Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Drowsiness from Xanax / benzo. Does it go away with time?

39K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  sga1688 
#1 ·
Well, does it?

I have read that it does, but I am not quite sure, anyone know for sure? I am too lazy/no time to read up literature on this right now. Thanks!

#4 ·
I sure hope you are right, I am sleeping off too many evenings after coming home from school/work. I don't like these medications much so far, they definitely help with anxiety but make me feel chronically lousy. Maybe this will change with few more days of use. fingers crossed.

#8 ·
Depends on the benzo somewhat, xanax is short acting enough that it won't accumulate when taken daily, a longer acting benzo like klonopin on the other hand will accumulate if taken daily, so it may cause more drowsiness (this is assuming you're taking benzos on a daily basis.)

#12 ·
i guess it just depends on your level of tolerence to the drug and benzos in general.

My depression makes me sleepy, but not medications including 2mg shots of klonopin.

For a newbie, yea i think they could make him or her pretty sleepy.
benzos loose their punch after several months.

#15 ·
Dont get any drowsiness from 10mg xanax either, but also no benefits lol.

#17 ·
I just started yesterday and was previously on klonopin, ran out and the re-order got screwed up so I had to be off of anything for about a month. I did in fact have some "brain zaps" that awoke me out of my sleep. I got the Xanax and immediately took two 1mg tabs. I don't even remember what I did the day before, total blackout. I didn't do anything stupid, just my normal routine but I can't remember it. Also felt just like sleeping, which I did. I am going back to klonopin.

#18 ·
Xanax is definitely powerful. Fast acting relief for my panic attacks. But the hour and a half after I take a 5 mg is very sedative. I am clumsy, out of it, confusion and altered speech. It's fantastic for what it's meant for just remember the initial dose will put you under. The anxiety/panic will subside but leave you feeling "out of it" for the next hour or two. Granted, I am very sensitive to all drugs, perhaps you won't feel that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.