X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default does adderall balance ssris?

does anyone find that adderall helps with the lack of emotion that ssris can cause? more specifically positive emotion?
InterestinglyInteresting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

For me taking adderall and lexapro together... it was too activating cause too much insomina my body just felt like crap, after awhile the depression from amp's just overwhelm the ssri i felt, plus i had high blood pressure i shouldn't of been on adderall anyway's, everyone different tho im sure there people that have used ssri and adderall successfully on this forum, amp's just made me feel empty in side,

~~The best lesson learned in life are what is not taught they are learned.

~~We used to think the world was flat, Now we think its round, But are thinking is still flat, It needs to be round, So really are reality hasn't changed.

~~The difference between the known and the unknown, Is a half cup of fullness or, A empty cup of fullness, The difference in faith of believing and not believing,
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wouldn't Adderall defeat the purpose of the SSRI? Most on this forum have anxiety and need to calm down.

In my case, I had too much emotion. I was too wired and anxious all the time. I needed to calm down and the SSRI did just that for me.

--- Thomas Jefferson
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Adderall peps up my mood a little bit on prozac, but you have to be careful that you don't take it in order to feel euphoric. thats how addiction starts.
wxolue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

How is prozac n adderall... i wonder if it work better then lexapro and adderall hmmm

~~The best lesson learned in life are what is not taught they are learned.

~~We used to think the world was flat, Now we think its round, But are thinking is still flat, It needs to be round, So really are reality hasn't changed.

~~The difference between the known and the unknown, Is a half cup of fullness or, A empty cup of fullness, The difference in faith of believing and not believing,
Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

It is a fact SSRI in many people cause a lack of emotion and motivation etc after extended use. I know this happened to me. After years using SSRIs I didnt feel anxious or depressed but couldnt feel emotion , didnt have any motivation to do anything and was just so apathetic that i did litle to nothing apart from browse internet, watch tv , drink beer etc. I was never like that before. Prozac is actually one of the better SSRIs in that regard as it hits dopamine and norepherine in a few parts of brain.
I have heard low dose ritalin works well with ssri rather than amphetamine.
stillsearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've never noticed Adderall to cause much of an improvement in mood when taking an SSRI. Some SSRIs can help a little (not that significant) with the Adderall crash though.
tea111red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had to start taking a small amount of adderall or else I could not stay awake. I would literally sleep all day long without it.
KatInKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

yeah i have to reinforce this...adderall combines awesome with ssris! i notice no subjective reduction in happiness, in fact the adderall relieves all the ssri side effects. sorry if your experience is different then mine

chemically the only way an ssri would reduce adderall is serotonin inhibits dopamine firing but enough addy takes care of that
InterestinglyInteresting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't really see the point in using it other than for ADHD-purposes. I tried Ritalin ER for a few weeks and even within the first week it started causing more depression/apathy/social withdrawl than it initially reversed. Together with benzo's worst long term option you can choose of.
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestinglyInteresting View Post
yeah i have to reinforce this...adderall combines awesome with ssris! i notice no subjective reduction in happiness, in fact the adderall relieves all the ssri side effects. sorry if your experience is different then mine

chemically the only way an ssri would reduce adderall is serotonin inhibits dopamine firing but enough addy takes care of that
what ssri you on? InterestinglyInteresting.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Depends, for very amotivational atypical depression, adderall and lexapro may be a power punch combo, but for bipolar spectrum disorders and such it could be like adding fuel to the fire.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

SSRI's are 5HT antagonists. Amphetamine are agressive DA and NT indirect agonists. If that's what you want to call a complementary balance for those three major NT's.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
SSRI's are 5HT antagonists. Amphetamine are agressive DA and NT indirect agonists. If that's what you want to call a complementary balance for those three major NT's.
Sexy sero retro interventions arent 5HT antagonists; they icrease serotonine and so activate all the serotonine receptors; wich causes side effects as some receptors do bad ****; a good stim can counteract those sides tough togheter with some time;then it shall work out.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes., SSRI stands for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. What this means is during a transfer of serotonin from one nerve to another, this medicine blocks the serotonin to travel back to the first nerve, and therefore creates a better chance of most serotonin neurotransmitters to travel to the second nerve. So, it "inhibits reuptake," making this type of psychiatric medication a "serotonin antagonist." An antagonist in this case, is referring to the blocking of the serotonin from going back into the first nerve cell. It can be a debatable term using antagonist as a term for SSRI's. As they don't bind a receptor but rather a transport protein.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Bottom line though is SSRIs enhance serotonin, Stimulants enhance dopamine and noradrenaline, to keep it in a simplistic manner.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
I don't really see the point in using it other than for ADHD-purposes. I tried Ritalin ER for a few weeks and even within the first week it started causing more depression/apathy/social withdrawl than it initially reversed. Together with benzo's worst long term option you can choose of.
In the case of AVPD amphetamine is the most effective treatment; in the case of SA its anxiolytics; also ritalin is too anxiogenic for many making amphetamine a better option.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote