Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts

Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default gabapentin vs pregabalin

What's the difference between pregabalin-lyrica and gabapentin-neurontin?
giova88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

As far as I know pregabalin is the more potent succesor of gabapentin, both have the same mechanism of action though.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

and do they work against anxiety?
giova88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well pregabalin is approved to treat generalized anxiety disorder in europe so I would assume they do.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Both are anti-convulsants. Lyrica may be similar in structure to Gabapentin but it has totally different effects IMO. I just started Gabapentin 300mg. I'm going to double my dose every week till I reach 2000mg+
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
Both are anti-convulsants. Lyrica may be similar in structure to Gabapentin but it has totally different effects IMO. I just started Gabapentin 300mg. I'm going to double my dose every week till I reach 2000mg+
i started at 1600mg w/ no problems. tried lower doses but they were uneffective
podizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Pregabalin (Lyrica) works on glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) enzyme. Which in turns glutamate into GABA.
Gabapentin (Neurontin) works by stabilizing electrical activity in the brain. It inhibits excitatory neurotransmitters through voltage calcium channels.It is thought to mimic the activity of GABA. Pregabalin is structurally similar to GABA.Therefore calming nerve activity in the brain. It does not affect GABA in any way . It is not a GABA agonist and is not an inhibitor of GABA uptake or degradation. It also has a reputation for pooping out quickly; even at the highest doses that are considered safe.

There is still alot to learn about how these drugs work in the brain!
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
MBL

pregabalin > gabapentin

Pregabalin is superior.

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (Canada)
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pregabalin was brought in as a more potent sucessor to Gabapentin. Both work on the GABA receptors, while it doesn't bind directly to them it does increase GABA levels in the brain hence their names PreGABAlin and GABApentin. Pregabalin takes a few weeks to get going but once it get's into your system properly and your body's adjusted to it it's very effective at combating anxiety, maybe even more so than a benzo's? certainly long term I would think anyway. It's pretty awesome stuff.
ZeroG64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
MBL

I have been on both and I think gabapentin is pretty lame compared to pregabalin, which seems much more effective in every aspect.

Plus gabapentin made me feel weird and pregabalin doesn't have that problem and seems to be better tolerated while doing a better job.

It's pricey but worth it. And it's even better when mixed with other anti-anxiety or sedative medication. Clonazepam goes excellent with it.

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (Canada)
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

I get 600mg lyrica a day, recently I ran out before I could refill(today I get it) and was able to get a script to neurontin to avoid possible withdrawl and pregabalin is in a different class, gabapentin is lacking the anxiety and calming effects very prominent with lyrica, although food affects lyrica very much, also I take clonazepam and the synergy effect is non existent to me with neurontin. In my experience with gaba/anxiety reducing drug, a common side effect shared by benzo's/pregabalin is dry mouth. Not that this is a great feeling, but shows its working, again non existant @ 4grams gabapentin. Also, not only has lyrica solved my partial seizure/nerve problems, but has made me almost unbelievably social and open. This is my personal experience with these two medications. I see why lyrica is a controlled substance, it has abuse potential, not like nitrazepam, but certainly more useful and a great medication.
lethys412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lyrica has an horrible tolerance, unfortunately.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Lyrica has an horrible tolerance, unfortunately.
Also to the mood stabilising effects?

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Lyrica has hallucinogenic properties at doses exceeding 1200mg. Only problem is that I couldn't pee at that dose and had to go to the ER for a catheter lol!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

i cannot find where i have read it but gabapentin have some action on serotonin which pregabalin doesnt (but both do something with dopamine), and gabapentin felt better for me
but dont take this seriously i would like to find that document

when i was on amp and lyrica i saw every car in street as a human ^^
baranok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
Lyrica has hallucinogenic properties at doses exceeding 1200mg. Only problem is that I couldn't pee at that dose and had to go to the ER for a catheter lol!
Seriously??!!! Did you have any peeing issues at lower doses?
(I ask because I have prostate issues and am thinking of giving Lyrica a whirl.)
Krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
Seriously??!!! Did you have any peeing issues at lower doses?
(I ask because I have prostate issues and am thinking of giving Lyrica a whirl.)
wont be a problem as they dont prescribe anything really above 400mg a day...
Krom likes this.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Old 03-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well, I did 3 weeks of Neurontin, with an ending dosage of 300 mg 3x daily. It helped somewhat with the socal anxiety, and only marginally with the generalized stuff.
Some of the side effects were pretty annoying- especially the cognitive slowing. The hypomania was unpleasant, but manageable. A funny note: I have always prided myself on my ability to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I'm talking about. Not so much on Nerontin, as it made be both dumb as a sack of hammers and unusually talkative at the same time
Talked my doc into letting me d/c the Neurontin and go 3 weeks on Lyrica. I will compare the 2 drugs and which ever one proves to be best for me I will stick with that med.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
Well, I did 3 weeks of Neurontin, with an ending dosage of 300 mg 3x daily. It helped somewhat with the socal anxiety, and only marginally with the generalized stuff.
Some of the side effects were pretty annoying- especially the cognitive slowing. The hypomania was unpleasant, but manageable. A funny note: I have always prided myself on my ability to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I'm talking about. Not so much on Nerontin, as it made be both dumb as a sack of hammers and unusually talkative at the same time
Talked my doc into letting me d/c the Neurontin and go 3 weeks on Lyrica. I will compare the 2 drugs and which ever one proves to be best for me I will stick with that med.
so how does it compare with regard to the cognitive impairments?
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
so how does it compare with regard to the cognitive impairments?
I would say the Lyrica has given me about half the cognitive impairment that the Neurontin did. It was the same at first, but after a couple of weeks it started wearing down a bit.