Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By kehcorpz

Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Has anyone made the switch from Lexapro to Wellbutrin?

I've been hearing and reading a lot of things that suggest it might be a better fit for my mild depression and chronic anxiety. But I worry about side effects from coming off the Lexapro (been on it for 10 years but only a 10mg dose/day). And I'm wondering how effective Wellbutrin seems to be when compared to people taking Lexapro. Any feedback is very much appreciated. I'm getting no results from my current regimine and I wouldn't mind trying something new.
path0gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Why don't you try taking them together? A dri/nri like wellbutrin can probably make lexapro 2 or 3 times more effective causes it hitting all the major monomines. But if you do decides too come off the lexapro a taper and a washout period maybe warrented befor beginning wellbutrin. As a withdrawal sydrome from the lexapro will make starting up on the wellbutrin way worst .
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

But wouldn't the benefits of the Wellbutrin counter the withdrawlas of the Lexapro? I remember switching from Paxil to Lexapro without any problems.
path0gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by path0gen View Post
But wouldn't the benefits of the Wellbutrin counter the withdrawlas of the Lexapro? I remember switching from Paxil to Lexapro without any problems.
That's probably because they are in the same class (ssri's), wellbutrin and lexapro are not. Wellbutrin also is terrible for anything anxiety-related, just saying!
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Possible side effect

I didn't make a direct switch from Lexapro to Wellbutrin, however I was on Lexapro in the past and had no issues stopping it. I was put on Wellbutrin earlier this year for depression and 3-4 weeks later my anxiety was through the roof and was back to having several panic attacks a day and had no idea why. The next time I saw my physc. she immediatley took me off the Wellbutrin due to this being a fairly common side effect for people who also suffer from severe anxiety. Medications do effect everyone differently. Be sure to talk to your Doctor or Phyc. about this possible side effect especially if your anxiety is severe.

Best wishes,
John
JohnDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am on 150mg zoloft and 300mg wellbutrin. I was on Zoloft and Remeron before and I basically switched straight to Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin + SSRI = superior therapy.
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by path0gen View Post
I've been hearing and reading a lot of things that suggest it might be a better fit for my mild depression and chronic anxiety. But I worry about side effects from coming off the Lexapro (been on it for 10 years but only a 10mg dose/day). And I'm wondering how effective Wellbutrin seems to be when compared to people taking Lexapro. Any feedback is very much appreciated. I'm getting no results from my current regimine and I wouldn't mind trying something new.
The two meds work on different monomines. Wellbutrin is a NE inhibitor and releaser and to a lesser extent with DA. With no appreciable effects on 5HT receptors. So, lexapro specifically targets 5HT as a reuptake inhibitor. Wellbutrin is sometimes not tolerated well by those with SAD because it works from the release of it's active metabolites that in turn increase norepinephrine, which can cause irritability, agitation, or nervousness in some. But it will help get you going if you are experiencing an apathetic type of depression. It also has a similar effect on dopamine receptors.

It is commonly combined with an SSRI like lexapro to curb the notorious side effects of the SRI's. Increasing sex drive and decreasing the apathy and weight gain that can be caused by SSRI's. It's a very common poly-med combo!
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
The two meds work on different monomines. Wellbutrin is a NE inhibitor and releaser and to a lesser extent with DA. With no appreciable effects on 5HT receptors. So, lexapro specifically targets 5HT as a reuptake inhibitor. Wellbutrin is sometimes not tolerated well by those with SAD because it works from the release of it's active metabolites that in turn increase norepinephrine, which can cause irritability, agitation, or nervousness in some. But it will help get you going if you are experiencing an apathetic type of depression. It also has a similar effect on dopamine receptors.

It is commonly combined with an SSRI like lexapro to curb the notorious side effects of the SRI's. Increasing sex drive and decreasing the apathy and weight gain that can be caused by SSRI's. It's a very common poly-med combo!
I think this is why the term "welloft" came to be. Because Zoloft is an inhibitor of cyp2b6 enzyme. This allows more of the active bupropion chemical to build up in the system instead of turning it into hydroxybupropion. I definitely feel more of the dopamine effect as I've taken bromocriptine in the past and can compare. It definitely doesn't stop all of the conversion but from my own experience it is definitely activating less norepinephrine and I just feel damn good. My doc said he has had a lot of good experiences with this combo and others do not give such great results when combined with Wellbutrin.
metamorphosis likes this.
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote