Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Effexor225mg + Valium5mg - But do i need a stronger benzo??

992 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  WhiteWings 
#1 ·
Hi, i'm jus wonderin if sum ppl could help me with there thoughts about my situation. i hav social anxiety & hav a really hard time interacting with ppl. The worst thing is i pretty much can't look at ppl while i talk 2 them & if i do it's 4 a second b4 i hav 2 look away or down, and if i was walking into a supermarket, i wouldn't even b able to look up at all bcos of all the ppl. my head would b straight down or i'll pretend 2 b typing on my fone. i definetly can't go out to clubs or pubs on the w/ends n can't meet new ppl. i've also distanced myself frm family (neva a close family anyway) and only retained my closest friends. In saying that, i AM able 2 hold down a job driving a tow truck & i AM able 2 get through life, although constantly finding ways 2 avoid ppl/events etc. I see a GP & a phsycologist.

That's where i'm at anxiety wise. My GP just bumped me up to 225mg Effexor XR p/day, and i like the drug cos it does help reduce my fear of social/public situations. but the valium's is a different story.

There 5mg Valiums & 2 b takin as needed b4 a hard social event. n i gotta say these things are ****. Even after taking two, i dnt feel relaxed, i dnt feel sedated at all, i dnt feel tired,calm or any less anxious & all in all i dnt feel any different 2 b4 originally taking em. If i take a couple b4 tackling sumthin social (ie, dinna @ g/f's family's house) i'm still flippin out ova the situation n wanting 2 leave. Do i need a stronger benzo?? :stu

Lorazepam is apparently stronger than valium (diazepam), and Clonazepam even stronger still. And i think Xanax even stronger again. Should i be on these? Valium's seem like skittles 2 me, n i think nex time i tackle a hard situation i'm jus gunna down like 4 or 5 of these piss weak things. :con

i'm bit worried my doc won't believe me, and is gunna think i'm just chasin the harder type benzo's so i can abuse em.

Sorry it's such a novel, it's my 1st post n this is kinda the only thing i need help wit

See less See more
#2 ·
you dont need a stronger benzo, you just need a higher dose. 5mgs of valium is pathetic kiddy size dose. Btw Welcome to SAS!

#4 ·
Noca said:
5mgs of valium is pathetic kiddy size dose.
They come in 2 mg as well -- that's what the docs hand out when they really just want to give a placebo.

I agree with Noca that a higher dose should be tried before giving up and changing to another benzo. Valium comes in 3 sizes: 2, 5, & 10 mg.

It's not really that any benzo is stronger than another, unless you measure on a per mg basis which means nothing. It just means that a large mg amount of Valium is needed to get the same effect as some other benzos produce with less mgs.

I get 2 mg tablets of Xanax, which most equivalency charts would say is equal to 20 mg of Valium. I've used several hundred tablets of Valium in years past and I'd say that sounds about right.

I remember my first benzo experience. It was the summer of 2000 and I finally took a 5 mg Valium. It was the most anti-climactic experience possible. I might as well have taken nothing. I was expecting something dramatic. After all Valium is legendary, and you generally need a crowbar to pry a prescription from the fist of a doctor. Docs hold onto benzos the way Charlton Heston held a gun -- "out of my cold dead hands!"

#5 ·
UltraShy said:
I remember my first benzo experience. It was the summer of 2000 and I finally took a 5 mg Valium. It was the most anti-climactic experience possible. I might as well have taken nothing. I was expecting something dramatic. After all Valium is legendary, and you generally need a crowbar to pry a prescription from the fist of a doctor. Docs hold onto benzos the way Charlton Heston held a gun -- "out of my cold dead hands!"
lol, that's the funniest s--t i've heard all wk. ok, i didn't realise all benzo's were basically the same. i'll down like 4 nex time n see how i go. the idea is 2 feel relaxed, sumwat sedated yea? :yes :no

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.