X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 02-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you have to gain weight on maos like Nardil??? Help

Well, I'm new to this and I must thank you for these posts. They have been extremely helpful...riviting, in fact. In the last few months I have been on a whirlwind trying different meds. I'm sure you have all been there. After benzos, Topomax, selegiline, Adderall and dex, most with a bit of Provigil, I've finally discovered Nardil! SSRI's throw me into a fetal position and the others made me sick, hyper and/or tired. But after a few days on Nardil I'm feeling so light, happy and normal...seems like a miricle drug even at a small dose.. 15mgs.

My concern is that I lost 20 pounds this last year doing the South Beach diet, which has been a great accomplishment for me. My self esteem has rebounded and I'm fitting into clothes from years ago. However, even in the last few days I'm starting to get the munchies again...just a little, but it makes me nervous. My question is: do you have to gain weight with Nardil?? Is there anything you can do to counteract this side effect? I'm so happy and so sad at the same time. Too good to be true? Any thoughts? Thanks so much. Lynnie
lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Do you have to gain weight on maos like Nardil??? Help

Like TCAs & SSRIs ,weight gain is a side effect of nardil,but may be not for all persons,i dont think that there is anything to counteract this side effect.
a ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Anything that causes more serotonin in the brain may cause weight gain.
D.B. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't notice any weight gain and I've been taking Nardil for almost a year already. The only weight I gained is probably from the muscle mass I'm gaining from going to the gym on a regular basis.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks so much. I heard from my doc today that seretonin does increase insulen and that causes your appetite to go up, but staying clear of sugar and white carbs curbs the cravings. I feel so much better that a predicted 5 pound gain would be worth it, but it's too bad that such a great drug can't be made without these problems. Have any of you heard of Acomplia? This is a new appetite suppressing drug that has been approved of in Europe and is on the FDA list for the US. I wonder if it might be combatible with Nardil. I'll let you know if I hear anything and vice versa. Lynnie
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

No, it's not inevitable. It's just a challenge that you do have to deal with. I say try to work with it, because it sounds like Nardil is working great for you!

Papa's little helpers: Parnate 90 mg, Adderall 20 mg, Lamictal 300 mg, Xanax prn
Caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

thank you, Caedmon. I've been reading all the posts you guys have been active on. Who needs a doc? Just kidding, but it is so helpful to hear the wisdom of experience. Yes, Nardil so far is the smoothest, mood hightening helper I've found. Today I walked around my house and it felt like an entirely different abode. So warm and beautiful. Amazing the difference...and a bit scary that we are all so chemically suseptiblel!

Funny that Parnate put me to sleep. Obviously, we are all unique. Unfortunately, I have to ease off in a few weeks due to dental surgery with an IV. My Pdoc told me 5 days would be sufficient to "washout". Now that I've found "it" I have to give it up for a while, but I guess that's okay. I'm going to ask about Acomplia and will let you know. Lynnie
Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: re: Do you have to gain weight on maos like Nardil??? He

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnie
thank you, Caedmon. I've been reading all the posts you guys have been active on. Who needs a doc? Just kidding, but it is so helpful to hear the wisdom of experience. Yes, Nardil so far is the smoothest, mood hightening helper I've found. Today I walked around my house and it felt like an entirely different abode. So warm and beautiful. Amazing the difference...and a bit scary that we are all so chemically suseptiblel!

Funny that Parnate put me to sleep. Obviously, we are all unique. Unfortunately, I have to ease off in a few weeks due to dental surgery with an IV. My Pdoc told me 5 days would be sufficient to "washout". Now that I've found "it" I have to give it up for a while, but I guess that's okay. I'm going to ask about Acomplia and will let you know. Lynnie
Good!

Nardil can work miracles, I've seen it time and time again.

Papa's little helpers: Parnate 90 mg, Adderall 20 mg, Lamictal 300 mg, Xanax prn
Caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I dont know if you can add topamax to an MAOI but it decreases appetite and makes you lose weight as does Adderal and Dex.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Tried carrying the weight of the world, but I only have two hands... So wake me up when I'm older, when I'm wiser and I'm older
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

i guess im lucky,.. when i first started nardil, it lower my appetite. i had to force myself to eat something throughout the day. it stabalized and i got my old appetite back after a month or 2. just this past month or so, i cut my dosage of nardil from 60mg to 30mg, and i stopped taking 5-htp. now my appetite is lowered again, and i literally have to try and put food in my mouth. i guess im lucky, everyone responds differently. i also achieved my weight goal of 180lbs from 190lbs while my strength increased slightly, so i know i lost like 10lbs of fat. im close to fitting into these khakis i used to wear. =)