X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Effexor is making me so tired.

In addition to the .5 Xanax i've been on all year my psychiatrist has switched me from Zoloft 100MG to Effexor XR 75MG.

I can't say my experience has been good. For one I don't feel any different which I suppose is normal since i've only been on the med a week. The problem is i'm sleeping like 18-20 hours a day. LITERALLY.

I've read on Wikipedia and other sites that somnolence is one of the most common side effects of Effexor but I never thought it would be this bad. I just can't stop sleeping. I wake up and go right back to sleep. It's like I just can't stay awake. Zoloft made me tired and I felt like zombie but I wasn't sleeping all day long. I can down 3 Xanax a day and not feel a thing but Effexor just knocks me out.

Has anyone else taken this med and had a similar experience? I'm going to try stopping since it has only been a week. I really don't care what my doctor thinks. I can't deal with sleeping almost the entire day. That certainly isn't normal.
ThePHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi! Was on Paxil 40mg for 7 years and felt great the whole time...then I got pregnant and had my son & my chemical makeup must have changed because my body would not tollerate it any more. So w my doc put me on 75mg of effexor. I wasn't feel great but I felt a little better then it sort of plateaued. She bumped me up to 150mg and every since I have been struggling with major fatigue and constant sleepiness. Its insane. I have a 2 year old to chase after & all I want to do is sleep. Its debilitating. I go to see my doc tomorrow to discuss what to do. I will keep ya posted.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Talking Effexor makes me tired too!

Effexor makes makes me tired too. If I allowed myself, I could easily sleep 15 plus hours a day. As it is, I get about 9 hours of sleep and crash mid-day after work for two hours, and still sleep fine at night. Haha. Beats the depression I was fighting though!! I don't want to up the dose to see if it gives me more energy because I am hoping that eventually I can come off it. But right now it's a life saver. My parents wonder what is wrong with me, sleeping so much... But, meh, pick your poison I suppose. I find drinking lots of water seems to help a little. The worst for me is around 1-4pm. Apparently the more active you are, the more fatigued Effexor makes you. Ironic. I was going to buzz down to the health food store and see if the had B-complex health shake I could chug midday to give me a boost. B vitamins are great for energy and I don't do coffee or those god awful energy drinks. But yes, the drowsiness sucks. I take long walks with my mom to shake it, just to be outside. I'll take drowsy over sleepy. We already fought depression, now let's fight the sleepies!
AnnieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your lucky your not the types that get insomia with antidepressant medication i guess too little or too much sleep can be a problem. How's your modivation on effexor?
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

On effexor, I'm not tired per se - just unenergetic and unmotivated, which in tandem, makes me more prone to tiredness I suppose.
catcharay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

it makes me tired too, but i think all of the medications I've tried have.

i'm actually thinking about just weening myself off it.
GabrielAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I started Effexor, it made me tired...now I'm at 300 mg....it has gone away. The exhaustion went away after I got up to 150 mg.....so it hopefully should go away for you all.
DeafBoy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Weening off Effexor

Has anyone tried weening off Effexor? Any negative side effects?

My motivation is pretty lacking on Effexor too. Then again, it was pretty with the depression. I take Effexor for depression, and not anxiety (obviously from my comments)...though just two years ago and all of through high school and college (Im 25 now) I was crazy motivated, type A, 4.0, half marathoner... not sure what happened. Burn out?
AnnieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePHD View Post
In addition to the .5 Xanax i've been on all year my psychiatrist has switched me from Zoloft 100MG to Effexor XR 75MG.

I can't say my experience has been good. For one I don't feel any different which I suppose is normal since i've only been on the med a week. The problem is i'm sleeping like 18-20 hours a day. LITERALLY.

I've read on Wikipedia and other sites that somnolence is one of the most common side effects of Effexor but I never thought it would be this bad. I just can't stop sleeping. I wake up and go right back to sleep. It's like I just can't stay awake. Zoloft made me tired and I felt like zombie but I wasn't sleeping all day long. I can down 3 Xanax a day and not feel a thing but Effexor just knocks me out.

Has anyone else taken this med and had a similar experience? I'm going to try stopping since it has only been a week. I really don't care what my doctor thinks. I can't deal with sleeping almost the entire day. That certainly isn't normal.
yeah - effexor @ 75mg makes me a bit lethargic. with wellbutrin xl 150mg added in, it pretty much went away
10PercentExtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Has anyone tried weening off Effexor? Any negative side effects?

My motivation is pretty lacking on Effexor too. Then again, it was pretty with the depression. I take Effexor for depression, and not anxiety (obviously from my comments)...though just two years ago and all of through high school and college (Im 25 now) I was crazy motivated, type A, 4.0, half marathoner... not sure what happened. Burn out?
yes. twice. once I was taking 75mg for 3 months and I stopped cold turkey. Felt weird for a day or two and then that was it.

second time, same dose for a month. I tried going cold turkey again. BIG mistake. nausea, hot flashes, sweats, mood swings for two weeks - it was terrible.

Advice: taper very slow. even to the point of counting the little spansules
10PercentExtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ironically you should feel better after increasing the dose past 150mg.
It only starts working on Norepinephrine at higher doses