Has anyone tried Rozerem and how does it compare to Ambien, Lunesta or others? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Has anyone tried Rozerem and how does it compare to Ambien, Lunesta or others?

All my sleep aids, rx or herbal that work to some extent leave me groggy the next morning. If it's tablet that I can split, I find just the right dosage to make me sleep but it still leave me groggy. Any less and it doesn't help enough. Rozerem is supposedly non-habit forming and I thought maybe therefore not cause grogginess. Has anyone tried Rozerem and how does it compare to Ambien, Lunesta or others? Sometimes I just take some Xanax also but it also makes me groggy. Lately I just take sleep RX, which has melatonin and yep. Groggy. So how is Rozerem? Groggy or not?
rickthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I tried some Rozerem samples a few years ago. It didn't do anything. It was less effective than over the counter melatonin tablets, which is funny considering Rozerem acts on melatonin receptors. OTC melatonin gives me a headache, but at least it helps me get to sleep (sometimes, lol).

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Entirely different. It's basically the same as taking melatonin supplements. The difference is it increases your sensitivity to melatonin your body is producing instead of just adding more melatonin. Potentially useful for people with certain sleep disorders and in the elderly where melatonin is not being registered properly by the body. Other than that it's generally useless. If it does do anything it will only enhance your natural feeling of tiredness and is unlikely to make you groggy the next day. It's also going to be rather weak as far as sleep meds go. You'd get more effect from otc melatonin unless like I said you have certain disorders that make the receptors not register melatonin levels properly.

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the responses. I didn't know it acted like melatonin. Good to know. ^ rocknroll, I hear you about the depressive effects. I only resort to pills after a few consecutive days of not sleeping well because I risk becoming depressed. On Friday night I took about 1/3 of a herbal pill with various things in it, including "N-Acetyl-5-Methoxytryptamine", which googled out to be melatonin. 1/3 of a pill even though it says to take two whole pills and I am barely coming out of my grogginess this morning--two days after I took the pill. Rozerem, if it has a longer half-life would be worse I guess? I should mention that I need sleep pills mostly to keep me sleeping. Before that I used to have the type of insomnia where I couldn't get to sleep, but now I seem to wake up at 3:00 AM. I usually go back to sleep an hour later--or not-- but it's not the same as getting 8+ hours of more or less continuous sleep. Although sometimes, I cannot get to sleep so I take Xanax. I take Wellbutrin also which of course does not help with getting sleep. I dunno, I guess if my doctor has samples or if he could just Rx me 1 or 2 since I have to pay out of pocket I might try some Rozerem on a weekend or something. If I ever do get my hands on some maybe I'll post my results here.
rickthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote