X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 11-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default High sensitivity to meds

so any meds I take effect me extremely. So my psychiatrist says there aren't many options left, he was suggesting just to do the therapy. I don't like meds anyway but my social anxiety is really ruining my life. Here is what I tried paroxetine, gabapentin, geodon. Now i'm gonna take risperidone at .25 mg the lowest ever.
korsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsier View Post
so any meds I take effect me extremely. So my psychiatrist says there aren't many options left, he was suggesting just to do the therapy. I don't like meds anyway but my social anxiety is really ruining my life. Here is what I tried paroxetine, gabapentin, geodon. Now i'm gonna take risperidone at .25 mg the lowest ever.

Try taking Lexapro 10 mg. Get a pill cutter and cut it into a 1/4. Take that for a week or two / or up to a month - then start taking 5 mg. It may be all you need. Thats what happened with me. After a lot of trial and error I learned I needed to start low and go slow.

The 10 mg pill can be easily split in half by hand. So, just get the 10mg as that is what they start ppl at anyway. But being sensitive you have to be more careful. This makes any side effects a LOT more tolerable. You'll save money this way too.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsier View Post
You indicate that you have SA. Is that your only mental problem? If all you have is SA that's a mighty strange choice of meds for your doctor to put you on. The SSRI (Paxil) would be a standard first line treatment, but an anti-convulsant and two anti-psychotics seems just plain ridiculous without you either having other conditions to treat or having tried other more likely choices first. If you have anxiety, a benzo would be a most obvious choice, except to docs who suffer from benzo-phobia and prefer to throw all sorts of odd, expensive, and generally useless meds at their patient instead of growing a set of balls and daring to prescribe a controlled substance when indicated.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Did the doc say why he chose to put you on the antipsychotics if you feel SA is your main prob. Do you get a lot of head chatter?
quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

It doesn't really surprise me. I've had a psychiatrist put me on Seroquel once to see if that would help me with my SA. It didn't though. Just made me feel like crap and really dizzy in mornings. It seems antipsychotics are pushed more by psychs these days as an "unconventional" approach, as that pysch said to me.

But to be fair, I don't know the O.P. and do not know if he does indeed really have symptoms of schizophrenia or anything.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't hear voices, I don't have problems like that. I have to think alot all day long about everything, and my moods shift alot with my thinking also. I do think he is antibenzo. I do have SA, I do have depression, he's talking about delusional thinking too and he's saying also paranoia. This paranoia is from me thinking that everyone is judging me and that I can't trust people. I don't feel like people are after me and I'm sure as cookies that I can't trust people is because lets face it people are all about themselves and don't think much about peoples feelings. So now it's down to delusional thinking, thats what my tests are showing, the only thing I can think of is my imagination, I day dream alot. I am really thinking about going to another psychiatrist but keeping my psychologist, he seems to be very good and as the more I talk with him the more he is understanding things clearly, that testing can't connect all the dots.
korsier is offline   Reply With Quote