Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By Oioioi123

Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First 2 weeks on an ssri/snri?

First off for the record NEVER ever will another ssri/snri enter my body in my lifetime, ive went through a bunch of them and they are complete and utter ****, garbage medicine(for me) that seems to work for a very small amount of the population .

Anyway, that aside i was curious about something. Let me explain my first 2 weeks on any ssri/snri i took. Most notible thing is MASSIVE pupils, like cant even see any of the color in my eye kind of dilated. Extreme nervous energy that translated to severe crippling anxiety. aggitation, insomnia and the list goes on. Just a horrid horrid feeling, ive been through severe opiate withdrawal many times and the first 2 weeks of an ssri are right up there with it.

My question(s) are, does everyone experience this? and if not does it mean anything? someone told me its a manic phase that quite often bi-polar people experience. I have never thought about myself as bipolar until this comment and also my last visit with a psych, she kinda grilled me about bi-polarism, made me feel out a few questionairs and seemed to stay on the subject a long time, its like from what i explained to her and my answers she thought i might be at least mildly bipolar but didnt wanna come right out and say it if that makes sense, i almost felt like if i opened up to the subject and said "well do you think theres a possibility i might be bi-polar?" that the answer would have been yes.

Then again maybe im overthinking... like i always do Lol

Oh and BTW i didnt really get this response at all on an maoi, maybe very slightly and for a short period of time when i went to a high dose but i wouldnt call it unpleasant. thoughts?
Oioioi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've had the same experience with SSRI's/SNRI's. I've been on 6 and they have all made me worse, yet all the pdoc's I see keep insisting that taking one of the SSRI's I've already been on and has already failed me is the only course of treatment. But Yeah, every SSRI I have been on I have had a similar experience while waiting to see if they work. SSRI's seemed to really make me bipolar. While taking them I would go through cycles where I would be unable to sleep for 2 weeks, be manic, paranoid, delusional and irrational, then spend about two weeks in a terrible depression, barely getting out of bed. And then the cycle would start again.

I have always noticed a slight cyclical nature to my moods, noticing myself a bit depressed for a few days, then a few weeks later being more manic for a few days. So I think the SSRI's really aggravated that aspect of my psyche.

I too refuse to ever take this type of medication again, unfortunately I can't find a psychiatrist who is willing to consider any treatment besides prescribing an SSRI which has already not only not worked but made my condition worse.

I have wondered if I might have some mild bipolar, my dad does and my brother did (before he committed suicide). I always give this info to p-docs and they just seem to ignore it and don't think of perhaps treating me for bipolar. I'm desperate for some help too, I don't really care what my diagnosis may or may not be I just want some help.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

interesting, this is something that has really peaked my curiosity. especially because i have seen a few threads where people said they felt amazing at the start on ssri's then it kinda smoothed out, which for me i cant fathom cause for me the first few weeks were utter hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
I've had the same experience with SSRI's/SNRI's. I've been on 6 and they have all made me worse, yet all the pdoc's I see keep insisting that taking one of the SSRI's I've already been on and has already failed me is the only course of treatment. But Yeah, every SSRI I have been on I have had a similar experience while waiting to see if they work. SSRI's seemed to really make me bipolar. While taking them I would go through cycles where I would be unable to sleep for 2 weeks, be manic, paranoid, delusional and irrational, then spend about two weeks in a terrible depression, barely getting out of bed. And then the cycle would start again.

I have always noticed a slight cyclical nature to my moods, noticing myself a bit depressed for a few days, then a few weeks later being more manic for a few days. So I think the SSRI's really aggravated that aspect of my psyche.

I too refuse to ever take this type of medication again, unfortunately I can't find a psychiatrist who is willing to consider any treatment besides prescribing an SSRI which has already not only not worked but made my condition worse.

I have wondered if I might have some mild bipolar, my dad does and my brother did (before he committed suicide). I always give this info to p-docs and they just seem to ignore it and don't think of perhaps treating me for bipolar. I'm desperate for some help too, I don't really care what my diagnosis may or may not be I just want some help.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

I experienced the unpleasant nervous energy with every one of these drugs I tried. I didn't feel manic or hypomanic in the way most people describe those moods, but instead it was anxiety, agitation, and insomnia. It would come over me within the first day of starting one of these drugs, except for Prozac which took 2-3 days to produce these side effects.

I will never take one of these drugs again either, and luckily a doctor I am currently seeing is not trying to ram the whole SSRI-SNRI fanaticism down my throat. Many doctors appear brainwashed into using nothing except these drugs, I suppose because there are less risks than with other types of antidepressants.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Compared with most people on these forums, I tolerate SSRIs rather well. Having no side effects, or side effects that are very mild is the norm. I was a bit depressed for the first week of starting prozac, but besides that I can't say I know what you're going through.
wxolue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oioioi123 View Post
First off for the record NEVER ever will another ssri/snri enter my body in my lifetime, ive went through a bunch of them and they are complete and utter ****, garbage medicine(for me) that seems to work for a very small amount of the population .

Anyway, that aside i was curious about something. Let me explain my first 2 weeks on any ssri/snri i took. Most notible thing is MASSIVE pupils, like cant even see any of the color in my eye kind of dilated. Extreme nervous energy that translated to severe crippling anxiety. aggitation, insomnia and the list goes on. Just a horrid horrid feeling, ive been through severe opiate withdrawal many times and the first 2 weeks of an ssri are right up there with it.

My question(s) are, does everyone experience this? and if not does it mean anything? someone told me its a manic phase that quite often bi-polar people experience. I have never thought about myself as bipolar until this comment and also my last visit with a psych, she kinda grilled me about bi-polarism, made me feel out a few questionairs and seemed to stay on the subject a long time, its like from what i explained to her and my answers she thought i might be at least mildly bipolar but didnt wanna come right out and say it if that makes sense, i almost felt like if i opened up to the subject and said "well do you think theres a possibility i might be bi-polar?" that the answer would have been yes.

Then again maybe im overthinking... like i always do Lol

Oh and BTW i didnt really get this response at all on an maoi, maybe very slightly and for a short period of time when i went to a high dose but i wouldnt call it unpleasant. thoughts?
i thought you're on nardil??
upndownboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Standard SSRI startup stuff. Anything that boosts neurotransmitters is going to give mania-like symptoms initially.
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
that seems to work for a very small amount of the population
subjective opinion based on relatively limited evidence....sorry but these meds work wonders for others, even saving their lives.....the problem is you dont hear about the millions whom are happy with them...you only hear about those that arent and come forward to rant.....
imrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upndownboi View Post
i thought you're on nardil??
I am and it's working awesome, that's why I stated that I would never touch another ssri and that maoi's didn't effect me this way. This was strictly a question of curiosity.

Lmrj that's fine, we have different opinions but that's not the basis or question of this thread and I don't wanna turn it into a ssri debate.
Konami likes this.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I am and it's working awesome, that's why I stated that I would never touch another ssri and that maoi's didn't effect me this way. This was strictly a question of curiosity.

Lmrj that's fine, we have different opinions but that's not the basis or question of this thread and I don't wanna turn it into a ssri debate.
How long u been taking Nardil any different side effects?
linmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
ah apologies, mis-read
upndownboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Increased anxiety is very common when starting SSRIs but, like you said, bi-polar people will be bouncing off the walls when on an SSRI.

Actually, SSRIs have a very good track record. About 75% of those that take them are helped by them. But they are not for everybody, obviously.

--- Thomas Jefferson
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote