term solution?
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Long term PRN use maybe for some with an impulsive type of ADHD for which it paradoxically sedates/calms a user instead of stimulates them like the rest of the population. As for long term daily use, it will fry every dopamine receptor in your brain. General adaptation syndrome basically states that a person can only be in override(which Addy puts you in) for so long before the body's resources are all depleted and the person enters and "exhaustion" stage where you just sorta shut down all together until given rest.

Oh and as for the getting the script part, its a lot easier to get if you have diagnosed ADHD or narcolepsy for which it is usually prescribed for
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Doctor shop until you find someone willing to write a script. This can be hard if your younger (Less than 25) but as you get older it becomes very easy to get next to anything you want.

Just present the symptoms of ADD/ADHD; very simple and pretty easy to get prescribed.

Personally I don't ever recommend speed of any type. It's just such a long and hard ride; after a few weeks your hardly yourself. And this is coming from a iv heroin user.

Being up for 4 days straight is no good, regardless of how bad your SA is.
OpiodArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unless you use it PRN. Euphoria and its effectiveness will wear down over time 1-2 weeks if used daily. Just like any med.
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay, is there another long term solution that acts similar to adderall? The euphoria is nice and all but I rather have the focus and drive aspect of it all.
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

there is no drug that you can take every day and have it magically give you motivation and energy and improve your mood. however, you can take drugs on a long term bases if you space them out and allow your body to recover between each use. of course that means you'll have to deal with life without drugs some of the time.
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I felt the same way on Adderall, in the morning it was great and could get lots of work accomplished. By the end of the day I just didn't want to talk or do anything with anyone! After switching to Zoloft I became super tired from no stimulants, but I'm gradually getting my energy back.

I tried getting them both as a combo, but no luck... blood pressure was too high!
JudasEpoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm also curious about getting prescribed adderall. i used to get it from a friend for free b/c he didn't need it much but I used to for studying & just day to day. I experience a huge problem of losing focus. I mean, I used to use it at work just to keep myself from talking so much that I did a horrible job on my task b/c i was so distracted.

anyway, i was raised in a religious family (christian science -- not scientology) and have rarely seen a doctor, once for a broken wrist & pysical for highschool football.) I work at starbucks now and have full benefits. Do I just find a psychiatrist in Orange, CA (current residency) and visit?

Thanks.
trevorbeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

believe e you will not enjoy it after taking it for a long time its fun the first couple times i completlely agree with OpiodArmor, believe me i used to come on forums like this trying to find out how to get it prescribed and used to think wow look at all these weird people saying i shouldnt. After a while it gets horrible you just dont feel real. You feel like your a robot living in a world with no emotion i wanted to kill myself. Anyway since you really seem intrested I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BECASUE IT IS A NOVELTY ITEM, I REPEAT I COMPLETELY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS but however you can order something called Bath Salts just dont OD and its the exact same thing as adderall, even better, just take small doses but i dont recommend you do it but i dont recommend you do it.
Tom90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was not officially diagnosed with adhd. My doctor said that it sounds like I have major problems with depression and anxiety with some adhd. I insisted on adhd. I received adderall for a prescription. I kind of feel like I'm abusing myself by taking this stuff, but I accomplish so much while I'm on it. Usually, it takes me moving mountains to get anywhere or accomplish anything, but adderall just snaps me out of the depression and I just do the things I need to get done. Otherwise, I'd have to give myself a pep talk, verbally abuse myself, and/or catastrophize something in order to find the motivation to do it. This process would take hours. I hardly get anything done without adderall. With it, I find I'm working about the same amount as most people seem to on a daily basis.

I've been taking it for a year. It's just about the only med that has been effective for my depression. That said, you need to take regular breaks from it or it will make you worse. Anxiety and depression will get worse. When I'm not getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and not getting exercise, it will just make my negative thoughts worse, especially if I'm not taking regular breaks.

Whenever I go off it, I tend to get very depressed and end up looking like crap, which is generally how it is when I'm not taking it anyway. Thus, it's difficult to know which state is preferable for me. Ups and downs or just downs. *sigh*

As long as I take regular breaks (1-2 days off a week) it works. It still works after taking it for a year. Sometimes it will make me anxious and sometimes it will make me extremely euphoric. Yes, I can still achieve extreme euphoric states after a year of use, without taking a large amount to get there. It seems to depend on the timing of my doses and how much I take. If I take a small dose near the end of the day, it will make me extremely euphoric. Stupidly euphoric. I avoid this as much as possible.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've been using it for about a year now. At my peak I was using 90mg-120mg a day (that was not good). Now I'm at 30mg-60mg a day. The drive it gave me went away rather quickly. This was a problem because I would just pop one, and expect to get work done. Not that easy. It still gave me a mood boost (not euphoric, more mild), but that slowly faded. Now I only use it to reduce my brain fog. I get no motivation out of it, no increase in mood, no euphoria, nothing. I don't think its a long term solution for anxiety/depression. People benefit because it increases mood and makes people more sociable. Those effects WILL fade over time if used regularly. Even if you take breaks, a tolerance will still build up over time.
wxolue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxolue View Post
Those effects WILL fade over time if used regularly. Even if you take breaks, a tolerance will still build up over time.
thats usually an indicator the person doesnt have ADHD.....i've been taking adderall for 5 years and it still works the same it did the first day and my dosage has not changed. there are a ton of other conditions which can mimic
ADHD...from depression to bipolar to as simple as allergies or lack of sleep
imrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

I remember reading posts from crazymed when browsing this forum months ago, and how adderall could help with non responders to benzos and can have a paradoxical effect for people with anxiety( actually making them feel relaxed) well after trying it i can say it did absolutely NOTHING for my social anxiety. If you respond to it thats great, and consider yourself lucky. All it did for me was make me feel like i was on the verge of having a heart attack which wasn't a good feeling if you already have anxiety problems.
AxlSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

^ hah Adderrall sometimes will put me to sleep (if the dose is low). I'm sorry it just made things worse for you. Hopefully, you'll find something that works.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

It did make me play guitar for like 8 hours straight lol but if i wasn't doing something to occupy myself i would catch myself rocking back and forth in my computer chair, or walking around in circles.
AxlSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach90 View Post
believe e you will not enjoy it after taking it for a long time its fun the first couple times i completlely agree with OpiodArmor, believe me i used to come on forums like this trying to find out how to get it prescribed and used to think wow look at all these weird people saying i shouldnt. After a while it gets horrible you just dont feel real. You feel like your a robot living in a world with no emotion i wanted to kill myself. Anyway since you really seem intrested I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BECASUE IT IS A NOVELTY ITEM, I REPEAT I COMPLETELY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS but however you can order something called Bath Salts just dont OD and its the exact same thing as adderall, even better, just take small doses but i dont recommend you do it but i dont recommend you do it.

dude you gotta take memantine with amphetamines. taking amphetamines without memantine is stupid. look up CrazyMed, he's an expert at this stuff, especialy amphetamines + memantine. it's practicaly his cure.
InTheWorldOfNiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

It is: take the same (therapeutic) dose at the same time every day.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

So many people try to alleviate the suffering caused by social anxiety
or other mental disorder by using meds or supplements... Anxiety can almost create a kind of hell
given that there are so many people who take medications despite their
side-effects, which get worse and worse as the immune systems gets weaker
because of constant usage of medications. As a matter of fact I was in the same
situation 6 months ago! I don't even want to remember that period of my life.
I struggled with social anxiety for 5 years. I had no friends and my life was
a mess. I was always anxious in front of other people.
I tried desperately to find a cure for my mental disorder. After many failed
attempts I still didn't give up. I didn't want to take medications anymore as
their side-effects continued to get worse. One night as I was searching on the
internet I found a revolutionary method that can cure any mental disorder.
And it works for any type of mental disorder, even for severe mental illnesses like bipolar disorder.
Since I had nothing to loose I decided to try this method. After 2 months I managed to cure my social anxiety and ocd!
It's really astonishing that there is such a method to cure any type of mental disorder.
You can learn more here:

Unique and Revolutionary Approach

By the way, you better give up medication as soon as you can! It has too many
side-effects.

You don't have to live with your mental disorder and take medication or supplements for the rest of your life!

You can cure your mental disorder. This method has been so simplified that anybody can learn. You only have to be open-minded and follow the advice.
And believe me, adderall won't help you. Yes, it doesn't have many side-effects. However studies have shown that it's useless to many people. Contrary to popular belief it has no effect on most people. Would you not rather use a revolutionary and unique method that works for everyone and can completely cure your mental disorder? Besides, it's far less expensive than drugs, therapies, supplements or whatever because once you learn how to cure your mental disorder you will not need any supplements or drugs. You will have this knowledge for the rest of your life. This method is the only natural and effective way to completely cure your mental disorder. It teaches you how to get in touch with your unconscious mind, which is better than any doctor. You only have to be open-minded.

I am going to leave the forum, too. I'm free from anxiety like many others.
As a matter of fact, nobody posts here anymore.
Since I don't suffer from social anxiety and depression anymore I am going to begin a new life.

You should not miss the opportunity to use this method. You have nothing to loose. Don't be like those people who choose to spend the rest of their life talking about medication and therapies.
cazmayov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach90 View Post
Bath salts? are you serious? You ain't recomending that **** over Adderal, that's just insane. Bath Salts are like the kings of psychosis and has some of the hardest comedowns ever, I wouldn't touch it even in the tiniest of doses.

I was on Concerta for about three years between the age of 12-17, took it everyday. I can't say it has made my life any worse, but hell, it does work for certain people, I'ts not completley useless, the only thing is that people abuse more then they are prescribed to stay up sever nights in a row, thats speed binging.

But you gotta be prepared for some odd side effects, and maybe only use it on a need to basis.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Don't take bath salts!

For everyone out there: Do not try or take bath salts. It is extremely unpredictable and dangerous and people have died after taking it once. It is easy to overdose from it. Plus, just so people can be aware, in June 2012 bath salt became completely illegal in the U.S., schedule 1.
openminded is offline   Reply With Quote