X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 08-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do some meds make you goofy?

I talked to someone who was on Paxil + Xanax and he said the meds helped alot, but he also said he tended to say/do alot of dumb stuff without thinking about the consequences beforehand. Have you guys experienced this at all? Do you care less? Do you find yourself worrying less about what othes think?
amysagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Do some meds make you goofy?

The point of meds for SA is to care less about what others think as SA is caring far too much about what others think of us.

What you're describing sounds like disinhibition -- what happens when your meds work too well and you don't give a damn what others think. Cut back on the Xanax dose and I suspect that problem would go away.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Neurontin in high doses tends to make me a little goofier than I already am by nature. It also disinhibits me and loosens my tongue sometimes - usually in a bad way (i.e. I'll say something that I've been wanting to say to someone for a long time knowing that it'd be inappropriate)

As for Xanax, in relatively high doses (w/ respect to my Rx'd dosage), it seems to put up a big shield around my brain that makes me not give a damn about the opinions of others - sometimes to an aggressive extent, which obviously isn't a personality quirk that I want showing its ugly head I do enjoy the strange "shielded" feeling, though. I imagine it's what non-SA'ers feel like on a daily basis, and I am forever jealous of their thick-headed "gift."

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

I feel silly sometimes from zoloft but im not sure to say the medication is changing my behavior rather than myself.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Celexa made me a bit strange the first few days but that seems to have gone away. I would say it seems to make me MORE forgetful which is a real negative, as I am very forgetful under the best of circumstances...
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysagirl
I talked to someone who was on Paxil + Xanax and he said the meds helped alot, but he also said he tended to say/do alot of dumb stuff without thinking about the consequences beforehand. Have you guys experienced this at all? Do you care less? Do you find yourself worrying less about what othes think?
I have been on excactly that combo. Xanax helped a lot on anxiety, while Paxil gave me more general anxiety, made me more nervous and made me oversleep even more. Also I didn't care about anything, and was rather dull and apathetic on Paxil. The reason I took it in the first place was not that it helped, but that the docs insisted that it helps - and would not give me a benzo like Xanax alone. First I quit Xanax, then I quit Paxil. The docs insisted and insists on giving me antidepressants though I am not depressed, so I insisted on getting Nardil as it also affects GABA, which is essential for SA we all know.

On Paxil I didn't care about anything, except, I did care alot about what other people was thinking about me.
thor_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ativan for my first time ever and ritalin sometimes made me goofy.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Tried carrying the weight of the world, but I only have two hands... So wake me up when I'm older, when I'm wiser and I'm older
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote