Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts

Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fluoxetine and Alcohol

I am taking Fluoxetine (20mg/day) and the "patient information leaflet" that came with the pills says "avoid alcohol".

Now, when I was on Metronidazole, I got a warning from the GP about not drinking alcohol while I was on it, another warning from the pharmacist, and the patient information leaflet said "WARNING! DO NOT CONSUME ALCOHOLIC DRINKS WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICINE! IF YOU HAVE CONSUMED ALCOHOL WHILE ON THIS MEDICINE TELL YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!"

None of this happened when I was given Fluoxetine, no warnings or anything, and the gentle "avoid alcohol" is just written in normal lettering. So does that mean that, actually, drinking small amounts of alcohol while I am on it won't do me much harm?

Hypothetically, if I were to consume very large amounts of alcohol quickly in a short space of time while I was on the drug, what would happen?
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Alcohol is fine with fluoxetine, in some people ssri's can cause sedation which is why they reccomend avoiding it, the only reason there is such a severe warning with metronidazole is because it can cause tachycardia.
Ash09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I am taking Fluoxetine (20mg/day) and the "patient information leaflet" that came with the pills says "avoid alcohol".

Now, when I was on Metronidazole, I got a warning from the GP about not drinking alcohol while I was on it, another warning from the pharmacist, and the patient information leaflet said "WARNING! DO NOT CONSUME ALCOHOLIC DRINKS WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICINE! IF YOU HAVE CONSUMED ALCOHOL WHILE ON THIS MEDICINE TELL YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!"

None of this happened when I was given Fluoxetine, no warnings or anything, and the gentle "avoid alcohol" is just written in normal lettering. So does that mean that, actually, drinking small amounts of alcohol while I am on it won't do me much harm?

Hypothetically, if I were to consume very large amounts of alcohol quickly in a short space of time while I was on the drug, what would happen?
Hypothetically if you were to drink on Prozac, not that much would happen except washing out the AD. You might also get drunk quicker, although I never really saw that. I always found with drinking that it was like I was just setting back my good response to Prozac, which makes sense since alcohol is a depressant.
db0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

It says avoid alcohol on almost all medication.

~ Nick Cave
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

DO NOT DRINK ON PROZAC

negates all effects of the drug
Raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I couldn't drink a lot at one time on prozac. when i was on i might have had a glass of wine and i would get drunk really fast and feel like crap the next day.
Giovanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

I can only speak from experience here because it's different for each individual, but I really wouldn't recommend it. Prozac made me feel pretty bad anyway, but combined with alcohol I spent what was supposed to be a fun evening with friends in tears, feeling suicidal and completely detached from everyone. I never want to feel like that again. I know that probably sounds scary but I just wanted to tell you, since I consider you a friend Will reply to PM soon.
tutliputli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

this is a bit off topic, as moclobemide obviously isn't related to prozac, but I just remembered that I used to get an absolutly bizarre reaction whenever I combined moclobemide with alcohol.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you to everyone who has posted - the advice and anecdotes have been very helpful and are much appreciated
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Very bad mix. You can black out after a few drinks and act like a total ***.
TheWhiteGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

I will admit, that during the pretty short time I was on this, I did drink a little alcohol. But deliberately only stuck to a moderate amount. Something along the lines of a can and a half of beer during one evening when I was seeing a couple of friends. Seeing as the drug hadn't yet had any effect on me by that point anyway, I decided to take the risk. Was absolutely fine after. If I was still on the drug though (which now I'm not) it's not the kind of thing I'd make a regular habit of doing though.
Black_Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Not a good combo. The alcohol can interact with it seriously to cause extreme reactions. So maybe cutting back is a good idea for the time being at least =)
silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have drunk heavily twice while on prozac and both times i've had panic attacks around 2 days after the drinking, one was straight depressed/anxiety and the other was a strange mixed episode of elation and anxiety

has anyone else had this experience?
I think I need to stay sober for a little bit because i know i should be looking out for possible developing hypomania or bipolar symptoms but it's hard to tell what's causing what if there's other chemicals interacting there
spirit02rider likes this.
aronf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronf13 View Post
I have drunk heavily twice while on prozac and both times i've had panic attacks around 2 days after the drinking, one was straight depressed/anxiety and the other was a strange mixed episode of elation and anxiety

I think I need to stay sober for a little bit because i know i should be looking out for possible developing hypomania or bipolar symptoms but it's hard to tell what's causing what if there's other chemicals interacting there
Yeah I got that too, for some reason alcohol seems to start panic attacks. Especially, a while after the drinking, like a day or two. Not good and takes a while to recover.
db0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutliputli View Post
I can only speak from experience here because it's different for each individual, but I really wouldn't recommend it. Prozac made me feel pretty bad anyway, but combined with alcohol I spent what was supposed to be a fun evening with friends in tears, feeling suicidal and completely detached from everyone. I never want to feel like that again. I know that probably sounds scary but I just wanted to tell you, since I consider you a friend Will reply to PM soon.
Exactly how alcohol made me feel while taking Zoloft and Celexa. It seemed to bring up every negative emotion and I would turn into a crying mess while drinking! Not sure about an SSRI or SNRI but alcohol can act with benzos and decrease your heart rate until the point of cardiac arrest.

Kaley

www.anxiouskaley.com Offering experience and hope to myself and others with anxiety
anxiousgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default issues

The main issue with drinking alcohol with SSRI's, and almost any other medication is that they are both metabolized in your liver. Drugs like SSRI's can be very hard on your liver, and so is alcohol. Mixing the two together increases the chances that you may damage it. Booze, like SSRI's are a recent invention and our bodies have had little time to evolve a healthy response to them.
cens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

I take that fluoxetine at 20mg per day and I take Xanax 1mg too. I drink on it but i dont drink really heavy.

Just like 3-4 beer worth and im pretty messed up. Prozac seems to lower tolerance to other drugs significantly.

Also if you drink heavily you risk "washing out" the prozac as alcohol speeds up the metabolism of SSRI's. This presents one hellish nightmare of a hangover the next morning.
Himi Jendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have been on Fluxotine for over 2 years now. 4 months ago I had a relapse and started drinking daily. At first their was no problem, now I am back to where I was before I was put on the medication. In other words you can drink, you can go on a complete bender of a night and not worry.. Just do not drink daily because I am telling you for a fact it stops it working.. I admit I have a problem with alcohol, I always have had but i desperately look for a way to stop drinking again, because the 2 do not mix long term, hope this helps
lawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

A friend linked me this, just thought I would respond. Again SPEAK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.

I have been on prozac since I was 16, im 25 now, and I have always had alcohol regularly with it. Again regularly is 2 to 3 times per week, I am a 25 year old 6ft, 220 lb male as well.

I was also on zyprexa with it for a period of 2 years and I am off that as well. But for the 9 years I have been on medication, I have been a social drinker I have noticed absolutely nothing as an issue.

My doctor knows how much I drink, never lie to your doctor, and says it is fine as long as I do not to drive and that goes to anyone who drinks period. he also said because everyone has a different body chemistry it may make some people more drowsy, or others that do not agree with alcohol to begin with may be worse. But I have personally been okay with it. So If you drank before, I would stay on the meds 3 to 6 months just to make sure they agree with you and work first before u have a drink.(although I did not ><)

Fluoxetine is recommended, although it is techincally not a brand new generation ssri such as abilify, because it works for so many and has such a low contradiction level. Unless you are doing things like mushrooms or ecstacy which can easily make you go into serotonin syndrome since it dumps it into your brain (and I even have friends that have taken those things on it, their nuts, please do not do those things period with a mental disorder), generally most things agree quite well with the drug.

The misconception is people who say alcohol is a depressant, and prozac is an antidepressant is an invalid argument. Prozac is an ssri CLASSIFIED as an ANTIDEPRESSANT. It is used for many other things but when it comes down to it, it is what it is, a "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor". You may have some issue with taking alcohol with it, effecting your GABA receptors, but most will not, people who take xanax and prozac together will have more of an issue than a social drinker having a beer with friends.

Sidenote: 30 million people in the US take an antidepressant, 315 million take some sort of prescription drug. To think that none of them make mixtures worse than prozac and beer is naive, just be careful and tell your doctor of your social activity, you have no one better to trust.

Hope I helped some confused individuals, and ALWAYS consult your doctor!!

Thanks,

magic1557
Magic1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Prozac and vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronf13 View Post

I've only started prozac, I've been on my first night out since I started them - I drank quite a lot but no more than I usually do on a night out.

I usually struggle to feel the effect of alcohol whilst I drink it but get terrible hang overs.

Well I got extremely drunk on an amount of alcohol I can usually handle, I was in an alright mood, not low or anything, next day I was a little sick (as usual with my hangovers) but the day after (never had a two day hangover) I fainted, took a minor panic attack, couldn't eat...

The only side effect I've noticed since taking them normally is the loss of appetite so I don't know if this has added to the fainting episode.

I've had a beer and a few drinks at home and felt no bad effects except falling asleep.

I will most likely have another night where I test it and have a lot to drink but if the same happens again - I know I will be off it.
hanzy is offline   Reply With Quote